Guys help - Dead Rising crashing "Disc needs cleaning&q

Gallus Glee

Dandy Guy, in Space
I know there are several happy Xbox 360 owners here so perhaps you could give me a hint.

I bought one on Boxing Day, it's been a joy to play and use, but Dead Rising keeps crashing on me (sometimes within a minute of starting play), with a 'Disc needs cleaning' message. It didn't do this at first, only after a few hours play.

Now it's gotten to the point where I'm just not playing the game, Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires and Viva Pinata don't give me any such problem.

The Dead Rising disc is perfect, no scratches or marks at all, it's a brand new and sealed copy from Play.com which hadn't come lose during postage.

Is this the 'third CPU' problem I've heard something about, you think? If so, should I just ask for a replacement machine? Is there somewhere I can get a print-out showing that this is a known problem to wave under the store assistant's nose? (Just in case).

Your help would be appreciated, I want to get stuck into DR again.

Maybe it's a faulty disk?

Either that or something to do with the xbox if i were you i'd send the game back ask for a refund or a diffrent copy if that doesn't work use the warranty on the machine.

Honestly it sounds like a faulty disk to me considering you have two other games that have no issues. Your best bet at the minute would be to get in contact with play.com and see if they will give you a replacement. Then if and when you get your replacement if you're still having the same problems as before it's then more than likely it's the actual 360 but this is highly unlikely.

Agreed with above statement. When hardware screws-up there are two major factors at play.

(i) Hardware is indiscriminate as to what software you're using.

(ii) Hardware failure is often more erratic and inconsistent in nature, whereas software failures tend to do the same kind of behaviour.

That's from my expereinces anyway (I had a faulty copy of Wild Arms 4 recently and I know 101% its a software failing because its problem is like clockwork).

My advice is just get a replacement copy or get a different game and get Dead Risng again later down the line. :)

It doesn't have anything do with the third core of the CPU(not third CPU), that's for sure anyway.

It's either a problem with the disc(likely) or a problem with the disc drive internals(laser, etc. unlikely). Take it back and get another one, if the problem persists phone MS and they'll send you a new 360.

Thanks for your help guys.

Subsequent to the first post, it's booted me out of Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires about 4 times (just upped and died, freezing) and a couple of times on Viva Pinata.

I'll call GameStation today, see what they have to say. Frankly, I've never had teething troubles like this with PSone or PS2s so I feel like I just want a refund and to get shot of the system - if it takes less than two weeks to get a 360 from fine - knackered I don't want to play.

Sounds like your 360 has broken to be honest with you, its not really a system that likes being touched, moved, breathed on heavily and appears to sometimes just break randomly in certain circumstances.

In all seriousness there were reports that Dead Rising caused a lot of problems for 360's made before a certain date so this is probably whats happened, ship it off to Microsoft and get it replaced.

No red lights, I know exactly what you mean but I've never been presented with any.

DW5E for instance just chokes and stalls, stuck with the image on the screen, disc makes some funny noises then the drive stops.

I know DR has given some people a lot of different issues but I can guarantee the disc is neither scratched nor dirty. It gives the clean-disc error in parts of the mall I've explored thoroughly umpteen times over - how is an immaculate, scratch-free disc supposed to become 'dirty' when it's been sat in the machine for 24 hours?

What scares the hell out of me is the thought that I've invested £200 in a headache and problems, both of which are regular and free and don't take up space in the living room.

Even if M$ sent me a new system, I'd be sat there with baited-breath waiting for the thing to go t*ts-up instead of.. y'know, relaxing. If it breaks umpteen times then I'm without the machine for a period each time and then back to baited-breath when the new one arrives - a box to insert games into was wanted, not this.

All the good points of the system don't compare to the misery that's being threatened. There's a perfectly good PS2 that doesn't just drop dead and insist that I clean an immaculate disc sat unplugged and waiting to be used.

Anyhows, thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated. Wish me luck for getting a refund.

Gallus Glee said:
No red lights, I know exactly what you mean but I've never been presented with any.

DW5E for instance just chokes and stalls, stuck with the image on the screen, disc makes some funny noises then the drive stops.

I know DR has given some people a lot of different issues but I can guarantee the disc is neither scratched nor dirty. It gives the clean-disc error in parts of the mall I've explored thoroughly umpteen times over - how is an immaculate, scratch-free disc supposed to become 'dirty' when it's been sat in the machine for 24 hours?

What scares the hell out of me is the thought that I've invested £200 in a headache and problems, both of which are regular and free and don't take up space in the living room.

Even if M$ sent me a new system, I'd be sat there with baited-breath waiting for the thing to go t*ts-up instead of.. y'know, relaxing. If it breaks umpteen times then I'm without the machine for a period each time and then back to baited-breath when the new one arrives - a box to insert games into was wanted, not this.

All the good points of the system don't compare to the misery that's being threatened. There's a perfectly good PS2 that doesn't just drop dead and insist that I clean an immaculate disc sat unplugged and waiting to be used.

Anyhows, thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated. Wish me luck for getting a refund.

My 360 died a week after i bought it, sent it back to microsoft, got a replacement within a week and had no probs for a year now

That's one thing that puts me off the video game industry a lot now. The technology is so bloody fragile that they can screw-up without much reason (I still have a suspicion cheaper parts have a lot to do with it).

Thank goodness for the Nintendo DS... :)

You're not the only one with this 'Disc needs cleaning' problem, there are loads of people on the Xbox forums that are getting it. Of course Microsoft are denying all liability. :?

And it's not the only problem with the consoles. Microsoft are in the middle of a (and please pardon the language ) shitstorm at the moment. You only have to check the xbox forums to see the amout of them that are breaking down and the trouble that the so called 'support team' has caused.

You really should check out the forums but here are a couple of threads that make interesting reading...

Post about, if you swap your console for a new one or get a refurbished one, your downloads are now only accessable whilst connected to the net, and only by the gammertag that downloaded them. -- http://forums.xbox.com/1159815/ShowPost.aspx -- Apparently it's a 'security feature'. :roll:

Post where someone has investigated and found out the reason why most of the consoles are breaking down. Combination of overclocking by the new patch and a design flaw in the cooling of the graphics chip. -- http://forums.xbox.com/8733984/ShowPost.aspx

Also, i'd just like to say that I had to take my 360 back and exchange it for a new one the week before christmas thanks to the official update. :x Been bloody paranoid about turning my new one on since. :cry: :?

Back