Hello all!

Arveene

School Idol
Hi everyone! I'm Arveene, I've been lurking in the Discord for the past week or so and decided to finally get involved properly :)

I'm just another big anime fan from the UK looking for people who share my hobby to talk to. I'm also far too into manga and light novels (seriously, I read waaay too many light novels. I feel like I barely have time to do anything else) so be prepared for me to talk a lot in any related convos :p

Outside of that I really like games, although if I had to pick I probably prefer board games and tabletop RPGs to video games. That's not to say I don't love video games, but I never seem to get round to playing them for some reason... I blame the light novels. And the three sessions of Dungeons & Dragons I'm currently playing per week. :oops:

So, um, yeah. It's nice to meet you all and I hope to talk to everyone plenty from now on :)

Hi everyone! I'm Arveene, I've been lurking in the Discord for the past week or so and decided to finally get involved properly :)

I'm just another big anime fan from the UK looking for people who share my hobby to talk to. I'm also far too into manga and light novels (seriously, I read waaay too many light novels. I feel like I barely have time to do anything else) so be prepared for me to talk a lot in any related convos :p

Outside of that I really like games, although if I had to pick I probably prefer board games and tabletop RPGs to video games. That's not to say I don't love video games, but I never seem to get round to playing them for some reason... I blame the light novels. And the three sessions of Dungeons & Dragons I'm currently playing per week. :oops:

So, um, yeah. It's nice to meet you all and I hope to talk to everyone plenty from now on :)
I see you too like Laid-BackCamp.
IMG_20190128_031627.jpg
Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for the warm welcome all! :)
I see you too like Laid-Back Camp.
I mean, is it possible to -not- like Laid-Back Camp? :p
Welcome to forums Arveene. What do you play as in your D&D campaigns?
In one campaign I'm a Cleric, in another I'm a Witch (a homebrew class, the DM for two of my games has a homebrew setting and a whole bunch of classes and such) and in the final one I was a Bard/Cleric multiclass... but that character died in the on-stream session last night :( so thinking about a new one at the moment.

I've played far too many characters though. The community that the streamed game is part of knows me for having by far the most characters (dead or alive) out of any one player in said DM's homebrew world, by far :p
Always fun to have another light novel fan around! What are some of your favs?

& welcome too! :)
Ooh that's a tough one... and it's going to get me seriously judged. Because honestly my absolute favourites would have to be No Game No Life and Clockwork Planet :$. I know they're problematic at times and No Game No Life in particular has some content I could really rather do without (please for the love of all that is holy stop sexualising Shiro already >.>) but every time I read them or watch the adaptations I can't help but be drawn into the bombastic over-the-topness of them. They just fill me with life.

Other than that... I'm very fond of Abilities Average. Saga of Tanya the Evil as well. KonoSuba is just brilliantly hilarious every time. Bakarina's first two volumes really have me interested. Infinite Dendogram has been great and I love the setting - looking forward to the adaptation of that. Overlord is almost a no-brainer.

...I am aware I don't have particularly good tastes :p I read a large portion of the ones that have English releases though.

Oh! And I'm loving Wortenia Senki, although I'm obviously reading that in Japanese.

Ooh that's a tough one... and it's going to get me seriously judged. Because honestly my absolute favourites would have to be No Game No Life and Clockwork Planet :$. I know they're problematic at times and No Game No Life in particular has some content I could really rather do without (please for the love of all that is holy stop sexualising Shiro already >.>) but every time I read them or watch the adaptations I can't help but be drawn into the bombastic over-the-topness of them. They just fill me with life.

Other than that... I'm very fond of Abilities Average. Saga of Tanya the Evil as well. KonoSuba is just brilliantly hilarious every time. Bakarina's first two volumes really have me interested. Infinite Dendogram has been great and I love the setting - looking forward to the adaptation of that. Overlord is almost a no-brainer.

...I am aware I don't have particularly good tastes :p I read a large portion of the ones that have English releases though.

Oh! And I'm loving Wortenia Senki, although I'm obviously reading that in Japanese.

Ooo a fellow KonoSuba/Dendrogram/Bakarina fan! Do you by chance like Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? If so, we can be good friends. :D

I read a ton of light novels as well (here's my reading list if you want to take a look) and completely agree with you that some of my favourites are problematic at times, but honestly I love them so much for various reasons that I just have to look past the issues... What are series do you read/enjoy in Japanese? I started learning Japanese last year because I really want to eventually read the Pet Girl of Sakurasou novels as it's looking like those will never be picked up. ;_;

No judgements here! We like what we like, we don't what we don't!

You're in good company here with Konosuba & Overlord, lots of us are huge fans & personally I'm super interested in Dendogram, really looking forward to the physical release :)

Ooo a fellow KonoSuba/Dendrogram/Bakarina fan! Do you by chance like Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? If so, we can be good friends. :D
I do! Honestly I was indifferent about it for the first volume or two but it's gotten REALLY good recently. Since volume... umm, 7? Was it? The one that introduced Haruhime. The whole Xenos arc was just intense. The War Game was good but that just took it to another level.
I read a ton of light novels as well (here's my reading list if you want to take a look) and completely agree with you that some of my favourites are problematic at times, but honestly I love them so much for various reasons that I just have to look past the issues... What are series do you read/enjoy in Japanese? I started learning Japanese last year because I really want to eventually read the Pet Girl of Sakurasou novels as it's looking like those will never be picked up. ;_;
I'll definitely have a proper look later, but at a glance I'm sensing another J-Novel Club reader :p and I've noticed you like A Sister's All You Need too, which is awesome! I need to read volumes 2 and 3 still. I tend to have a bit more trouble remembering to read physical releases as I purchase digitally whenever possible due to space constraints.

