Hi peeps! Welcome to my side of your world..

Gavrev

Dandy Guy, in Space
A pleasure to almost meet you all! I'm sure as we go we'll all become more familiar.. Me? Well, what self respecting otaku wouldn't find himself in such fine company! I'm sure there's a whole host of stuff to learn and exchange in these hallowed pages. I first encountered anime back in 1990 when a friend of a friend stuck a few of us in front of Gunbuster.. That was a hell of an induction into the world! Since then I've soaked up all I can muster, which isn't as much as it could be given my aversion to spending gratuitous amounts on seemingly infinite reams of episodes, but nevertheless contains many of the luminary works of Miyazaki, Anno, Shinkai.. the list goes on. What self respecting fan doesn't have a copy of AKIRA lurking on their shelves somewhere? I need say no more. Our local cinema has even seen fit to grace us with Ghost In The Shell 2.0, Arrietty and most recently From Up on Poppy Hill.. How did we deserve that!?

Anyway, glad to be here and I look forwards to gleaning lots of useful tidbits and maybe even imparting some equally useful thoughts and tidbits in return. Thank you for your attention to my inane ramblings.. ;)

At the moment bakum4tsu I've just started the second season of "The World God Only Knows". I love the humour and the music.. fabulous work. I found it on Crunchyroll after seeing it on the shelves in HMV. My first impression from a very quick glance at it's synopsis and title was that it would be a bit dark - I had no idea it was a romcom until I watched the first episode. Five mins into the second episode I knew I had to grab it on DVD for the collection. Suffice to say I'm not disappointed.. It's had me crying with laughter! Anything that can do that is worth its weight in gold :)

Hmm.. I could give you that list by title bakum4tsu, but my general rule of thumb for picking them is whether they have that certain something in the premise, or you know you'll likely get a certain something from the artists in question. When you get a Ghibli film you know pretty much what you'll get in terms of feel and tone. The same with Makoto Shinkai. When I go to anime which has a certain something I love Shinkai's work. All his work (beginning for me with The Place Promised In Our Early Days) blows me sideways with the tone and visual feel.. I just love his style, and he too seems a very personable guy. For the wholesale sci-fi side, Gunbuster, AKIRA and Ghost In The Shell were the first ones sold to me, so I'll always have a soft spot for them, and the recent Evangelion films have added to that. GITS: SAC series and Eden Of The East (Kenji Kamiyama is another Makoto Shinkai type of a fellow who seems to have a certain and profoundly pleasant style) were all terrific rides where you really invested in the characters.. Azumanga Daioh, Paniponi Dash, Phantom, Saikano, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Welcome To The Space Show, Freedom, Serial Experiments Lain, RIN: Daughters of the Mnemosyne, Elfen Lied, Cowboy bebop.. I have a whole slew of DVDs which were pretty much purchases based upon trailers and reviews, which have come up good! It might have been easier just to list them all.. hahhahaha!

Thats quite a few good names yeah. Do you just watch what you have on dvd or watch streams?

Have you ever seen Great teacher onizuka, Steins Gates, Hajime no Ippo, Gurren Laggan, Black Lagoon, Beck, oh boy could be here all day... xD

Those are some of my favourites but far from being all of them. I am more of an action anime fan though I do really enjoy Shinkai stuff. :)

Hehe.. I neglected to put Gurren Lagann and Steins Gate on there - both of which I do have.. I watched some of both quite recently again! Very good!! :) I'm looking forwards to the UK release of the recent Steins Gate film.. (another one to tag on the "finger drumming" watch list..). It's a nightmare trying to get through all the good stuff isn't it!? I'll try and get to the ones you suggest above.. Ironically I posted a thread in general anime discussion along these lines just before answering this!

I generally take in stuff from Crunchyroll on the i-Pad - great last thing at night viewing - Shugo Chara, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Hanamaru Kindergarten, Yuri Yuri, Vividred Operation, The World God Only Knows (now on DVD).. all these have featured or are currently featuring in my viewing! If it's really good it usually ends up in my DVD collection - I would love Hanamaru Kindergarten - it just happens to tickle me. The World God Only Knows went this way off the back of one and a bit episodes!

I suspect there's more out there than I can possibly get my hands on.. I am definitely enjoying the anime I DO have though, and Crunchyroll is fab for generally having a random dip! Without it I'd probably have missed out on quite a lot so far, never mind what's yet to come!

Gargantia was another of my Crunchyroll dips!

Back