i just watched the rebuild of evangelion and...

skikes

Stand User
im so so so so so so soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disapointed! :eek:

its the exact same thing! it just look prettier!
and when i say the exact same thing i mean scene for scene word for word of like the first 6 eps... i mean, dont get me wrong i enjoyed it, im a total eva fan boy to the end, and i wud probs recommend this to new comers of eva... if theres any newer comers still left.

but from what i can tell from the preview of second movie is that that is where itll really start to break away from the original series.... i cant wait ^_^

They took out a lot of moments I appreciated in the anime, like Shinji meeting his class mate with the glasses in the wilderness. They just made it more shiny and classy instead of the old animation it used to have [I LOVED Evangelion's original GAINAX animation, damn it] so far it's just giving what fans DEMAND, really, I mean, I saw Doritos advertisements and Rei's nipple, confirmed for fanservice. OST is great though, especially that one tune "Angel of Doom"

Also, Evangelion was good enough the way it was, if it's not broken, why fix it?

Lupus Inu said:
Also, Evangelion was good enough the way it was, if it's not broken, why fix it?

1. It's long enough now that the original series is fading from memory.

2. Eva is a huge cash cow, and by doing new movies Gainax guarantees financial stability till at least THE END OF TIME ITSELF. In another 20 years or so they'll unpack Anno from cryogenic storage and get him to do an OVA retelling the story again.

this is a just a reboot, the next two (or was it three) movies should pick up where the tv series and the original movies left off...

Actually there's four movies, the first two retell the series while the third retells End of Evangelion, and i'm assuming that the fourth is set after End of Eva and concludes the story with one of those "what happened next..." tales

Before I watched it I went in wondering what the point was in remaking it so I would need a lot of convincing that it was worthwhile. After I finished watching to me it was just all to clear that it was made to create another cash flow for Anno and Gainax. A lot of the heart of the series was removed from this version for me and turned it into something rather impersonal that I don't really care for.

I'm still holding out for a DVD release but something tells me I'll be waiting a very long time :/

BlackWolf said:
Actually there's four movies, the first two retell the series while the third retells End of Evangelion, and i'm assuming that the fourth is set after End of Eva and concludes the story with one of those "what happened next..." tales

Eh, I've no idea where you got that information but I'm fairly certain it's completely wrong. No one working on RoE has said anything to even suggest that the series of films will progress the way you have outlined.

We have no idea whether the third movie will re-tell EoE, and whether the fourth will be set after 3rd Impact. If the preview at the end of RoE 1.0 is anything to go by, the second movie will most definitely not be a direct re-telling of the series (Kaworu arrives much earlier, a new female character, and there was mention of "Lilin+" which has no connection to the original series).

hmm..after searching i can't seem to find the newsarticle which i got that information from :? but still maybe i should of used the word Re-imagining instead of retelling. Ah well guess that's what happens when i don't check on things for a while :p we won't know fully what the third film will be about till the second film debuts next year (assuming they have a teaser at the end of it for the third film)

From what I heard,2.0 will be another re-telling with some new characters,4.0 is said to be "a completely new ending to the series",but 3.0 is the real enigma,as Blackwolf said, it's content really depends on the ending to 2.0.Guess we'll just have to wait until next year when 2.o is speculated to be released. :?

I didn't mind it (it was never going to stand a chance against the series anyway), on it's own merits it's pretty good. Still, I hope that 2.0 does something more interesting than another remake.

Well I enjoyed it.

From what's been said, it feels a bit like Anno & Gainax can't win - some want it to be new and different, others want it to be faithful to the original. What Eva 1.0 is, in my opinion, is a retelling with a clearer storyline which is incorporating elements into the story earlier (Kaworu, Seele, Lilith etc.). Which they might as well, because it makes things a little more interesting to fans who have seen it before (ie: everyone).

If you don't like the rebuild - you'll always have the original series. At least Gainax aren't trying to replace the original like George Lucas with Star Wars.

ayase said:
... some want it to be new and different, others want it to be faithful to the original

who wants it to stay faithfull? the original series is perfect the way it is... they should have just done something completely different, ill probs get flamed for this but... i wud have been happy with anime version of angelic days.

i like where the movies "seem" to be going but the first one was just so.... the same :/

In some ways ayase is right. While the TV series focus was almost 100% about characters with the sci-fi setting serving more as a way to set up events these movies seem to be more focused on turning the franchise into a sci-fi extravaganza with glorious visuals but at the same time I felt the character work lost a lot of it's nuances and subtlety. Sadly it was the characters that made the series so memorable in the first place, not the story which I found to be pretty weak on it's own.

While the original TV series had a very personal depth to it I can't see these movies being much more than a commercial cash in.

skikes said:
ayase said:
... some want it to be new and different, others want it to be faithful to the original

who wants it to stay faithfull? the original series is perfect the way it is... they should have just done something completely different, ill probs get flamed for this but... i wud have been happy with anime version of angelic days.

i like where the movies "seem" to be going but the first one was just so.... the same :/

You wouldn't of been the first person i assure you

I was disappointed by the familiarity too - some of the updated animation looked better while some should have been left how it was. It does make for a smooth transition into the new storyline though - I can't wait to see why Kaoru was sitting on the moon with what looks like a second Lilith/Adam for instance.

Just to clarify, Anno didn't make this movie at Gainax at all - it's under the banner of 'Studio Khara'. It's probably a minor point since the production staff are pretty much the same but it's a fresh start of sorts. Chances are, the money from the Rebuild movies will be used to raise funds for the new studio!

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin said:
Just to clarify, Anno didn't make this movie at Gainax at all - it's under the banner of 'Studio Khara'.
Correct me if I'm wrong bought aren't Gainax gaining a lot of royalties from this project? Apparently Gainax are still involved somewhat in the production to some extent.

I'm wondering if I should bother watching it or not... while I still want more Eva, I'm not sure I want more for the sake of quantity alone....

How could anyone watch it without knowing it was going to be the same with nicer animation? I'll actually watch one of these movies when they bother to even make some changes.

Back