How do you find new Anime titles to watch?

i tend to look through forums such as this one for recommendations or a series which has a decent sounding description. i have thought about getting magazines such as NEWTYPE to see what they have to say, but never really got round to it. Some of the series i have looked at through this i have thought, great this is brilliant, though some i have wished i never did look into.

I just post what I've watched over on the Gamefaqs anime board and they recommend me a bunch of stuff everytime, and only very, very rarely am I let down, in fact I think Neon Genesis Evangelion was the only thing they recommended that I didn't like.

For me I usually log onto Play.com and starting at 'A' work my way through the list untill I get to 'Z' making a note of things that take my fancy.

Sometimes I take a look at a series that people on these forums start to rave about and If it looks like something I might like and it has an actual DVD release then eventually i'll look into getting it.

I normally buy stuff based on a show's reputation or if it has a decent-looking trailer. Also if a show's cheap I'm willing to buy it blind.

There’s some useful little tit-bits in there amongst your responses - its only been just short of a year since I started exploring this world of anime, so I still feel like I'm finding my way around/catching up to some extent.

One thing I did do when I first started was to take it upon myself to read the entire archive of Shelf Life columns over on ANN - proved fairly useful when Spirited Away and the GITS film are literally the only two things anime related you were aware of.

A current example - DeathNote & Kino's Journey, two series I’ve been enjoying recently - I can be thankful to users on this site for suggesting, recommending, talking about them in the forum threads – made me curious enough to go seek them out :D

Number of ways.
  • Forums (like this one)
    The cesspit of 4chan
    Blogs (start with one series you know/like, find a blogger reviewing it, see what else they talk about)
    Magazines (Newtype being my preference)
    ... a certain online asian video streaming site, named after the site managers favourite sushi
    ... certain torrent sites
    cheap prices

I use the page Random Curiosity to look at reviews and screenshots so i can decide what to find.I watch a lot of fansubs so then i know whats worth buying on dvd.

Usually browsing net

If I find something that looks interesting I check reviews via Anime News Network and see if there are an links to sites with trailers, if not I try youtube.

If the trailer and/or review are good tend to buy 1st volume, then I wait for boxset (hopefully digipack) or all releases to come out and then watch 1st volume. That reminds me still to watch Texnolyze Vol 1

When I first started watching, I looked down the Animenfo top 200 list and downloaded the ones that sounded interesting. The other thing I did (and still do) was download the anime on the KAA site since they only do high quality series.

Nowadays, I go on the NarutoFAN forums and check to see what series threads are most active.

Crunchyroll, if I see a series thats been posted a lot recently, I'll give it a go, usually though I get about four episodes in and loose interest, as for older series I watch the things that are mentioned a lot, such as evangelion has a nice long thread in this forum

Back