how many attempts to get your driver's license?

Ouch!

I got mine first time (on both). I'm a really bad driver, just very good at tests, so I much prefer taking public transport now while I'm living in London.

At least if you can already drive the tests here shouldn't be too bad for you. Good luck!

R

Have you ever seen that goofy cartoon where he transforms whenever inside a car?

I'm a little bit like that =D

Anyway, I was checking the direct gov website and I'm a bit confused. You can actually drive with a provisional license as long as you pass the theory test?

I've got my provisional now, turning 17 is the next on my checklist to drive. I'm actually quite nervous, and know next to nothing about cars.

"INB4DBZDrivingSchool"

Hah, i've actually not even got my provisional yet, and, to be honest, i don't really plan to get one any time soon. Ok i can see it being better at least in terms of money to pass the test, but i don't really need to drive a car at the moment, since public transport works easily enough for me, mainly because i don't have to go too far out of edinburgh usually.

Arbalest said:
Hah, i've actually not even got my provisional yet, and, to be honest, i don't really plan to get one any time soon. Ok i can see it being better at least in terms of money to pass the test, but i don't really need to drive a car at the moment, since public transport works easily enough for me, mainly because i don't have to go too far out of edinburgh usually.

I'm the same, i've got the forms for it (including the additional ones i need because of my diabeties) but i never did anything with them. That and my car insruance will probably be a stupid amount anyway if i did pass my test.

I'm only getting a driver license to be able to rent a car in Europe on my next holiday. On a daily basis,public transport works wonders for me. (except when it snows heavily, but I'm not complaining =) )

Back home you can't drive at all without a proper license. To learn to drive for the practice exam you used to have to pay for driving lessons, that's why it's not uncommom for people to fail the practice one.

They changed the law a bit and now you can practice driving without a license as long as you buy one sticker, similar to those we have in here, and have another qualified driver with you.

Passed my theory first time but had to retake it when the certificate expired. That was because I only passed my practical test on my fifth attempt. >_<

To be fair I wouldn't call myself a 'good' driver but I've never had an accident so I'm with Rui in that you can be of an acceptable standard but just lousy on tests.

The idea that your insurance goes down after you hit 25 is also a lie. If you're male and under 30 expect it to pay through the nose for it, just because of those 17-year old idiots in Corsas loading up with four friends and flying into trees/ditches.

Two attempts. Failed first time by mounting the pavement reversing around the corner. The examiner said I had not gone far enough, so thinking I was going to hit the curb and forgetting you are allowed to move forward to straighten up I just went for it. Since I got my license back in 1992 I have not had to do these new tests.

Martin said:
The idea that your insurance goes down after you hit 25 is also a lie. If you're male and under 30 expect it to pay through the nose for it, just because of those 17-year old idiots in Corsas loading up with four friends and flying into trees/ditches.

For me its going to be expensive no matter how old i am i think, risk of passing out at the wheel and all

Heard about that earlier. Brought a tear to my eye.

But as for me, once on both. I have no desire to get a car (mainly due to the hefty insurance and vehicle costs), so only really learnt because I could.

I intend to learn this year cause down in South Wales; Public Transport is practically non existant.

Edit// Thats on the assumption your allowed to learn to drive at 17?? I know **** about driving.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to be living in a city for the foreseeable future, so I'll have access to public transport and so I have no real desire to drive. When I do decide I want to drive though, the waiting lists to take the test are absurd in Ireland. I can, however, decide to take the test in Irish and be put on a much shorter waiting list :]

On a daily basis I have no desire to drive. The good thing about driving is renting a car on holidays. My friends photos holidays by car convinced me that renting a car is a good thing on holidays, because you can't stop a train or bus if you see something interesting.

I'm getting a license, but I'm not sure if I'll get me a car yet. If I do get a car, it must be a mustang =D

Theory test passed on 1st attempt.

Practical test passed on 2nd attempt
Failed first time moving to far away from the curb while reversing.

...that woman is a direct comparison of 'him'.

As for me, however... My dad was courteous enough to pay half of my driving license, so I only need to pay him £25. Once I get it, I'll be driving...

...and hopefully be knocking down old ladies.

Back