Harukanaru Toke no Naka de (Haruka 8)

Miaka-chan

Stand User
After finally giving up on the fansubs and waiting for something that was never going to happen! I bought an alternate version :wink: and have watched the entire series, which I just have to recommend, as it was wonderful :D

I was thoroughly impressed with this anime. It kept me entertained from beginning to end, with it's beautiful animation, intriguing characters, wonderful music and impressive storyline.
The only complaint I have, is it lacked somewhat in the "Romance" department, which is something I was hoping for from the very beginning! The lack of romance was more than made up for with the lashings of bishounen (everywhere you looked, gorgeous, sexy male characters :lol: ).
Shoujo and fantasy fans should watch this anime!

The animation; all I can say is WOW! This series has to be one of the most impressive and beautifully animated shows I have ever seen. The colours were beautiful and rich and so well shaded, the cherry blossoms looked real as they swayed in the wind. The action scenes were extremely well done and I don't remember seeing any reuse of action shots AT ALL.
The character design was also out-of-this-world! The men were more beautiful than the women!

The op & ed songs were lovely, but I especially loved the opening. It was so obviously sung by Tomokazu Seki (the VA for Tenma), both songs were never something you wanted to forward on, as I never got sick of hearing them every 20 minutes! The insert songs were even better than the op & ed. There was a special vocal track, sung by the seiyuu of the character whose challenge had been met and they were all such good singers (I really want the soundtrack!).

The seiyuu themselves were nearly all perfect.

Eisen is a sweet and slightly effeminite guy and the seiyuu portrayed this perfectly, making him sound fragile, but at the same time, giving him just that right amount of manliness :wink:
Tomomasa is strong and very sexy and his seiyuu had the kind of voice that could send shivers down your spine!

The only complaint is with Princess Fuji, she's this ancient (but young looking) sage/seer, but she sounded like an 8 year girl. Other than that though, the voice acting was way above par.

The storyline is where everyone is alikening this to Fushigi Yuugi and yes! there are many similarities. The most obvious is the inclusion of the four gods (Suzaku, Seiryuu, Byakko and Genbu), plus the sweet girl being taken to a strange ancient land to become a priestess to save the land, add to that a gorgeous looking baddie with blonde hair and blue eyes and 8 warriors (Haichyo) for the priestess and it really does sound like Fushigi Yuugi, doesn't it?! but there is so much more to it than that.
The humans have persecuted the demons/Oni (people with blonde hair and blue eyes) for years and this is basically a story of revenge against the humans by the Oni. The priestess has to rescue the four gods who have been stolen by Akuram, the guy who is out for revenge.
I actually found the story very refreshing, as I have to admit I was expecting a "clone" Fushigi Yuugi storyline, but there is no "kissy-face", which I actually felt would have added a little extra flavour to the show (but that's just the romantic in me :lol: ).
There is of course the "every guy falls in love with the priestess" scenario, which I felt was a little overplayed, as yes, I can understand the reasons for some of them to fall for her, but nine of them?! that was just a little too much.
The ending was nothing like I expected either. I wouldn't say it had a perfect shoujo ending, as I expected something very different, more romantic maybe!
Other than one or two faults, the storyline was very engrossing and entertaining and what more could a girl ask for than all of those bishounen (I think I fell in love with all of them :twisted: ).

The characters are wonderful and very beautiful (and I don't mean the females!!).
In good shoujo tradition, all those with emotional termoil had all there problems sorted out by Akane, the priestess and sweet young girl from another world. She wasn't insipid or irritating and the way she went about everything was genuine and not forced, although she is a bit lacking in the common sense department and doesn't seem to be able to see what's right under her nose!

The Haichyo (her 8 warriors) were all fantastic. 2 of them are her friends from school; Tenma is the cool guy, with a fiery temper to match his hair and Shimon is a quiet weak guy, unable to stand up for himself, but he's so sweet and trusting.
The other 6 Haichyo are in Kyo, the land they have to save. Tomomasa is suave and sophisticated, a very sexy lady's man! Eisen is bordering on gay, but he's so sincere and sweet. Yasuaki is the cold, emotionless guy and a very powerful Omnyouji. Yorihisa is the samurai, strong and brave and willing to sacrifice all for his priestess. Inori is quick to judge and not very trusting, but loyal. Finally Takamichi, the book worm, he's very lonely and a rather sad guy. As I said, they are all so wonderful and it's easy to take them all into your heart.

Akuram is the baddie, and he seems extremely evil and nothing, no matter how evil, will stop him from reaching his goal. His loyal servants are people he has saved for one reason or another; Cerefu is sweet, but very misguided. Shirin is a beyatch! but desperately in love and Iktidal is someone who is something other than he appears and I couldn't quite work out why he's working for Akuram!

There isn't a single character you could dislike, you might hate them, but you can't dislike them!

After finally being able to watch all 26 episodes, I was thoroughly entertained the whole way through. The ending was a little unusual, but not bad in anyway, just not how I envisaged it to be! The lack of romance knocks this down from being almost perfect, but there's enough "eye-candy" to keep any fan girl happy. It's also the sort of story that because of it's lack of romance and it's intriguing storyline, could actually appeal to guys as well as girls and I would recommend this to everybody!

I actually saw the first episode of this a while back and really enjoyed it but was put off by legions of girls on forums going on about the 'bishies' :lol: But I may check it out again one day.

This actually sounds pretty intriguing, and the idea of a 'same but different' Fushigi Yuugi type story makes me all the more interested. I think I'll definitely have to investigate it.

Back