How did you get into Anime & Manga?

minister3333

Brigade Leader
I've searched the forums and couldn't find a similar thread... And I thought I'd put it here, even though it could be classed 'Anime Discussion'...

I thought this would be quite interesting:

I was wondering how people first got interested in Anime and Manga? In general: the whole genre from Japan? As far as I'm aware, Akira is generally seen as the Anime which brought the genre to the West and I expect some of you were hooked after seeing it. Personally, it doesn't grab me that much (despite owning the DVD) but what did awaken my interest in Japanese entertainment was when I read a couple of Japanese/Manga graphic novels in the town library, after school in the early 90's.

I remember that I'd finished a couple of Batman's, Superman's, etc and saw this strange looking, black and white, graphic novel that was rather thick. It was called DOMU and I was struck by the 'realistic' drawing, as opposed to the 'comicbook' art I was used to and had previously enjoyed. As I flicked through, I was also quite shocked that a graphic novel (e.g. a comicbook!) had such adult themes in its presentation of death, violence, etc. It felt wrong, yet I couldn't help but be impressed with the quality of the work. DOMU seemed to be about an old man and a young girl who lived in an apartment block and were engaged in a psychological battle with each other. They appeared to have mental abilities, allowing them to move objects, and thus inflict pain, on their opponent, purely through the power of thought. I was interested. As I flicked through I came across a section which concerned a teenage boy in his bedroom, holding a hobby knife, building Airfix model plane kits. The drawings were so convincing, I related to them and that was the point at which I was hooked. I turned back to the start of DOMU and read the whole thing properly.

Over the following nights after school, I also discovered in the library's graphic novel section, another book called Gon. It was about a small T-Rex-like Dinosaur. The remarkable thing about this book to me was that there was not a single word in the whole story. Yet it was so entertaining, so funny, so superbly drawn..... Gon soon became a favourite.

I only ever got to read the two Gon books the library had, along with DOMU. But that was what hooked me into Manga and Anime. I have never read them since and wonder if there are any other works related to DOMU (apart from it being created by the Akira guy)? I am sure Gon must be a franchise, or similar, by now. After all, he was featured in Tekken 3! :D

(Postscript: As an afterthought... I was also a big fan of Mysterious Cities of Gold and Thundercats as a child. I noticed that their animation was somehow 'different' to the regular UK fare... but it wasn't until I was much older that I made the link between them and Anime.)

So how about all of you?! How did YOU get into Anime and Manga? :?: <br><br>

Well I got started into anime at the tender age of 3, all 19 years ago, when my mum bought me and my brother a pile of videos of cartoons. Not relising it at the time I was anime i sat and watched shows like:

Gaiking
Dangard Ace (Planetary Robot Dangard Ace)
Starvengers (Getter Robo G)
Grandizer (UFO Robot Grendizer)
Spaceketeers (Starzinger)
Starfleet (X Bomber)

I watched these shows for many years until 1 week we got the house painted & they myteriously went missing (Most likely thrown out by my da). I then only rediscovered anime years ater when Pokémon, Digimon & Monster Rancher started to appear on TV.
I Started collecting Anime DVDs about 4 years ago and I have about 200 DVDs at this point in time.

For manga I just started reading a number of years ago, and about a year ago when I got bored of waiting for shows to be released here, and shows that had been either butchered to hell or long gaps between series, i started collecting Manga.

Hmm. . .It wasn't all that long ago really. Well apart from the usual affair (Pokemon, Digimon, etc.) I got into Naruto after watching it somewhere, I think YouTube. I was amazed by how different and awesome this was to the cartoons I was watching (The Grim Adventures, Fairly Odd Parents. . .)

Naruto then intrigued me into Anime followed by Anime forums, then slowly watching the the latest and greatest along with the golden oldies. I found myself delved into the deep dark horror of being a English otaku. . . .

My life ended there.

Well i watched animes when i was very young but never really realiesd they were what they were, i just thought they were cartoons :p.
I then saw FLCL when i was in america and that is when i heard about anime being different (this was about 6 years ago or so).
I only started watching them alot in sometime december last year. It all started off when i was watching Avatar: Legend of Aang (i know its not an anime of sort) and decided that i kind of liked watching things like that on my computer so i asked my mate who was into animes what he would recommend and obviously it was naruto :p
So thats where my passion all started, Naruto... sadly...

For me it was a combination of pokemon, and gundam wing, these were the starting point, a little while after that a friend introduced me to Evangelion and it all fell into place after that. Of course i would of probably warmed up to anime a lot faster if my brother didn't show me a little thing called legend of the overfiend...I was about 7-8 at the time :eek: Ah memories

Well, I remember watching anime like Pokemon, Zoids and Yu-Gi-Oh when I was young. Then I stopped watching them, for a long while. Then a friend of mine showed me Fruits Basket and I was hooked again.

That's it......not much else.

