Hey Everyone!

W90WBA

Completely Average High School Student
How's everyone doing?

I'm new to not only this forum - but anime in general (kinda)

The only anime I'd ever watched previously - if this can even be counted lol, was Pokemon when I was growing up

I started looking at anime this week, I'd heard a few different things about something called "Attack on Titan" I'd always thought its anime it won't be my thing. But thought it can't hurt to try watch it and give it a go, man E1 and I was completely sucked in! It's all I've been watching this week - the joys of being late to a series you can watch episode after episode instead of having to wait

Following on from this I've kinda got 3 questions for you all

1. Where is the best place to watch Anime? I started on Crunchyroll, initially watching with Subs, then I've watched the last couple of episodes with dubs instead - only thing I didn't like was some writing on the screen with dubs wasn't coming up in English, so I had a look on a website called (name removed by moderator) and they seemed to be pretty good with a mix of the both

2. Following on from the above question, how do people prefer to watch anime - subs or dubs? I feel like Subs is better, hearing the voices and reaction the way originally intended, but I do feel sometimes you might miss what is happening during a scene if your too focussed on the subs.

3. Any other anime people feel are a must watch? Attack on Titan is the only one I've watched so would love to know if there's any people consider a must watch, or anything similar

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome! I have edited your post as that site you found is an illegal piracy hub, and we don't allow discussion of rip-off sites which don't support the creators of our favourite shows :)

1. Crunchyroll is a great place to start with a massive catalogue. Until recently a lot of anime was exclusive to Funimation but the two are currently in the process of merging, so you'll find that Funimation's content is being steadily added to Crunchyroll. HIDIVE is the other UK-accessible speciality site while there are some gems to be found on Netflix and Amazon Prime if you rummage around. If you browse the forums you'll find members have created directories of what is on which site to hopefully make things a little less confusing!

2. This is 100% personal preference. I watch all content subtitled without exception but a lot of us are the other way around. Dubbing has improved a lot over the years and some people will pick depending on the type of show, so an action series with lots of great animation might end up appealing more dubbed to avoid the subtitles getting in the way while a slow-paced nuance-heavy series might seem better subtitled. You will also eventually end up picking up some common phrases you hear a lot which will make it even quicker to read the subtitles. Feel free to experiment and find which you like best; you might also learn that you like particular performers in one of the casts which can make the experience better (I have watched more than a few mediocre shows entirely due to the presence of a favourite actor!)

3. I've been watching for a very long time so I have a huge number of favourites. Attack on Titan is pretty great and largely unique (though there are a few newer titles which owe a lot of inspiration to it) so if you could tell us a bit more about your preferences - in and out of anime - we should be able to come up with some solid recommendations. Or even just say which parts of Attack on Titan you loved the most (with a spoiler tag)!

R

Ah sorry about that! I literally just did google search as to where to watch anime in the UK and said website was on a list of 14 - had no idea it was a dodgy website lol

I think I'll stick to Crunchyroll for now, that was the website I was using the most anyway - the only annoyance as I say is watching dubbed version, when you get the "what we know so far" the writing isn't translated

To be honest I don't have any preferences with Anime, I only watched this due to hearing a lot about it and I'm addicted, I love the fact its 25 minutes an episode. I enjoy (strangely) the way music is utilised during it, I've never paid much attention to that kind of thing before. But the way the music kicks in sometimes during a tense scene, or even a heartfelt scene is really something (if I'm making any sense by saying that)

Ok, there's not much to go on but I'll do my best with some recommendations!

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress owes quite a lot to Attack on Titan but you might enjoy it if the general themes appealed to you: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/kabaneri-of-the-iron-fortress

Demon Slayer has a completely different theme but its animation is gorgeous and its similarly mega-popular: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba

Sword Art Online is another lavish, popular example of its subgenre and worth a look. I personally got a bit tired of it after a couple of seasons but that doesn't make the earlier ones less fun: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/sword-art-online

Cowboy Bebop is an oldie now but if you want style and music, it might be worth a peek (whether or not you have seen Netflix's live action adaptation): https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/cowboy-bebop

Fate/Zero is technically a follow-up (despite being a prequel) to the older Fate Stay/Night but I found it uniquely compelling (viewing the other parts isn't necessary, but they're widely available too if you get interested): https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/fatezero

Megalobox is a retro show about boxing which wins over most people who give it a shot: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/megalobox

I would also recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Death Note but they aren't currently available on Crunchyroll :(

And I should also plug this very website's roundup articles from our writers! https://animeuknews.net/category/features/roundups/

The music thing makes sense; I have a massive collection of anime soundtracks myself! The person behind the catchier background music in Attack on Titan is Hiroyuki Sawano who has contributed to quite a few other shows so you might enjoy looking into his body of work. There's also a bonkers puppet show on Crunchyroll called Thunderbolt Fantasy with a huge focus on music. It's not anime but given the list of things you enjoyed you might find it entertaining.

R

Thanks for that list much appreciated!

Can I ask what exactly is Manga and the difference between that and Anime?

Sure! Manga are just Japanese comics - usually black and white and published rapidly as an ongoing serialisation - while anime is the Japanese loan word for 'animation'. A lot of anime is based on manga. There's a little manga on Crunchyroll too if you poke around and want to see how your favourite shows originated :)

R

Just seen a quick review of Attack on Titan - and I think this exactly what I like about it

"It sort of employs the same dynamics as Game of Thrones. All of the characters are intriguing and the story always keeps you on your feet."

Not sure if others agree with this assessment, but I'd say what I enjoy the most (and I'll cover this with spoilers)
Is it's not afraid to kill characters off - such as Levis team in S1, there's a few times I've started to warm towards someone, then boom they get killed off, some of the plot twists and turns I love too along with the fighting/gore scenes

I've added the spoiler, but doesn't show when I click save so not sure if its worked lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back