In Memorium: Yu-Gi-Oh! Creator Kazuki Takahashi (1961-2022)

Damn, this is very sad news and hits hard. Poor guy. An absolute legend to say the least.

I never got seriously into Yu-Gi-Oh but used to be delighted to catch episodes of the anime when it was on sky, it was great fun and Yu Gi is a great character with an unforgettable design. I also had a GBA Yu-Gi-Oh game as a kid which I had no idea how to play but I was enthralled by it none the less. Super super iconic franchise.

Wore my ygo shirt today in memory of.

Takahasi san is just loving all types of games, and the friendship that develops from playing with others. Taking these simple themes that can be appreciated by all ages and making a fun and suspenseful tale with it gives yu-gi-oh the well deserves status as a classic.

I have many good memories. From the early days of watching the original anime on UK tv, getting my first starter deck, getting my mum to drive me real far to go to a tournament, being so excited for my brother when he unwrapped a super rare card! trading cards with people to build a themed deck, wathcing yu-gi-oh abridged and joking about it in secondary school, playing the GBA and DS games. Yu-gi-oh forbidden memories on PS1, that was amazing! The fun artwork for the monsters and characters and the slow build up to even more high-stakes games.

To this day, I still sometimes meet a random person and we discover that we both like yu-gi-oh and break out our completely ancient decks that would not stand up for a moment in the modern meta. But it doesn't matter, because are just playing the game with our low level monsters and building a friendship, just like in the first episodes.

Thank you Takahashi-san, you have helped make people all over the world create memories like mine.

Back