Gurren Lagan characters

harkins said:
I’ve just been searching the net for evidence of this conclusive proof that women don’t have ideas. I can’t find any. But I can’t wait to hear Ark’s explanation! :lol:

It was just another poor attempt at humour on my part. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

I just finished TTGL and.............. wow. Weird but wow.

One small comment. Does anyone else think the story is meant to have anti-environmentalist undertones?

I mean in many ways it's almost the polar opposite of some Miyazaki stories in terms of what the protagonists believe and what the antagonists believe. I wonder if that was their intention.

Ark said:

One small comment. Does anyone else think the story is meant to have anti-environmentalist undertones?

I mean in many ways it's almost the polar opposite of some Miyazaki stories in terms of what the protagonists believe and what the antagonists believe. I wonder if that was their intention.

Perhaps that's reading into it too much? I thought the message was intended on a more personal level, about self belief/courage vs despair (or something like that). Still, that's certainly a new way of looking at it, I never considered the idea of deeper subtexts until now :lol:

Wildcard said:
Ark said:

Perhaps that's reading into it too much? I thought the message was intended on a more personal level, about self belief/courage vs despair (or something like that). Still, that's certainly a new way of looking at it, I never considered the idea of deeper subtexts until now :lol:

I believe there were quite a few references to the nature of human desire to explore and expand.

Whether this is making an anti-environmental point deliberately is open to debate. Considering the issue has become so promenant recently I think it is. If you listen to the arguements that the Helix King (initially) and anti-Spirals make to support their actions it sounds very similar to the types of rhetoric that comes from some environmentalists.

Ark said:

Not as much anti-environmentalist as pro-human. While the most ardent environmentalists might believe that humanity is so corrupt that all hope is lost and the destruction of nature is at hand, Gurren Lagann suggests that we're a fundamentally good natured species capable of co-existing with everything else. Miyazaki's style is more of an attempt to guilt trip his viewers into being conscious of nature, both styles work, but I think you probably don't feel as heavy after finishing GL.

Paul said:
Not as much anti-environmentalist as pro-human.

Drifting a bit here but personally I think they're the same. I mean when push comes to shove you either believe nature should be subserviant to human demands or you don't.

Paul said:
While the most ardent environmentalists might believe that humanity is so corrupt that all hope is lost and the destruction of nature is at hand, Gurren Lagann suggests that we're a fundamentally good natured species capable of co-existing with everything else.

Personally I think it leaves the question of man's relationship with nature ambigious. Simon says that they won't destroy the universe but he doesn't explain how. What he is sure of though is that humans should continue to evolve technologically and culturally. In the end it's really about two conflicting impluses within the human mind. Fear of risk versus dissatisfaction with your situation.

Ark said:
Paul said:
Not as much anti-environmentalist as pro-human.

Drifting a bit here but personally I think they're the same. I mean when push comes to shove you either believe nature should be subserviant to human demands or you don't.

Paul said:
While the most ardent environmentalists might believe that humanity is so corrupt that all hope is lost and the destruction of nature is at hand, Gurren Lagann suggests that we're a fundamentally good natured species capable of co-existing with everything else.

Personally I think it leaves the question of man's relationship with nature ambigious. Simon says that they won't destroy the universe but he doesn't explain how. What he is sure of though is that humans should continue to evolve technologically and culturally. In the end it's really about two conflicting impluses within the human mind. Fear of risk versus dissatisfaction with your situation.

I think he demonstrates restraint in regards to that at the end when he doesn't use spiral power to bring Nia back, he's demonstrated his faith in himself and humanity, but at the same time he's acknowledging our limitations. That we're not gods and that there are some things we can't or shouldn't do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back