Haruhi Suzumiya/SAO Manga Advice

Peachy

Bumpkin
Hey guys.
Sorry if there's a better thread for this somewhere? (If not, maybe we could put up a Manga advice thread or something like that?)

Basically, I would like to start reading the Haruhi Suzumiya & related Spin Off's Manga/LN but I've done a little searching and there's a ton ..all under different names and what not so where would I start? Going to be a pain here but does anyone know the sequence to it all?

I've also noticed Sword Art Online is being bought over here, I haven't seen the show yet but I fancy giving the Manga a read, thing is, little unclear.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... t%20online

Is Aincard the start of the series? with Fairy Dance being a later/second arc?

Thanks so much for any help : 3

Regarding SAO I believe Aincard is the first in the series and Fairy Dance is next.

Rather annoyingly some of the Haruhi books are short story collections which relate to events in later books, due to the way the collections were released. However, this is the order the Haruhi books were released: Melancholy, Sigh, Boredom, Disappearance, Rampage, Wavering, Intrigues, Indignation, Dissociation, Surprise.

Aincrad would be the first arc in SAO. I recommend picking up the translation of the light novel which is coming out around the same time instead though. I haven't heard anything worthwhile about the manga, but the light novel was the original version of the story.

Ian Wolf said:
Rather annoyingly some of the Haruhi books are short story collections which relate to events in later books, due to the way the collections were released. However, this is the order the Haruhi books were released: Melancholy, Sigh, Boredom, Disappearance, Rampage, Wavering, Intrigues, Indignation, Dissociation, Surprise.

I thought something was odd last time I read a Haruhi book, I just assumed I'd not remembered something from an earlier book due to the somewhat lengthy time frames between reading each one.

Dannielle, I assume from your Avatar your already reading the Spice & Wolf novels?

Rosencrantz said:
Ian Wolf said:

I thought something was odd last time I read a Haruhi book, I just assumed I'd not remembered something from an earlier book due to the somewhat lengthy time frames between reading each one.

Dannielle, I assume from your Avatar your already reading the Spice & Wolf novels?

Basically, the Haruhi novels don't really relate to much ahead of themselves(though if you read them a couple of times you can say "oh hey i know this and this"), just a couple of them. And when it does, it never goes that spoilerific. The rest are more placed between prior arcs or before upcoming ones. Nothing that is written spoils what is to come, put it that way. You won't have volume 7 spoiled for you for reading volume 3, for example.

Arbalest said:
Basically, the Haruhi novels don't really relate to much ahead of themselves(though if you read them a couple of times you can say "oh hey i know this and this"), just a couple of them. And when it does, it never goes that spoilerific. The rest are more placed between prior arcs or before upcoming ones. Nothing that is written spoils what is to come, put it that way. You won't have volume 7 spoiled for you for reading volume 3, for example.

That's good to know

Dannielle said:
Hoping they tide me over till I get my Spice & Wolf season 3 .... sigh

Well they are the original source, that's got to count for something. But there's definitely merit to seeing Holo and Lawrence interact in animated form too.

Back