Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
2411305032006_gsg3.jpg

Gunslinger Girl Talkback

Site reviews:
http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.p ... review=295

Jo Sarsam's (Red XIII) review of Gunslinger Girl #1 said:
With its compelling cast and satisfying depth of emotion, Gunslinger Girl provides an initial instalment that never fails to deliver. Add in the top notch job done on the presentation front and you have a quality package that could quite possibly be one of the best series to hit the UK this year.

What is your opinion of Gunslinger Girl?

I remember being quite shocked with how brutal this series is. Unlike say Elfen Lied, where the violence is tempered with the occasional blast of leary harem, there is no letting up in GSG- it is a serious look at how innocent young girls can be twisted in government weapons and how that effects their personalities. I'm hesistant to say it's a great series (I think I only saw the first four episodes on fansub) but it certainly makes an impression.

I have to say I liked it :) the way they explore each of the girls relationships with there handlers certainly is intresting. An the action isn't to bad either. Bring on the rest of the show I say.

Paul said:
it is a serious look at how innocent young girls can be twisted in government weapons and how that effects their personalities

I strongly object government procedures to turn innocent young girls into weapons! :wink: (You have to give us a fair chance to see the show, it is out tomorrow, right?)

Officially it's out tomorrow but a lot of DVD shops and online stores seem to ship at least a few days early.

I'm really enjoying this series so far. I already own the first 2 volumes and the third is on the way. I can't wait!

series is good, but ends with... well a bit of an anti-climax, but even so it's still very good. I wonder if they'll make another series of it, as the anime ends where volume 2 end of the Manga, and the story in the manga is still ongoing up to Volume 4.

I thought the first disc was fantastic. Realistic visuals, interesting ethical issues and an excellent soundtrack - that op theme by the Delgados fits it perfectly.

In terms of story I found it compelling but pretty chilling. I ended up just feeling so sorry for the girls - being given an extra chance of life that is of a questionable quality is a really bittersweet thing. It's possibly the most unusual series I've seen in a while too - being a character drama with action scenes rather than the other way around is quite refreshing. It doesn't glorify the violence or ram a preachy message down the viewer's throat either; rather, it's up to you as to whether you condone or condemn the characters' actions. It's a keeper for sure.

Gunslinger Girl was my favourite R1 series of 2005. I loved each and every minute of it. There are some really touching moments in the later volumes, which really contrast against the backdrop of the violence and corruption.

I'm glad you guys are getting to watch this treasure!

Had to revive this thread just to say:

Gunslinger Girl Rocks! :-D

I watched the first two discs of it yesterday, and was blown away completely. :shock: Aside from a few, truly minor niggles, this series is working its way towards ousting Haibane Renmei as my favourite anime - one heckuvan achievement if I do say so myself. ;)

I'm not really into violence, and I loathe the gratuitous kind. Having said that, I found the violent parts in this series to be very tactfully done. They were neither OTT nor glossed over, but rather simply shown when necessary. The main focus is on the girls and their handlers. In a way, it's sort of like Haibane Renmei with guns, (boy, that sounds so wrong XD) with an action/detective/political theme attached. This series shifts its focus from star gazing to assassination assignments so effortlessly it's almost like magic. :eek: I just hope the rest of it will be as good. :p

Back