Hit me with your recs.

Gallus Glee

Dandy Guy, in Space
Not too hard though, eh?

I'm going to rejoin blockbuster online, one of my first priorities will be picking up some of this fangled anime stuff, so bearing in mind almost all titles which have been released post-DVD are probably new to me, can you give me a starting point?

Here's some of my likes/dislikes which (might) help:

Sci-Fi:

Loved - Bounty Dog, Armitage III, Akira, Venus Wars, Robot Carnival, Battle Angel Alita, Jin Roh
Loathed - GITS, MD Geist, Patlabor, Sol Bianca, Evangelion

Comedy:

Loved - Elf Princess Reine, Project A-KO, Catgirl Nuku Nuku

Horror/Monsties/Skellies/Skellies and Monsties

Loved: Wicked City, Monster City (apart from the ridiculous swearing), Vampire Hunter D

Other notable preferences:

I don't like 'yoof' stuffs, IE if it involves a group of teenagers climbing into giant robots and saving the world, it'll probably annoy me something rotten. Likewise, anime love stories grind my gears.

Any advice appreciated.

Here have some Elfen Lied.

--Throws--

Catch!

disclaimer:

We at AUKN accept no responsiblity for any person(s) who find themselves unable to come out from under the cover after watching any of our anime recomendation(s)

:D

Let's see...

Sci-Fi:

Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (trust me, I didn't like the movie either, but the series is a very different proposition),

Comedy:

Same as the last thread, although I'm not so sure you'd like Azumanga Daioh now. I'm still fairly confident you'd probably like Excel Saga.

Horror/Monsties/Skellies/Skellies and Monsties

Vampier Hunter D: Bloodlust

Since I don't seem to like anything you loved I don't think i'd be of much help. :lol:

I would recommend Tokyo Godfathers for comedy. I can't see anyone not enjoying that somewhat. :p

Thanks everyone, I've made this list up from this thread and the other one too. Once I've gotten through this lot I should have some things to compare to other series.

Boogiepop Phantom
Crest of the Stars
Elfen Lied
Gantz
Generator Gawl
Haibane Renmai
Serial Experiments Lain
Vandread
Spirited Away
Azumanga Daioh
Excel Saga
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Vampier Hunter D: Bloodlust
Tokyo Godfathers

or £15 a month from blockbuster online ;)

I'll be test flying as much anime as possible before actually buying it, my wallet is not fanboy-grade and nor is my debt-tolerance :D

That is unless I see something interesting for £5 or less, like Howl's Mobile Shed (I'm still pleased about finding that).

Looking at what you said at the top of the thread and the list you posted I don't think you would like the following...

Haibane Renmei
Azumanga Daioh

I really like them both, Renmei being one of my personal favourites but from your other choices I don't think you would. You seem to like anime with a lot of action and violence and less on the dialogue.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Looking at what you said at the top of the thread and the list you posted I don't think you would like the following...

Haibane Renmei
Azumanga Daioh

I really like them both, Renmei being one of my personal favourites but from your other choices I don't think you would. You seem to like anime with a lot of action and violence and less on the dialogue.

Same, which is also why I'm not sure whether you'd like Crest of the Stars either.

I'm going to give those three a go anyway, if you guys think they're worth the time then I'm darned if I'm going to shy away from them.

I should have had Cowboy Bebop on that list, it's one of the few anime titles I recognize out of recent ones (shows like Naruto, Bleach and virtually everything on my list are completely unknown to me). Likewise, Ninja Scroll would be on there but I already know and love it :)

Dialogue isn't something I'm against, I just don't like meaningless blather or self-important yawn-fests.

Well Naruto & Bleach have become popular pretty much purely through the fansub circuit, which is probably why you've never heard of them.

Oh, and another addition to your list ought to be Samurai Champloo. Funky samurai action is difficult to go wrong with. Have a look at the trailer, you might find yourself interested. :mrgreen:

http://www.mvm-films.com/trailers.htm

Also, Read Or Die is a good 3-part OAV series which you ought to try (spawned a series called Read Or Dream).

Unfortunately I still haven't got round to getting a new Blockbuster membership, but I have seen Excel Saga (about 5 episodes) and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

On top of that, I've been reading up/watching clips and AMVs/snooping around over several series. One Piece, Samurai Champloo, Azumanga Daioh, Naruto and snippets from a few others.

Surprisngly, the old sparkle's back - I'm really getting into anime again :D

I didn't think that was going to happen, it was slow going, but now I've sat down and actually watched some different titles I'm really impressed.

Gallus Glee said:
Unfortunately I still haven't got round to getting a new Blockbuster membership, but I have seen Excel Saga (about 5 episodes) and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

On top of that, I've been reading up/watching clips and AMVs/snooping around over several series. One Piece, Samurai Champloo, Azumanga Daioh, Naruto and snippets from a few others.

Surprisngly, the old sparkle's back - I'm really getting into anime again :D

I didn't think that was going to happen, it was slow going, but now I've sat down and actually watched some different titles I'm really impressed.

He joinnnssss uusssss.... He jooooiiiiinnnnssssss uussssss...

Just remembered another fairly recent show you might like. "Last Exile" is a really well done series, some great visuals and design.

Back