Honestly in terms of light novels in Japanese I'm still only reading Wortenia Senki (I've read more manga in Japanese), I tend to read half an hour a day as practice. It's just so time-consuming when you're having to consciously translate, although it does get better. I started learning for the same reason a few years back - the key thing is just to keep it up. I'm hardly fluent but I understand pretty much the entire text now (possibly minus some minor details) and it wasn't through any particularly huge effort or taking lessons, just consistent self-teaching.

...I suddenly started sounding lecture-y there didn't I? Sorry :p
No judgements here! We like what we like, we don't what we don't!

You're in good company here with Konosuba & Overlord, lots of us are huge fans & personally I'm super interested in Dendogram, really looking forward to the physical release :)
Ahh, thank you! I'm always a little shy about my tastes and worried people will look down at me for them, so thank you for the reassurance :)

You'll love Dendogram I think. There's a reason it gained popularity in Japan so quickly :p

I do! Honestly I was indifferent about it for the first volume or two but it's gotten REALLY good recently. Since volume... umm, 7? Was it? The one that introduced Haruhime. The whole Xenos arc was just intense. The War Game was good but that just took it to another level.

Admittedly I wasn't a big fan of of the Xenos arc, at least at the start. It grew on me a lot towards the end though! It's nice to see another fan of volume 6 (Haruhime's), I'm looking forward to seeing that one animated in the next season. ^_^

I'll definitely have a proper look later, but at a glance I'm sensing another J-Novel Club reader :p and I've noticed you like A Sister's All You Need too, which is awesome! I need to read volumes 2 and 3 still. I tend to have a bit more trouble remembering to read physical releases as I purchase digitally whenever possible due to space constraints.

Guilty as charged re: J-Novel Club! :p Been subscribed since the start, so I follow the majority of their series... a time consuming but worthwhile endeavour! I read mostly physical releases as I prefer them to digital, so I just draw up big lists every month of what I need. Space will someday be a concern but for now I push ever onwards~

Honestly in terms of light novels in Japanese I'm still only reading Wortenia Senki (I've read more manga in Japanese), I tend to read half an hour a day as practice. It's just so time-consuming when you're having to consciously translate, although it does get better. I started learning for the same reason a few years back - the key thing is just to keep it up. I'm hardly fluent but I understand pretty much the entire text now (possibly minus some minor details) and it wasn't through any particularly huge effort or taking lessons, just consistent self-teaching.

...I suddenly started sounding lecture-y there didn't I? Sorry :p

Doesn't sound lecture-y at all! It's nice to see someone else who started learning to read light novels too. I imported some of the KonoSuba spin-off light novels (the one about Megumin), which sit on my desk as a means of encouragement. Hopefully someday I'll get to reading them, I'm not quite at the point of reading anything yet but hopefully sometime this year...

Guilty as charged re: J-Novel Club! :p Been subscribed since the start, so I follow the majority of their series... a time consuming but worthwhile endeavour! I read mostly physical releases as I prefer them to digital, so I just draw up big lists every month of what I need. Space will someday be a concern but for now I push ever onwards~
Same! I'm really glad they've succeeded and keep bringing us new stuff :)

I'm in the habit of preordering all the monthly releases that I'm reading, which inevitably means I end up with big backlogs at times (not reading any over Christmas is still hurting) but at least means I don't have to worry about checking for release dates :p
Doesn't sound lecture-y at all! It's nice to see someone else who started learning to read light novels too. I imported some of the KonoSuba spin-off light novels (the one about Megumin), which sit on my desk as a means of encouragement. Hopefully someday I'll get to reading them, I'm not quite at the point of reading anything yet but hopefully sometime this year...
I get the feeling that one would be quite hard to read because of Megumin's chuuni nature and thus hard kanji, so good luck! I'd definitely recommend cutting your teeth sooner rather than later, it really does help if you're trying to read something you love.

Welcome, @Arveene. :)

It's really impressive that you're able to read stuff in Japanese; I can read hiragana and katakana okay, but only a very small selection of the most common kanji.

Props to your reading abilities. 👍
Hope you enjoy the forums.

Welcome, @Arveene. :)

It's really impressive that you're able to read stuff in Japanese; I can read hiragana and katakana okay, but only a very small selection of the most common kanji.

Props to your reading abilities. 👍
Hope you enjoy the forums.
Thank you :)

Kanji are just rote memorisation or mnemonics for the most part. If you're interested in learning them I'd recommend Wanikani, it does a good job of teaching the most common 2,000 or so kanji. It's quite non-traditional though and cuts out some of the less common readings so it can be a double-edged sword, but it's more than sufficient for those of us happy to read manga and light novels :p

Thank you :)

Kanji are just rote memorisation or mnemonics for the most part. If you're interested in learning them I'd recommend Wanikani, it does a good job of teaching the most common 2,000 or so kanji. It's quite non-traditional though and cuts out some of the less common readings so it can be a double-edged sword, but it's more than sufficient for those of us happy to read manga and light novels :p

Yeah I could vouch for that too, as I’ve been using it as well. :)

Back