Import Limit to Raise

Whoopie!! £118 limit as long as it does get implimented over here properly. No more messing around for me checking the release dates on things to make sure they are sent individually.

HOLY ****!

I'm sorry, but I've just been blown over.

I never thought this would ever happen :eek:

This has made me absolutely ridiculously happy.

Now, I wonder if they will do a scheme where you get back all the tax you paid over the years... I'd need about £500 back in that case.

Also... December 1st, I guess I'll just have to try and avoid importing large items then.

Furthermore, this is not good news for the likes of Up1 and Otaku, who put their prices to around the same as the import price + VAT + £8 handling fee, if they don't lower their prices by a significant amount there will be a significant decrease in their profits. I'd still buy odds and ends that I can't or don't want to import though, like books and odd Japanese imports that can't be got from the likes of CD Japan, etc.

I rely quite heavily on Up1 for boxsets, LEs and the more expensive singles (e.g., BVUSA titles), or if I want an item quickly. I'll continue to rely on them until the 1st of December, but when that time comes I'll probably shift to the likes of DVDPacific for A LOT more of my orders than I do currently.

Unless they reduce their prices significantly, as melonpan pointed out, then they've lost a VERY regular customer. (It sounds harsh, but a much lower price will always attract me).

What I am most shocked at is by how much the limit is going up, I thought it would only go up to around £20-£25 which would allow most DVDs through. I bet the Royal mail are not happy all those eight quids they won't be getting now, wait for the cost of postage to go up.

Zen 2nd said:
Good, cause all my Japanese imports get import tax and FedEx like to add a €10 admin charge to that too.

I try to keep my orders low enough now that they use normal post not courier, as I got stung by UPS a couple of times for the extra £13 charge on top of everything else.

You mean that actually gets enforced in Britain? You poor souls :eek:

Ive known that there was a European limit of €22, but I've been importing 360 games at €45 a pop from Play-Asia since Gears of War came out and I've never had a problem. DS games actually come in under the limit for the most part (american ones anyway).

I would have been doing the same for DVDs if I wasnt so lazy about picking up a region free player. I figure I may as well wait for HD to really take off and grab a high quality region free bluray player. You know, get in at the ground floor.

If I was charged the tax it just wouldn't be worth it :D

pneboy said:
does this mean if i order complete season boxsets that cost £155 that i wont see them

No it will mean you still get hit for the charges even after the limit goes up.

I just have to hope some of the Geneon box sets I have put off are still available from somewhere at the end of the year.

Seeing as this limit is in Euro's, and the the ratio of Pound Sterling to Euro is rapidly decreasing, it may well be 1:1 by December (although that's probably very steep), but you never know. So this could be even better than it first looks.

Also, I realise now that I can bundle lots of things together now instead of paying for shipping over and over again for each parcel to be under £18.

Back