Half-Life $0.98 on Steam

It may well be the case that I'm the only gamer in existence who hasn't played Half-Life. In the unlikely event that there are any others, I thought I'd mention that in celebration of the game's tenth anniversary, Steam are offering it for the paltry sum of 98 cents until tomorrow evening. Even when adding VAT the total is less than a quid.

fabricatedlunatic said:
It may well be the case that I'm the only gamer in existence who hasn't played Half-Life. In the unlikely event that there are any others, I thought I'd mention that in celebration of the game's tenth anniversary, Steam are offering it for the paltry sum of 98 cents until tomorrow evening. Even when adding VAT the total is less than a quid.

call it 45pence.

thats cheap. i've never played it either. might be drawn into buying it :p

I bought Counter-Strike standalone back in the day and skipped playing Half Life entirely. Might have to take a look at that price.

R

You can (or could) get Half-life free when you bought certain games off Steam. I have had it three times in the past like. Good game and worth playing if not a little dated now... but that's obviously expected. You don't need to have played HL to play HL2, it just gives you a back ground on the main characters and the world you live in.
Episodes 1 and 2 also rock! ^___^

Voddas said:
You can (or could) get Half-life free when you bought certain games off Steam. I have had it three times in the past like. Good game and worth playing if not a little dated now... but that's obviously expected. You don't need to have played HL to play HL2, it just gives you a back ground on the main characters and the world you live in.
Episodes 1 and 2 also rock! ^___^
Well, like with MGS, I'd rather play the games in the order that they were intended.

I've never played the original since I never had a PC, but I have completed Half-Life 2 and the episodes multiple times and it's easily the best FPS I have ever played.

If you computer can browse the internet, it can almost certainly run Half-Life, so give it a try.

Just a warning though: Because Valve have yet to implement localised pricing schemes, the $0.98 will probably be subject to a exchange fee, which hardly breaks the bank but is probably several times in excess of the amount you'll actually pay for this game (I was charged £1.50 extra for buying the Orange Box this way). This may vary from provider to provider, or card to card. I'm pretty sure that I was never charged for Episode One on my old card...

Also, buy it now, because obviously, the deal expires soon. And you'll have to pay extra for CS, TFC, DOD and all the stuff that everyone who brought it ten years ago got for free :p

And before anyone plays it and whines: you had to be there to honestly believe that the game is as amazing as most people who played it at the time think it is. It popularised many of the mechanics you've seen in modern FPS games, but it still has tedious crawlspaces, tram-babysitting sections and a piss-poor end level. Nostalgia is a large part of modern praise for the game. Also, when people enthuse about the 'story', it's to do with how encounters are staged and told, not how it's written as such. The story is thinner even than in Half-Life 2, and if you've read the Doom or Quake readme file, you've heard the entire thing before.

Maxon said:
Well, like with MGS, I'd rather play the games in the order that they were intended.
So you played them: MG Solid 3, MGS3 Portable, MG 1, MG 2, MG Solid 1, MG Solid 2, MG Solid 4? :p It's odd, but there's probably more story and continuity in the Metal Gear MSX originals than there is in Half-Life 1. If you don't want the entire story, don't highlight the spoiler:

Gordon Freeman, employee of the Private Reasearch Facility Black Mesa, arrives to work at the Anomalous Materials Lab and pushes a cart into a laser beam causing a 'Resonance Cascade'. Aliens from an alternative dimension named 'Xen' flood through. Gordon is told to go for the surface for help. The US Army's Hazardous Environment Combat Unit (HECU) is coming to rescue the facility, but it turns out that their orders are to kill everyone involved instead. Gordon keeps to the industrial areas of the base to avoid the HECU, launches a satalite that may provide the means for reversing the cascade, but is apprehended and thrown in a waste compactor. He escapes and continues his journey to the Lambda Complex, the primary teleportation laboratory. When he finally gets there, he is sent to Xen to deal with the being responsible for the cascade's maintainence, the Nihilianth. He kills the Nihlianth and finds himself face to face with the mysterious suited man he has seen wandering around the complex all along. He is offered a job by this man, though what he will be doing is unclear.

Or to put the first two games less delicately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRsexrhbG8

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up, fablun! I played HL about 4 years ago on PS2 and I largely hated it. I think I'm more mature now, and I really did love HL2 an awful lot so I'm going to pick up this bargain :]

kupoartist said:
Maxon said:
So you played them: MG Solid 3, MGS3 Portable, MG 1, MG 2, MG Solid 1, MG Solid 2, MG Solid 4? :p
Nah. Only played MGS: The Twin Snakes, but I have MGS2 and MGS3 waiting to be played.

Gah i remember paying £20 for Half Life Generations 6 years :p Ah well TFC and CS were worth the price and i did love the first HL back in the day (PS2 version not so much, the controls didn't work well with me)

It's downloading right now :]

I just hope I don't spend forever wandering aimlessly around looking for what I'm supposed to do as I did on my first play through (I didn't even get to the end that time). Half Life 2 was perfectly linear, I hope the original has that too.

I remember when I got my first PC ( i think it only had a 300mhz processor, 3 gig harddrive and 64mb ram hehe). It was about 1998-1999. Before that I played my Amiga 500, SNES and N64. Well for the PC I had my first few games 'Rollercoaster Tycoon, Need For Speed 3, Everquest and Half-Life - btw, all fantastic games.

I loved Half-Life, it just had a certain edge about it - different from any console game that I had played before. TBH I was really shocked at all the violence and horror, well, from playing games like Mario and Banjo Kazooie to this. hehe. I was only 13 I think.

I mentioned Everquest too - this game raped me lol. I was lured in with its evil claws for 4 years. Anyone remember this game? I loved it, soo much better than any MMORPG after it.

Actually, now that I look back on Half life 1, its so much better than the sequel Half Life 2. The original had so many memorable moments like that bit where you had to sneek past that giant 3 headed (or something) worm in the open multi levels area and you had to throw grenades to distract it to get past and then just leg it! lol. :D

I played my 99c Half-Life last year after downloading it from Steam and I loved it. It was absolutely excellent and I totally get the hype about it now. HL2 is better, though; can't wait for Ep3 :]

CitizenGeek said:
I played my 99c Half-Life last year after downloading it from Steam and I loved it. It was absolutely excellent and I totally get the hype about it now. HL2 is better, though; can't wait for Ep3 :]
Agreed on every count.

Anyone just see those four skeletal horseman fly over the sky afore a wave of fire?

If anyone has a gap in their Half-Life collection, it's 66% off Half-Life weekend on Steam.

Basically every title under £5 (Most way under that), the entire series for £9. Indisputably worth a look.

I'd get it if my PC could actually run it. (Lol Orange Box on 360) Might just get the first game, my PC should definately run that.

Lupus said:
I'd get it if my PC could actually run it. (Lol Orange Box on 360) Might just get the first game, my PC should definately run that.
I'd say that any PC purchased in the last three years can run at least Half-Life 2, and most in the last five years can. My last PC was a mid-level computer I built in Summer 2003, and could play the entire series up until it started painting psychedelic garbage on my LCD screen due to completely unrelated fatigue :p

If you do get Half-Life original (£2.03), note that for a pound extra you can get the Anthology version with Blue Shift, Opposing Force and Team Fortress Classic. (£3.05) Certainly not ground-breakers, but the expansions were interesting novelties for their alternate view on the first game, and people still play TFC AFAIK.

Don't bother with Half-Life Source.

My laptop is a ****** Dell Inspiron notebook and it ran Half Life 2 without a problem. Not sure if it was at the highest quality level but it was pretty high and all :]

Back