Hollywood actors sign up for Howl

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Anime News Service have revealed some information concerning the English dub for (Hayao Miyazaki's latest film) Howl's Moving Castle, confirming that both Christian Bale (Batman Begins, American Psycho) and Billy Crystal have scored big roles for the movie.

During the early summer months, Howl's Moving Castle will (courtesy of Disney) open in 700-800 US theatres. Comparatively, Steamboy was launched into just 39 US theatres.

A limited UK theatrical release for Howl's Moving Castle has been tentatively scheduled for autumn '05 by maverick UK distributors Optimum Releasing (who were also behind the UK release of Spirited Away).

i suppose an autumn release isn't too bad. it's reassuring to see Optimum take care of the dub as well, especially after the really nice job they made of Spirited Away.

Film 2005 say September, looking forward to it lots. It's a shame they couldn't get the Cat Returns in the cinema but then it was a non-Miyazaki Ghibli film, wasn't it?

Capuchin said:
Film 2005 say September, looking forward to it lots. It's a shame they couldn't get the Cat Returns in the cinema but then it was a non-Miyazaki Ghibli film, wasn't it?

Yep Cat Returns was not a Miyazaki Ghibli film .

Capuchin said:
It's a shame they couldn't get the Cat Returns in the cinema but then it was a non-Miyazaki Ghibli film, wasn't it?

You can tell because the characters are too pretty :lol:

I am gonna try my best to go see this, I just hope a cinema near me will be showing it! I'm also hoping it will be far enough into 2005 that Sakura will sit and watch it, as I don't got babysitters :cry:

Billy Crystal is someone I know but I've never heard of the other one :?:

Oh Christian Bale is lovely, i've fancied him for years, he would have been my choice to play Lupin in Harry Potter 3 (i quite fancied Lupin as being goodlooking). I don't suppose you've ever watched Little Women?

Bale must be playing Howl I suppose- despite "Equilibrium" he's a good actor, good choice I reckon.

It'll be good to hear what Bale can do; on screen he's excellent and always gives it his all. Hopefully he'll be just as good behind the mic.

yes thats true, i'm not sure if he has ever done voice acting before. Who do we think Billy Crystal will be doing the voice for.

I will almost defiantly have to wait until this Howl's Moving Castle is released on dvd as i much doubt it will be shown at any cinema around where i live, especially not the two screener in my town

Charter_Mage said:
yes thats true, i'm not sure if he has ever done voice acting before. Who do we think Billy Crystal will be doing the voice for.

I will almost defiantly have to wait until this Howl's Moving Castle is released on dvd as i much doubt it will be shown at any cinema around where i live, especially not the two screener in my town

Billy Crystal is apparently to play the role of Calcifer. Seeing as Ive never seen Howl's ive no idea who Calcifer is though :p

MangaMinX said:
Billy Crystal is apparently to play the role of Calcifer. Seeing as Ive never seen Howl's ive no idea who Calcifer is though :p
No i havn't either, it was just a random wondering, but i thought that maybe i might have some clue by some of the pictures i had seen

Concrete badger said:
it's reassuring to see Optimum take care of the dub as well, especially after the really nice job they made of Spirited Away.
Disney are doing the dub :p

It will probably be another good Ghibli dub :)

Charter_Mage said:

Howl: Christian Bale
Old Sophie: Jean Simmons
Young Sophie: Emily Mortimer
Witch of the Waste: Lauren Bacall
Calcifer: Billy Crystal
Madam Suliman: Blythe Danner

That's the cast list, if it means anything to you.
Wow! Lauren Bacall...

MangaMinX said:
I have heard of approximately only one of the VA's :oops:
I suppose thats what comes of only watching about four or five films a year!

Handily Christian Bale is the new Batman, which will probably be the biggest flick this year after Star Wars, so his raised profile may hopefully bring more attention to Howl and to anime in general.
Hopefully.

Back