Hi

slideyfoot

Completely Average High School Student
Hi there!

I was born in Belgium to a German mother and Turkish father, but we moved to the UK three months later, meaning I'm quite Anglicized (though I would still call myself Turkish or German rather than English, despite the fact that my grasp of Turkish is tenuous to say the least. My German is slightly better, but far from what I'd call fluent). My life is focused around several interests, especially martial arts and poetry, the latter also being my area of academic study since 1999. The other major focus is of course my girlfriend, who I live with for half the week.

I'm currently doing a part-time PhD in English Lit, in which I'm looking specifically at post-war poetry. Currently focusing on Sylvia Plath, Robert Lowell, Thom Gunn and Peter Reading, aiming for eight chapters and poets in total. I don't have a draft of the later chapters yet, but possibly do one on Seamus Heaney, Tony Harrison, Peter Porter and...someone else. However, that's still undecided at present. I'd like to do another female poet, but my favourites Moore and Bishop are the wrong time period (Plath already covers 1945-70); Carol Ann Duffy is another possibility, but not sure she does quite enough with form. I happen to have an extremely knowledgeable supervisor (well, they both are, but one is particularly good on contemporary poets), who's been giving me good recommendations so far (not too sure on Heaney, as I'd prefer Muldoon, but we'll see).

Martial arts is what got me onto the internet forum thing in 2002, which is why you'll see 'slideyfoot' babbling nonsense on various boards related to that subject matter. I've mainly done stand-up styles, but more recently have been looking into groundwork; started brazilian jiu jitsu in November 2006, which has been awesome so far. 8)

As to anime, first vague-anime-type-thing I ever saw was Force Five: Starvengers and Danguard Ace back when I was around 5, maybe younger, along with various other animation like Flight of Dragons (still watch it happily today :D). Kinda went from there, peaking in the early/mid 90s when Manga Entertainment videos came into my grasp, along with the various late night Channel 4 broadcasts (which is where I first saw Devilman, still one of my all-time faves). Last year I impulse-subscribed to the Manga Force thingy, as it looked like a great way of getting my anime vids onto DVD with the minimum of effort and some funky extras (Ghost in the Shell had some, so I'm hoping that trend continues). I'll have to have a look at the thread on the topic - I'm not overly snobby about anime, so don't mind if the releases aren't especially obscure. :wink:

Prescription sunglasses, but fairly crazy in that I was sitting in the dark wearing them. Or fairly stupid - one of those. :p

Back