Importing anime

Jayme said:
PlayUSA are alright-ish. UP1 is your quickest anime bet. But DVDPacific is cheap.

Also. Amazon.com isn't that bad.

Yeah I just use Amazon.com. Although you might have to pay customs when they arrive.

Always use DVDPacific for orders under £18. For older titles that are sometimes out of stock, Roberts Anime Corner Store are very good, but extremely expensive, they do put items down to avoid customs however. Up1 are expensive, but are worth it for things over £18.

To be honest, most new-age TVs are able to cope with either or, adapting where needed. All of the TVs in our house can play American and Englis DVDs, with no modification.

Really, it's only if you think your TV is so old that it would unlikely have NTSC support in which case you should check. If you already have a multi-region DVD player, why not just buy one really cheap NTSC DVD to try out?

Can anyone tell me if DVD Pacific add the price of shipping onto the price they show on the parcel?

I want to buy series 1 and 2 of Get Backers - The price without shipping being £17 each. DVD Pacific also have FMA series 1 (16 episodes) for £16.46 (inc postage)...

Or watch DVDs on your computer. If you download CCCP and use Media Player Classic (and lots of other players I'm sure), it's region free, and the PAL/NTSC probably doesn't matter.

Haha, we posted at the exact some time.

Your DVD drive in your computer isn't region free by default. You can easily fix this by downloading software that makes your DVD drive region free.

Aion said:

Your DVD drive in your computer isn't region free by default. You can easily fix this by downloading software that makes your DVD drive region free.

That's why I said use MPC ; ). It uses the dvd-decoder software that comes with the dvd drive and bypasses the region coding.
In response to your DVDPacific question. From when I get packages it seems the value of the product inside is written on the customs label. I've also read on AnimeOnDVD that the customs people just take that value to be the final one and just put it through without checking delivery.
I'm not saying that's 100% correct though. I've ordered two items over £18 (by less than £1) and they've both got here fine so I guess that's proof.

DaNiMe-sama said:
Aion said:

That's why I said use MPC ; ). It uses the dvd-decoder software that comes with the dvd drive and bypasses the region coding.
In response to your DVDPacific question. From when I get packages it seems the value of the product inside is written on the customs label. I've also read on AnimeOnDVD that the customs people just take that value to be the final one and just put it through without checking delivery.
I'm not saying that's 100% correct though. I've ordered two items over £18 (by less than £1) and they've both got here fine so I guess that's proof.

Oh, never tried using MPC to play my DVD's before...

Messed around with my R1 Chrono Crusade DVD's a few hours ago to check, discovering the volume seemed to keep going up and down during the OP when viewing with PowerDVD and my normal DVD playing software. o_O

Gah, was hoping you'd be 100% sure about DVD Pacific. There's a fine line between getting all 49 (I think 49?) episodes of Get Backers for under £40 or getting stung by customs for another £30-40 on top. Hate the UK.

Back