Indie/small press/OEL/unlicensed manga

AnimePicks

Completely Average High School Student
Do you guys read much unlicensed manga? I have been recently and now have a feature on my site which focuses on it.

If you do then which ones do you recommend? Also, how do you feel about unlicensed manga? Do you think it is worth the money?

I mean small press stuff, as in manga or small comics that are not licensed by large companies such as Tokyopop.

They either self publish or are published by a small company such as Sweatdrop.

Unlicensed = pirate, why the heck would you be paying money.
I assume you mean unlicensed for release in English in America. (the normal use of it on the internet)

Most people reading unlicensed stuff are reading scans. If they bought it they couldn't read it (language barrier), if they pirate it they can.

Only Japanese releases I collect are the Touhou Project manga.

Reaper gI said:
Unlicenced = pirate, why the heck would you be paying money.
I assume you mean unlicened for release in English in America. (the normal use of it on the internet)

Most people reading unlicenced stuff are reading scans. If they bought it they couldn't read it (language barrier), if they pirate it they can.

Only Japanese releases I collect are the Touhou Project manga.

I understand my use of the word 'unlicensed' may have been misinterpreted. This is what I meant:

I mean small press stuff, as in manga or small comics that are not licensed by large companies such as Tokyopop.

AnimePicks said:
I understand my use of the word 'unlicensed' may have been misinterpreted. This is what I meant:

So basically what you're saying is you don't mean unlicensed at all.

You merely mean its not published by one of the big players in the market. As they almost certainly have the "license" to publish it.
That is assuming they're printing manga legally.

If it's not self published it's licensed, even then it's sometimes licensed.
If you mean small press then say it.

As regards to stuff that is actualy manga and is unlicensed, that would be doujinshi. Doujinshi in English (not scans) is very, very, very rare.
http://shop.manga-pal.jp/index_en_jpy.html?keyword=circle_Firstspear One of the only circles that release bi-lingualy (the Strike Witches one is semi-canon). There's also a parody of the New Horizon English textbooks part done by kirbyM(http://walfas.org) (down atm) Not exactly manga though, more a second language English textbook made with create.swf.

http://shop.manga-pal.jp/goods_en_jpy_3530.html Also got some note recently, it's an Alice in Wonderland meta-parody pop-up book.

For smaller English manga publishers:
Vertical don't release too much, neither do Seven Seas.
Most of the realy small ones have died off though.

If you're on about OE Manga, then The Reids is a good read in my opinion even if it's not been updated for about a month

but what you're thinking of isn't unliscensed, it's just, like the other guys said, stuff that's on smaller publishers

Back