How do I improve my OK Cupid profile

Rui said:
Sure, nobody is going to attract everyone (Tachi's advice for example will work for some women but will completely turn others off) but you can definitely market what you have there if you ever decide you want to :)

R

This is true enough, its just as much a list of things they want in a man as you want in a woman.

I was trying to be as general as possible with my advice, chances are you will know alot more about who/what sort of woman you'd like to meet and cater yourself to what you think they would want within what you feel comfortable in changing or improving.

I'd have to say that the majority of guys have their most difficulties in just finding the confidence to make the first steps.

Either way, good luck to you.

Thanks Rui :p

Luckily I'm sort've taken so I don't need to learn to advertise myself just yet.

Do any men really know what they want in women? I have no idea and if I think about the 4 long term relationships I've had, they're all as different as chalk and cheese. I'd have a worse tiem tryign to come up with a list fo stuff I wanted than I would listing things about myself.
My only real requirement after girlfriends moving away to Weston, Southampton,, Paris and North Carolina(!! is this the affect I have on people?) is that I'd prefer a lady to stay within a 50 mile radius for a change! Oh and I need someone who can make decisions now and again, I've never been so bored as when i dated someone that let me (made me?) decide EVERYTHING.

... not sure what I'm on about with not being able to advertise myself now, seems I've come on here to post my life story instead?

Not too in depth, im refering to things like: both liking similar music or hobbies lol.

As for me and my girlfriend, weve been together for 3 years and we share some things like what we like to eat, where we like going, what we like doing and what nots but things like music we are worlds apart and hobbies (i like anime and she likes football a hell of a lot more than me) but you know that they truly love you when they get you linkin park tickets and then wait 3 hours to get in and listen to your favourite band even though they don't know anymore than 2 songs.

Opposites attract but only when there are other things you both like that help to bolster that relationship together. So when i say list things i mean that in a loose term :)

Tachi said:
but you know that they truly love you when they get you linkin park tickets and then wait 3 hours to get in and listen to your favourite band even though they don't know anymore than 2 songs.

Yeah I think this is the kind of thing I really love about some relationships. My ex used to come with me to all the metal festivals etc even though she was a classical musician and didn't get that stuff at all and my current lady has been slowly getting into anime via Nana and Usagi Drop etc despite not being able to name a single show a year ago (she watched both those series in about 3 days, so I think eventually she may be worse than me). It doesn't always work out that they love it, and I'd hate to date someone who was exactly the same as me anywy, but it's really nice when people try to share these things and put the effort in to understand each other and what their partner enjoys.

Tachi said:
Invisible Crane said:
Is there anything I could change on it that would improve my chances of finally finding someone...I've never ever had a GF before and OKC is my only chance right now

You seem to have gathered a lot of posts with sensible input to help improve your profile, i'm going to take another approach.

These dating websites in general never seem to work, my advice is to get yourself out there: you won't find a soulmate in a bar, you wouldn't find a soulmate in a nightclub and deffo not on dating websites, leave that to the 30+ market.

First Look at yourself in a mirror, see how you dress and the way you keep yourself (be that scruffy hair or gelled or short back and sides) if you look scruffy you lose appeal, if you speak like a chav and don't pronounce your words then you lose appeal again (nobody wants to hear you speak like the queen but just pronouncing your words and cutting out words like "init" and "coz" will benefit you)

Nobody is asking you to change your whole wardrobe or who you are fundimentally but just refining the nicer points, if your clean shaven with short hair styled with product to a degree but not like something out of jersey shore. Buy a few new t-shirts or shirts and find out what works for you; if you are weedy and beanpole like then focus on your face as it will be your selling point, wear casual colours - white or black work well with some jeans and smart footwear (so no nike air or 2 year old vans scribbled all over)

If your built like a womble then wear loose long sleeved shirts with a tshirt underneath and the sleeves rolled up the arm (reason for long sleeves rolled up rather than short sleeves means you can make a slight difference in an instant to change from laid back to smart) again jeans and comfortable but sensible footwear.

If you have put the time in to build your body and have confidence in your appearance go for V neck t shirts with jeans and sensible shoes. Again stick to colours like black or white, blue at a push, no reds, greens, oranges, yellows until you've really worked on your self esteem.

Be approachable, be polite (no prospective girlfriend wants to hear "bitch" or anything similar when being referred to) be quick thinking and pay attention to what is being said! the amount of guys staring at the chest when they should be listening is facepalm worthy. be laid back but interesting - there is a fine line between being laid back and being lazy.
Be pro-active - don't wait for them to come to you, thats not how it works for the most part, you go to them.

If there is no eye contact between you atleast 3 glances then its not worth bothering, communication is 93% non verbal 7% verbal so pay attention to the way you hold yourself, folded arms is a guarded stance it shows you are being defencive. Hands in pockets is a slobbish trait, holding your phone and pretending to text is a confidence red light, holding a beer and taking part in the conversation helps as it keeps your hands busy so you can't wave talk and if you do its held back to one hand (more acceptable) remember to be confident - you'll have that primal urge to talk to her but another part of you will say no dont move, don't talk to her. DON'T LISTEN TO YOURSELF, follow your heart not your knob or your mind trying to talk you out of it. THrow yourself in at the deep end and go say hi.

Take my advice or ignore it, i'm just posting what i've learnt through both watching others make the mistakes or myself on the odd occasion. Most blokes either have too much confidence and it plays out as self centred cockiness or not enough and they don't even push to go say hi. a nice medium always helps, so does throwing in a joke - no not a knock knock or a one liner but take something that has happened recently (not to you, the pissing yourself isn't a joke to use its a turn off) and have a laugh at it. Off the top of my head i'd say something to do with the petrol strikes; don't be offensive but it will show you care enough to pay attention to whats going on in the world.

Anyway, hopefully something i've written will help you.

You forgot to tell him to brush his teeth twice a day, shower a least once a day, and wear clean underwear :p

If you have put the time in to build your body and have confidence in your appearance go for V neck t shirts

american-apparel-deep-v-neck-t-shirt-profile.jpg

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EryhQdXTjP8?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EryhQdXTjP8?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ayase said:
Would you judge someone's worth as a romantic partner based on their profession / education or lack of vash? I know I wouldn't. Focus on saying good rather than negative things, definitely. But to require someone to be a motivated, driven individual to be worthy of being loved frankly strikes me as a little bit shallow.

Just seeing it put like that made me think about what I would say about how I spend my time if was being honest. Probably "I continue to exist for no particular reason, as I was brought into existence not of my own volition and much of the time find it a preferable alternative to not existing". Needless to say I don't tend to get the girls. But then if they care about that kind of stuff then I don't particularly want them.

Does that mean that girls only want someone who say lives away from their parents, has a job, a university degree, etc?

Mutsumi's love hints, #1: Look for someone who shares several of your main interests. Allow these shared interests to help you both get to know each other and bond. At the very least you should gain a friend.

Back