I need some help buying new shows!

devilrules666

Combat Butler
I was just wondering what everyone thought of Burst Angel, Kiddy Grade, FLCL, Bubblegum Crisis 2040 and Gungrave were like? I am looking to buy then but I wanted your opinions. Well I will leave you to it!

The only one i've watched/watching from that list is Gungrave and so far its a pretty alright show, though it does jump back into the shows past after the first ep to tell the backstory of the characters. Personally i'm liking the backstory part more then what the first episode shown.

And I've only seen FLCL - enjoyed it but it is quite random and crazy, ie: don't watch it hoping for deep characters or a coherant plot. Very good fun though if you like that sort of thing.

I was wondering about that cause I watched the first episode on a sample dvd and it looked like a blow **** up show with no character arcs. So after the first episode it goes back to the beginging?

Out of the ones listed I'd say for FLCL or Bubblegum Crisis 2040. First if just waked out weirdness of the highest order. The BC2040 is a fun girls with guns/mecha series unless you've seen and liked the orginal, as everyone who loved the orginal seems to have despised the remake.

FLCL is my favourite by a huge margin of that list. Great show, very experimental and fresh. It's more expensive per minute than the others but it's such high quality that I don't care.

Gungrave I found extremely boring and stopped buying partway. It is however very popular and regularly described as the best game-related anime there is bar none. If you like Trigun and think the premise sounds interesting it's probably a good one to go for.

Burst Angel is another show that isn't my type... Sy posted a review of the OAV the other day which might give you a feel for the kind of thing to expect. The show itself is not going to change anyone's life but again if it interests you, there's nothing deeply wrong with it either and you'll be entertained.

Kiddy Grade is criticised for having an overly complicated plot (and a mildly disturbing title). I liked this one a little more than Burst Angel and the stylised character designs are interesting. Again I'd check out some trailers and if you can live with not always understanding whether the plot is going anywhere or not it's not a terrible choice.

BGC2040 annoyed me and I only bought one volume. Have you seen the original BGC? That might be a positive or negative thing depending on how much you enjoyed it and how well you cope with them changing characters. The animation is a little scrubby due to it coming out in an era where computer digital was still new. It has some good songs too (though none are a patch on the old OAV...).

R

I was wondering about that cause I watched the first episode on a sample dvd and it looked like a blow **** up show with no character arcs. So after the first episode it goes back to the beginging?

Not quite, it does have an overarching story, but it doesn't make a lot of sense (and I don't imagine it's supposed to). It never quite reaches the height of random insanity that is Excel Saga, if you've seen that.

The best word to descride FLCL would be "unique". It has a very unique art and animation style, cast of characters and an excellent (and fitting) soundrack. If that appeals to you, and you don't go into it expecting a "normal" story then give it a go.

ayase said:

Not quite, it does have an overarching story, but it doesn't make a lot of sense (and I don't imagine it's supposed to). It never quite reaches the height of random insanity that is Excel Saga, if you've seen that.

The best word to descride FLCL would be "unique". It has a very unique art and animation style, cast of characters and an excellent (and fitting) soundrack. If that appeals to you, and you don't go into it expecting a "normal" story then give it a go.

I think he was talking about Gungrave there...:p

@Rui- i would of never made a connection with Trigun....Trinity Blood on the other hand.

sigh i should really check out FLCL, i like random madcap humour as in Excel Saga

I will give FLCL a chance if it isn't as mad as excel saga! i didn't get on with excel saga! Oh can I watch the Burst Angel OVA before watching the show? It isn't set after the show right? Also what about Negima and Suzaka? Anyone got a opinion on those two?

BlackWolf said:
@Rui- i would of never made a connection with Trigun....Trinity Blood on the other hand.

I think the Trigunesque character designs bias me a little but IIRC they share a creator. I don't really like Trigun either so assumed something in the feel of the show was similar too ;)

Trinity Blood however I do like. The gorgeous looking characters by one of my favourite designers might play some part in it...

R

Rui said:
BlackWolf said:

I think the Trigunesque character designs bias me a little but IIRC they share a creator. I don't really like Trigun either so assumed something in the feel of the show was similar too ;)

Trinity Blood however I do like. The gorgeous looking characters by one of my favourite designers might play some part in it...

R

That's fair enough :) I loved Trigun, and i thought Trinity Blood was alright for the record but i've been told to look into the novels for what its really capable of.

devilrules666 said:
I will give FLCL a chance if it isn't as mad as excel saga! i didn't get on with excel saga! Oh can I watch the Burst Angel OVA before watching the show? It isn't set after the show right? Also what about Negima and Suzaka? Anyone got a opinion on those two?

FLCL is utterly bonkers but not in the same madcap parody way as Excel Saga. ES had a lot of obscure referential jokes which would fly under peoples' radars and annoy them, as well as no real continuing plot and characters with as much depth as a puddle. FLCL does have a plot. Don't expect it to be too straightforward, though. I think it's possible to like one without the other (though not liking FLCL would be weird!). I love both!

I won't give opinions on those others as neither has any appeal to me at all so it wouldn't be fair ;)

R

What kind of anime do you like? FLCL is the only one you listed that I would unreservedly recommend; it's a surreal show with a manic energy typical of Gainax and great animation. You'll probably be left confused, at least after the first viewing, but dazzled by the visual inventiveness on display.

I like anime with good characters in that I can relate to. Some of my fav anime is fruits basket, natruo, gundam seed, full metal panic, bleach, black lagoon, gilagmesh, fullmetal alchemist ,ROD TV and witch hunter robin. If you want you can add a couple of shows that i haven't put down to recommend if you want! I am open to suggestions!

An open suggestion would be to look at other Gundam shows (if you willing to wait for Region 2 releases, Gundam 00 should be making it over here next year) Have you tried some older shows like Cowboy Bebop?

devilrules666 said:
i have got eva and cowboy bebop! also got gundam seed destiny amnd gundam wing! what gundam do you recommend?
You didn't just ask Black to recommend Gundam to you did you... :eek:

Have you got all week? :lol:

Well seeing as you have the up to date stuff, have a look at the older stuff, the three mobile suit gundam movies being first port of call. Also if you liked eva and don't mind a mecha show that is heavily inspired by it then check out Rahxephon :)

Back