When I was in my 3rd year of uni, a house mate called Paul brought me a copy of Trigun to watch, in the first night we got through 13 episodes and after that I was hooked, we then went on to watch Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin and Outlaw Star. As for manga I started reading that much later with books like Trigun and Those Who Hunt Elves.

And from that day the anime fiend known only as McIcy was born.......

I've been hooked on anime for a long while now. It all started when I was 7/8 years old and my cousin used to babysit me and my lil sister. The first anime I ever knowingly watched was "Legend of the Overfiend". Definately not the best start to my soon matured anime addiction. If wasn't all like that though, my cousin also introduced me to anime like Akira, GITS, Patlabor etc. Some of my still today favourites.

Basicly I never stopped liking anime after that. My addiction mite have lulled a bit in school, but now I can't get enough. But who blaims me. ^^

Link100p said:
Dragon, Dragon, Rocking Dragon, Dragon Ball Z
Dragon, Dragon, Rocking Dragon, Rock with Me.

It says that?
I never realised what it said there (probably cause i didnt pay attention to intro). Cheers for the information :p

Some year in the 90s i remmeber my cousin showing me an episode of dragonball in japanese and i just thought that so F***in awsome even though i couldnt understand what people where saying i still thought it was good XD

when i was about 13, DBZ came on Cartoon Network.
Ironically the summer before i went on holdiday to Portugal with absolutley no knowledge of anime and DBZ merch was everywhere, me and my bro thought it looked awesome, my brother even bought a few figurines. It came over to the UK the following year and upon seeing the advert had to watch it.
From then on CN started putting on Gundam Wing, then came along CNX with the glorious showings of Outlaw Star, Bebop etc. Not to mention Sci-Fi brief forray with Blue Gender and NGE.

Manga i didn't start reading till a couple of years ago when my brother started picking up Bleach, then i became addicted too lol.

Edit: I think the reason i really got in to it was because it was so 'no holds barred' compared to English/merican shows at the time which held back and kept moral high grounds instead of revenge and kicking the **** out of each other. I guess i just wanted more storyline wise and DBZ was perfect at that age of a just becoming teen.

I was 15 at the time (23 now) and my brother (much older of me - around from the akira days) mentioned it at one point a 'cartoon film' called 'Fist of the north star' well strangely enough I had seen that in our local video rental shop, so went over and got it (even though it was an 18!) and watched it. The lack of plot meant that I wasn't really enthralled, but the sheer amount of carnage and such certainly made me take notice.

Hence the day after I went back to the shop and looked through the rest of their anime, all Manga video titles from the early ninties. They had lots of stuff which now I know as pretty damn poor (though two stand out) but I noticed one that looked good - 'Vampire Hunter D' I rented it and watched it.

And I have been hooked ever since.

I rented just about every video that shop had. Lensman, Judge, Odin, RG Veda and others, most not much cop, though Venus Wars was rather good. As such I had to look elsewhere.

However, for those into Anime in 1999, there was no 'elsewhere'

I found a handful of manga video titles, but that was about it to start with. Slowly ADV began filtering in a few more titles, but very few at that stage. However when we got Sky in August 2000, suddenly there was a light at the end of the tunnel - the Sci Fi Channel Saturday Midnight block!

So I watched that endlessly. I found some of my faves there, such as Orguss2, Ghost in the shell, and the still criminally unrealased Wings of Honeasime. They topped it in 2002 when they showed 3 series - until then it had been only OVAs and Films - Neon Genesis Evangelion, Blue Gender, and easilly the best of the bunch IMO, Martian Successor Nadesico.

Things were looking up then. Anime was on TV a lot - I saw most of Escaflowne on Fox Kids in 2002, as well as more children's orientated stuff such as Digimon, Flint the Time Detective, Sailor Moon, and such.

It couldn't last though. Suddenly Fox Kids went belly up on Anime, then the Sci Fi Channel, so long the standard bearer, began to waver, shifting its Saturday block to Thursdays, and then finally breaking it up and sticking the odd thing on at 5am. It was rather depressing in all.

However in late 2002 and early 2003 the trickle of videos became a torrent of DVDs as ADV Poured into the market full throttle. Taking up the slack of the TV channels. I was able to get Nadesico on DVD (my first Anime dvds) then some Miyazaki stuff, and Excel Saga, and the list goes on. I've rarely watched anime on tv since 2003, DVDs won that battle.

Only now, after years in the wilds, is Anime returning to TV, pity really, as that is where I really got my formitive time, but hope for the future.

^ God I waffled on a bit didn't I? :p

Warmaster said:
...I waffled on a bit didn't I? :p
No, that was a good read. DVDs and the internet have made a huge difference, huh?

I've never had Sky or cable or anything like that, so my Anime has always been exclusively Video or now, DVD. I wonder if Anime will ever make it through to Freeview?<BR><BR>

when i was a small child, one nite i got out of bed, came downstairs rubbing my wee eyes and sat with my daddy, he was watching a cartoon on the sci-fi channel, like nothing ide seen before! suddenly this huge robot awoke from his bloody slumber and crushed a nurses head! i was hooked from then!

Back