Hunter X Hunter

Red XIII

Straw Hat Pirate
In my continuing quest to spread awareness of this all too often overlooked series, I thought it was past time to start a thread about it. :D Anyway, for those who don't already know, Hunter X Hunter is a 62 episode TV series followed up by 3 OVAs (30 more episodes in total) that sadly has yet to be licensed. The story follows Gon, who spends the early years of his life living on Whale Island with his aunt Mito and believing that both his parents are dead. Of course, that wouldn't make for an interesting story, so in the first episode he finds out that his father is not only very much alive, but is also a famous Hunter. Naturally, Gon takes it into it his head to follow in his father's footsteps and leaves Whale Island (armed with a fishing rod, of all things) to attempt the notoriously difficult Hunter Exam.

Of course, shows like this always have a healthy cast of characters- as well as our hero, who falls into the 'pure hearted to the point of naivete, but still likeable' category, there are three other main characters and aspiring Hunters in the form of Leorio, a hot-head who initially seems only interested in money (he's meant to be 19, even though he looks older); Kurapica, who despite being cool and logical for the most part, is also consumed with a need to avenge the slaughtered members of his tribe (of which he is the last survivor), and Killua, a young yet accomplished assassin who seems to taking the Hunter Exam just for something interesting to do. And there's plenty of interesting recurring characters as well, such as the magician Hisoka, who has a penchant for inflicting mass slaughter with a pack of playing cards (trust me, it'll make sense once you start watching).

It might sound a little cliche at first, and the series does take a few episodes to hit its stride, but once the exam proper starts around episode 6 it becomes well and truly addictive. And if you're wondering how taking an exam can possibly fill a whole series, don't worry, because that's just the first story arc. In fact, the one thing that makes Hunter X Hunter really stand out from other Shonen Jump shows is that it never drags, there are no ten episode fights or dull sections of throwaway filler material. Be warned, though, the TV series ends rather abruptly- the OVAs are essential viewing to get the next part of the story.

Well, I've probably ranted enough, so I'll just close by saying how much I enjoyed this series, and let someone else post their thoughts...

I always suggest this anime to anyone, I love it and it is in my top 5 all time favourites. If you like Naruto, Bleach or anything like that you will like this, heck even if you don't like the shows you'll like this because I do.

The exam which takes up most of the 62 episodes is amazing and it is obvious that the ideas used here have been reproduced in other anime, but have never beaten the greatness that it has been done in HxH.

This is the only 50+ episode anime I have watched more than once and I'm currently watching it again, I'm into the first OVA now. I've also read the manga (which is available in english on Amazon) which is still being made and runs much further than the anime.

I love Hunter X Hunter, it is a most unique series with a supremely likable cast, in both incarnations as anime and manga. It's a show that, after seeing a few episodes, you'll rapidly devour more and more, until in the end such a lengthy anime will seem to have passed by in no time. It's a world away from most shounen jump titles, focusing on a story of friendship between the frankly cute-looking (except Leorio) heroes rather than Gon's desire to be the "BESTEST HUNTER EVAR." It certainly makes a change, the the exam concept makes it a comforting mixture of the familier and the new that suceeds in every way.

In short, Hunter X Hunter is one of those series that anyone could watch and enjoy immensely.

HxH has and always will be on of my fav shows, if not my fav anime of all times, i watched eps 16 - 25 in one good HxH chunk LOL, its has briliant story archs of friendship and sadness as well as action and comody. Anyone looking for an action show that dosent just focus on the action and is more about the actual development of the characters should deffinetly check HxH out. PS Hisoka still remains as one of the creepiest bad guys ive ever seen, but thats proberly cos i dont like clowns LOL 8)

As a rule I've never placed too much stock in anime of the Shonen Jump variety, alongside Bleach however, HxH is the exception. It's a sweetly amusing tale, that combines a well worn yet heartfelt tale with some endearing visuals.

It's also a series that will prompt pangs of nostalgia from fans of a certain age, thanks to it's rough hewn visuals and chirpy characters. No existential angst here, this is pure good old fashioned fun, that sets out to entertain with its unique brand of adventure and cast of captivatingly colourful characters - money-grabbing scrag end Leorio, being my fave. ;)

I started watching this just a little while ago, so far i'm only 5 episodes in and i didn't like it much at first, but it seems to be slowly picking up, i've heard alot of people found the same, so i should get my act together and watch some more, i'm sure it's the kind of thing i will really enjoy

Back