Ike! Ike!

Gaomajiro

Completely Average High School Student
Wai ~. ^^

I thought I'd post a brief introduction in the hope that it'll provide a nice counterpoint to my fear that I'm making myself out to be a bit of an ogre in the Chinese government/anime thread.

So yeah, my name's Gaomajiro. I've been interested in anime since I was very young and lacked all the flashy words we now have to define such things. A hand Saint Paul-like epiphany during my later school years when Akira was first broadcast on BBC2 (IIRC) and Manga UK was founded. Nagai Go's DevilMan quite literally changed my life and it remains a constant favourite of mine despite its brevity.

I feel a bit out of place posting here as I get the impression that I'm slightly older than some of the people I've spoke to here and I feel acutely embarrassed about that.

I'm very fond of the Cantonese language and Chinese culture in general and have lived in a number of places in the UK. That probably makes me sound a bit more interesting that I am. Sorry.

Well…

Hallo. ^^

We have some oldies around the community. I'm 23 myself, not exactly old- but not a teenager either! ;)

Nice to see someone with strong opinions sign up.

Paul said:
Nice to see someone with strong opinions sign up.

I'm really pleased to be here ~ thank you for the warm welcome. I am a tad worried about being 'odd man out' and all but it's nice to see people like Mr B here as well as the younger generation. That makes me feel a little like less of an ****. ^^

Ever since I saw your profile I've been really dying to ask you about what Cambridge is like now as it's been a long time since I lived there but I'm too scared to actually hear the answer. ^^

Suffice to say, I really love(d) that city in the 'old days'. ^^

Trust me man, this is one place where you won't feel like the odd man out, opinions are valued here and its always good to talk about what you like/dislike about anime and manga.

And theres no such thing as age here, I'm 25 (60 according to my girlfriend, I can't help it if I like wearing slippers and going to bed early to read a good manga)

McIcy said:
Trust me man, this is one place where you won't feel like the odd man out

Thank you for the kind words. ^^

And theres no such thing as age here, I'm 25 (60 according to my girlfriend, I can't help it if I like wearing slippers and going to bed early to read a good manga)

AH! I can totally see where you're coming from. I'm most certainly in the 'cardigan and slippers on a Friday night' camp. ^^

I'm actually not as nervous as I was when I first signed up as, since then, I've noticed a handful of members who are older than me ~ which makes me feel much better. ^^

I'm sure half of this nervousness about age (aside from the ever-present 'How do I function in an adult world when the goalposts keep on moving?' issue) is brought on all the more by the age vs. depiction of lead characters in anime. I cringe everytime I'm reminded Air Gear's Ikki is 13/14 or Ichigo from Bleach is 15 ~ why was I never that cool when I was a kid? *cries*

Welcome to the forums Gaomajiro!, i'm still pretty young..only 17. I also have quite an interest in the cantonese language..i thought maybe after i'm able to get through uni(if i even get in next year) i will take some time out to learn the language.
Anyways enjoy your stay here on the forums :)

Arbalest said:
I also have quite an interest in the cantonese language..i thought maybe after i'm able to get through uni(if i even get in next year) i will take some time out to learn the language.

It's a really rewarding language to speak, IMHO. I'm nowhere near the point of fluency but I like to think I'm slowly getting there, little by little.

Be prepared though for *everyone* in the world to ask you why you aren't learning Mandarin instead though.

Anyways enjoy your stay here on the forums :)

Thank you very much. ^^

[quote="Gaomajiro]

Be prepared though for *everyone* in the world to ask you why you aren't learning Mandarin instead though.

[/quote]

Oh thats a simple one..i have friends who are from Hong Kong and they speak Cantonese..so thats my reason why i prefer to learn cantonese to mandarin :)

Arbalest said:
[quote="Gaomajiro]
Oh thats a simple one..i have friends who are from Hong Kong and they speak Cantonese..so thats my reason why i prefer to learn cantonese to mandarin :)
[/quote]

That's awesome ~ nothing beats having friends who are native speakers and can help you with some of the difficult pronounciation/tones...and teach you all the rude words that never make it into textbooks. ^^

Hi there welcome to the forum ^^
Age doesn't matter here really, as McIcy said, we all value each others opinions and get on great. It's a really fun forum to be apart of so it's great you signed up!
I hope you have a fun stay. =3

XxNeko-FeixX said:
It's a really fun forum to be apart of so it's great you signed up!

Thank you ~ I really do appreciate it!

I notice Maria-sama in your top #10 list as well. I really am going to have to track down that DVD set at some point. ^^

Gaomajiro said:
XxNeko-FeixX said:
It's a really fun forum to be apart of so it's great you signed up!

Thank you ~ I really do appreciate it!

I notice Maria-sama in your top #10 list as well. I really am going to have to track down that DVD set at some point. ^^

Hai indeed! I love it ^_^

Hi! and welcome ^__^

You never actually stated your age but it can't be that bad surely?
I'm 40 on November 7th and I know there is one other member whose a few months older than me - that made me feel better I can assure you :lol:
Besides age is a state of mind and you're only as old as you tell yourself you are. I'm around 17 in my head (always a shock when I look in a mirror ^__^).

XxNeko-FeixX said:
Hai indeed! I love it ^_^

I remember seeing the first episode yoinks ago but never saw anything after that. I really will have to look into this further! Have you been following Strawberry Panic! as well, by any chance?

Miaka-chan said:
I'm 40 on November 7th and I know there is one other member whose a few months older than me - that made me feel better I can assure you :lol:

^^

You're definitely my superior in the age ranking ~ I feel as if I should say thank you...which would make me sound like an idiot...so I won't. Seriously though, it is comforting to know that I'm not on an island and there's still a future in fandom long after the point at which I'm currently at.

I really respect you for being so honest about age and fandom; you're my new role model. ^^

Guyver 0 said:
That's My Birthday aswell!!! and Gaomajiro you managed to insult me in your first post! :) joking

Hahahah! ^^

Seriously, I still feel a bit bad about that. ^^ You have my full permission to kick me in the head if I start to come across as too blunt, Guyver 0 ~ I really am lame when it comes to trying to say things in the right way!

Gaomajiro said:
I remember seeing the first episode yoinks ago but never saw anything after that. I really will have to look into this further! Have you been following Strawberry Panic! as well, by any chance?

No I Havn't but it's on my list. There are just too many I want to see >.>

XxNeko-FeixX said:
No I Havn't but it's on my list. There are just too many I want to see >.>

I really love it. I'm up to episode #8 so far and it's just...absolutely everything I could ever ask of a romance anime. ^^

Back