Howl's Moving Castle gets an Oscar nomination

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Hayao Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle has succeeded in being nominated for an Oscar at this year's Academy Awards. It will be up against The Curse of the Were-Rabbit and Corpse Bride in vying for the "best animated film" award; the winner of which will be announced on the 5th of March.

Hayao Miyazaki's previous movie Spirited Away won this same award in 2002.

I think it's achievement enough for it to make it this far. I don't expect it's going to win (it's a very tough year), but at least this year it won't end up going to another Pixar film...

kupoartist said:
I think it's achievement enough for it to make it this far. I don't expect it's going to win (it's a very tough year), but at least this year it won't end up going to another Pixar film...

Don't like Pixar?

I like Pixar, I just don't like Disney! :p

It is a tough year, especially considering Howl's isn't IMO quite as good as Spirited Away was. I'm a big fan of Nick Park's and Tim Burton's stuff (Planet of the Apes notwithstanding) as well though so I'm glad to see it was these three that made it through to the nominations!

subedii said:
Don't like Pixar?
Concrete badger said:
I enjoy pixar's movies immensely. Don't like Disney, but they're non-entities now anyway. What I don't like is that Pixar wins at the Oscars are about as surprising as the punchline of a christmas cracker joke. Variety is the spice of life.

That said, I don't really like 3D animation in movies. I'm less endeared by Pixar's films than those that emulate traditional cell-based animation, and some of the stuff that Dreamworks puts out makes me want to puke.

From what I've read, the general opinion seems to be that Howl isn't as good as Miyazaki's best efforts. I'll have my fingers crossed anyway, and it's nice that there is a British movie up there too :)

Concrete badger said:

Well thankfully the Japanese enjoy it otherwise we wouldn't even have anime!

Well done Howl's Moving Castle, although I'm torn between that and the Corpse Bride. In terms of animation quality it blew me away...

Melainy said:
American animation is often cited as being a driving force behind Japanese anime, but it's not the sole driving force. Disney alone didn't make animation possible, and there are examples of animation from Japanese authors that predate disney.

kupoartist said:
Melainy said:
American animation is often cited as being a driving force behind Japanese anime, but it's not the sole driving force. Disney alone didn't make animation possible, and there are examples of animation from Japanese authors that predate disney.

Correct, but stereotypical aspects including large eyes and extravagent movement are said to be inspired by Disney. In terms of the general art style it had a definite impact.

What exactly is wrong with Disney anyway? Not only is the classic animation some of the best of it's time, it also features some groundbreaking elements such as using CGI within animation and the ability to transform with the times, with stories not just focusing on cute and cuddly animals, but bullying (Dumbo), political argument (The Fox and the Hound) and death within the family (Bambi, The Lion King). Kids can relate to that, and it makes parents think. Plus, every story has a happy ending, trying to show that through every trial some good can still come out of it.

I grew up watching Disney films and even though I didn't understand the more serious sides of it, some of the characters are just genius. And the songs are fantastic!

Im sorry but ill be rooting for Wallice and Grom, Nick Park the guy who created it is from Preston (thats were I live). I wouldnt be bothered if any of them win cus Tim Burton rocks

It would be great to see Howl's moving castle get the oscar, but then again a british film is in the runnings so either way i will be happy. also..i don't mind disney.

Melainy said:
What exactly is wrong with Disney anyway?
Very little with the animation side of Disney has anything wrong with it. They managed to kill themselves off when they actually got bad, so there are no issues. The thing is, the animation aspect of Disney is about 0.5% of the big picture. "Disney" is a name for a buisness of a despicable size. It's a monster that I try to avoid feeding if at all possible, but is nonetheless impossible.

There been claims that Disney use subliminal messages in their films. One person says that in a split second of one of the films there is naked woman. Probably just the animators having a bit of a laugh at parents expenses.

mikeormy said:
There been claims that Disney use subliminal messages in their films. One person says that in a split second of one of the films there is naked woman. Probably just the animators having a bit of a laugh at parents expenses.
That was (supposedly) in Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Warner Bros, I think, not Disney), where Jessica Rabbit's dress was alleged to have slipped in one particular frame.

Oh thats really good, i've been meaning to have a look at the nominations for a few days now. It's lovely to see it nominated, but as everyone else has said, i don't think it will win, personally my money is on Curse of the Wererabbit, i think it's supposed to have done quite well in the states, unlike Corpse Bride, and i think they will give the creator point for how long they spent making it

actually its the takeoff scene on the rescuers when they used real backgrounds.

and it is real i have the original video with it on :s

Back