Howl's Moving Castle on BBC2 in December; Ghibli anime on TV

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In what is fast becoming an annual tradition during the festive month of December, three of anime films from <strong><em>Studio Ghibli</em></strong> will be appearing on UK TV over the coming weeks. Although not nearly as much is airing as in previous years, the <em>Ghilbi</em>-related TV schedule for December (barring any late additions) is as follows:
<ul> <strong>Thursday 18 December</strong>
<li>Pom Poko (Channel 4, 1:55am)</li>
<li>Whisper of the Heart (Channel 4, 4:00am)</li>
<strong>Friday 26th December</strong>
<li>My Neighbour Totoro (FilmFour, 1:00pm)</li>
<strong>Sunday 28 December</strong>
<li>Howl's Moving Castle (BBC2, 10:05am)</li>
<strong>Monday 29 December</strong>
<li>The Cat Returns (FilmFour, 4:50pm)</li>
<strong>Wednesday 31st December</strong>
<li>The Cat Returns (FilmFour, 1:00pm)</li>
<strong>Thursday 1 January</strong>
<li>My Neighbour Totoro (FilmFour, 1:00pm)</li>
</ul>
In terms of leaving an impression on a large number of people, the BBC2 broadcast of <strong><em>Howl's Moving Castle</em></strong> will be particularly interesting, given it's relatively good timeslot on such a widely available terrestrial TV channel.
<strong>Update</strong>: <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?p=215696#215696">Thanks to <em>Just Passing Through</em></a>, we have updated the above list with several new broadcasts, not least of all the appearance of <strong><em>My Neighbour Totoro</em></strong> on Film4.

I find it interesting that Howl's castle has actually been given a poorer timeslot than when they shows Spirited Away.

If i remember correctley, Spirited Away was shown on Boxing day at 6pm a year or two ago. I can't help but thinking that time slot is more aimed at children (it is a sunday morning after all) Same could be saide for channel 4, 4am, c'mon.

Only Yesterday was on Channel 4 last night at 1:30 am, followed directly by The Little Norse Prince. They're having a Takahata season so it's best to keep an eye out for more.

Check those PVRs

Howl is easily one of my favourite Ghibli films (I know many disagree with me on its quality). Hopefully a legion of future fans with my sense of taste will be created from this!

I think that it's one of the easier ones to get into from channel hopping too.

R

Is out of here said:
Is there any box set out there on the ghibli collection?
There was quite a nice looking (non-bootleg) Hong Kong Collection a few years ago, but it's long out of print and I have no idea if the subs were good quality.

On the upside, even the two disc editions regularly go on sale for £5-£6 (especially at hmv.com) and I imagine it's only a matter of time before Blu-rays appear and the DVD price plummets like a stone.

Howl's Castle and Spirited Away are down there on my list with some of the lowest scores I've given. I hated them so much after seeing an endless amount of praise given to them. I'd rather see decent anime on TV and not just anime with good animation.

I still don't see the need to report this kinda thing when downloading exists and it's too much of a hassle to be glued to the TV at a certain tme, but whatever.

Yeah, whilst it's cool we're geting anything (even though Castle of Cagliostro is supissiously absent) geting the same thing year on year off isn't going to do much for anything.

We seeriously need someone to have the balls to pick up something and run it. I won't sully the name of Ghibli by mentioning them in the same thread (cuz I know how people are about that) but something in the shonen action genre airing on CBBC would be much apreciated. I meen the Toonami edits of a ton of shows are there, all they need is to ask.

And it's not like UK broadcasters are adverse to taking a knife to those anyway.

Aion said:
I still don't see the need to report this kinda thing when downloading exists and it's too much of a hassle to be glued to the TV at a certain tme, but whatever.

I'd rather watch it on my TV than waste my bandwidth downloading it illegaly.

Re: Howl's Moving Castle on BBC2 in December; Ghibli anime o

Paul said:

</ul>

I stayed up and watched these two last night, very, very good films indeed.

Re: Howl's Moving Castle on BBC2 in December; Ghibli anime o

Nyu said:
Paul said:

</ul>

I stayed up and watched these two last night, very, very good films indeed.
Those times are outrageous... well, anyway, glad to see any anime on TV even on times like that and whisper of the heart is a great ghibli movie.

Pom Poko was a bit of a disappointment, or would have been if I'd bought the DVD instead of just recording it off the TV, but Whisper of the Heart was fantastic. Reminded me a lot of Only Yesterday actually. Now that is worth picking up on disc.

Martin said:
Pom Poko was a bit of a disappointment, or would have been if I'd bought the DVD instead of just recording it off the TV, but Whisper of the Heart was fantastic. Reminded me a lot of Only Yesterday actually. Now that is worth picking up on disc.

Couldn't agree more. Whisper of the Heart is very, very good at what it sets out to do. I enjoyed the whole Country Road sub plot as well. Although it was a bit weird hearing it in Japanese.

I just liked everything about the film. The characters were great, art work was the usual Ghibli standard, the voice cast was spot on. I really don't have many complaints about the film, possibly the last 5 minutes were a bit bit dissapointing for me but i'm just clutching at straws.

Nyu said:
I enjoyed the whole Country Road sub plot as well. Although it was a bit weird hearing it in Japanese.
I thought it sounded ten times better in Japanese. Explains why I rarely watch dubs, I guess. I've always felt the ending was a little rushed and on the schmaltzy side but as you say, it's a minor compaint about an otherwise wonderful film. I like Pom Poko too, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. ;)

@Will - Spirited Away is on a fairly regular rotation on Film4 from what I've noticed.

Back