Hayao Miyazaki on Porco Rosso Sequel

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
The September issue of the Japanese film magazine Cut (カット) has an interview with the master where Miyazaki reveals a number of things, including:

After Ponyo he told his staff to plan to make two films (which may be handled by rookies) in the next three years if Arrietty should succeed
He gives information about a sequel to Porco Rosso: "Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie" which could be his next project:

"So I want to escape to "Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie". I have all its materials."
"It should be interesting."
"It is set for Spanish Civil War."

Source:
http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Latest_New ... ture_Films

"So I want to escape to "Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie". I have all its materials."

"It is set for Spanish Civil War."
Spain, you say?
Here is my prediction for the plot:
Porco is captured and made into chorizo. Secondary characters mildly disapprove of the cliché. El final.

What an unexpected announcement! It seems rather unlikely though:

Miyazaki-san said:
"I had thought about the possibility of "Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie" in the morning. But before Shibuya-san (the interviewer) come here, I thought 'It's not good after all, It's just my hobby.'"

Does this guy just dream up his films over breakfast? This might explain a lot! : D

Seriously though, I really don't know how I'd feel about a sequel to Porco Rosso. It's a lovely film on it's own (probably my favourite anime film) and it really doesn't really need a sequel. Perhaps we would most likely see it realised as a Ghibli short at the museum?

Its sounds intresting and would be fantastic as Porco Rosso is one of my fave Miyazaki movies but i always thought Miyazaki would never do a sequel but hey maybe hes throwing caution to wind in hs old age and just doing want he wants to do its not thats hes got anything else to prove,the man is a genius and i,m sure if he does go through with it,it will be nothing short of spectacular.

When a studio starts making sequels it's usually a sign that they have run out of original ideas and have turned to sequels to fill the void. :wink:

Back