Gundam - Where to start?!

The Judge

Brigade Leader
Ok ok. Freaking I've had enough. Everyone rabbits on about Gundam and I have no clue. I watched a bit of Gundam Wing when it was on Toonami but gave up - thought it was a bit **** to be honest. Everyone seems to rate it so I'm thinking I might give it a go.

But where do I start?!?! There seem to be so many series!! Is there a definitive first series? Is it chronological??? What's goin on?!!! Lol. And are they all available on DVD or is most of it fansubs or what? Cheers people.

Ok, this is going to depend entirely on your choice of show, because they all vary in presentation. For understanding chronology, Sir Haggis' recent <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewarticle.php?showarticle=24" target="_blank">Ultimate Guide to Gundam</a> is extremely helpful on listing availability and summaries (MAHQ.net's <a href="http://www.mahq.net/animation/gundam/gfd.htm" target="_blank">Gundam for Dummies article</a> is also quite good, but contains some spoilers). Consult that first before reading further. As for where to start... hmmm. Depends on whether you like space operas, lots of explosions, super robots, pretty boys and girls or politics. Figure out which of these factors is the most important to you, and I'll give you my opinion on what would be the best starting point.

Lol. Cheers Rurouni. I could do without the politics really. Does my head in. I didn't like Gundam Wing at all either - anything that's totally different? Any straightforward ones where the main characters aren't majorly tortured souls and it's all doom and gloom?

Well ok, hopefully I'll be able to think of something you'll enjoy! A couple of things spring to mind:

G Gundam - this series is great switch-off-your-brain and enjoy stuff. It follows Gundam fighter Domon Kasshu around the world in his quest to find his brother. In this, the Earth is ruled by the colonies in space, and every four years a Gundam Fight is held on Earth to determine who will rule the universe (instead of having a big nasty war, see?). The plot does goes a bit deeper than that eventually. But the whole setup is just brilliant. Gundams fight each other in one-on-one combat, pilots yell out their signature attacks (I mean come on, the lead Gundam's main attack is called Shining Finger!) - the whole thing is really very cheesy. Totally removed from the original concept of Gundam, this is a Super Robot show to the core, although not a true representation of what a Gundam series is. Its damn good fun though!

Gundam X - although the setup for this is about as depressing as you can get (there has been a massive war between Earth and the Space Colonies, resulting in many colonies being dropped on Earth and practically wiping out the human race), the hero is a happy-go-lucky optimist (talk about rare!) called Garrod Ran. Young Garrod stumbles across a powerful Gundam X prototype used in the previous war, along with Tifa Adill, who is a powerful Newtype (Newtypes are basically psychics for all intents and purposes. There is a bit more to it than that, but its more simple if you think of them like that for the minute). They travel the wasteland of Earth with a Vulture group - scavengers who sell any machinery they collect to make a living - and eventually come into conflict with the newly reformed Earth Federation. Eventually, they end up having to stop another Space War. Although its a little samey to start with, it soon gets better, and maintains a healthy optimistic trend thoughout, which makes it stand out as a Gundam series.

Umm, what else... ah yes:

The 08th MS Team - Set in the Universal Century, this focuses on a team of Federation Soldiers fighting in the jungles. No super powers or powerful prototype Gundams here, this 12 episode series shows that the line between enemy and ally isn't so clear cut. Shiro Amada leads his squad against the enemy Zeon forces and their new secret weapon. A war drama that isn't depressing, and that focuses on the average grunt soldier for a change rather than the random-kid-finds-powerful-robot-and-helps-win-war formula that the other series go for. Highly recommended.

Hope that helps and I hope I didn't babble too much either :oops:. Can anyone else offer better suggestions than mine? By the way, Both G and 08th MS Tem are available on R1 DVD, and X is still fansub only. Have fun!

The Judge said:
Any straightforward ones where the main characters aren't majorly tortured souls and it's all doom and gloom?
Dude, it's Gundam. Everyone's a tortured soul and it's always doom and gloom. ;)

I'd suggest giving 08th MS Team and 0080 a try. They aren't quite as doomy and gloomy as Wing, don't have exessive politics and not quite everyone's a tortured soul. :)

ZZ is the most light-hearted-but-serious one, but some knowledge of the previous series is recommended. It's also not all that great. It's not available in the US, but fansubs are floating around.

I'd also mirror what H said; G is as far from a traditional Gundam series as you could hope to get, and X is the most optimistic.

All I can really recommend in these situations is where I myself started: My first series was SEED, and considering it's the most up to date one you can feasibly watch, the barrier of old animation isn't there. SEED is good IMO, but it certainly has its weaknesses.

And 0080 not Doom and Gloom? Surely you mean 0083? 0080's ending was the sadest i've ever seen! Rurouni is right to suggest Gundam X if you not looking for Doom and Gloom... perhaps it's just my tastes, but the upbeat Gundams are usually my least favourite. Turn-A is the exception, but I think some foreknowledge is needed for that and i'm about iffy whether it's a good enough representation of Gundam to recommend to a first timer.

i would also way that SEED is the best place to start as its was the frist gundam serie i enjoyed. I watch wing frist too and it made me hate the idear of watching anymore gundam series ever again.... but i gave SEED a try and now i love gundam serie (apart from wing).

kupoartist said:
And 0080 not Doom and Gloom? Surely you mean 0083? 0080's ending was the sadest i've ever seen!

Exactly why I didn't mention it! Great OAV, just... so... sad.

If you are still feeling sad after the end of 0080 though, read <a href="http://www.mahq.net/rants/neo/comic7.jpg" target="_blank">this</a> (but any frequent reader of MAHQ/Gunota has probably already seen it).

Rurouni H said:
If you are still feeling sad after the end of 0080 though, read <a href="http://www.mahq.net/rants/neo/comic7.jpg" target="_blank">this</a> (but any frequent reader of MAHQ/Gunota has probably already seen it).
Indeed I have seen it... there's a part of me (a neglected, socially acceptable part) that doesn't want to admit that I *still* find it funny ^^

kupoartist said:
And 0080 not Doom and Gloom? Surely you mean 0083? 0080's ending was the sadest i've ever seen!
I said not quite, and I meant the thing as a whole. Everything's pretty bouncy - until you get to the end. I stand by my recommendation of 0080 in an effort to get more people to watch it. ;)

Oh, and bigger backpacks!! :D

valha said:
i would also way that SEED is the best place to start as its was the frist gundam serie i enjoyed. I watch wing frist too and it made me hate the idear of watching anymore gundam series ever again.... but i gave SEED a try and now i love gundam serie (apart from wing).

Looks like SEED it is :D. Cheers for all the advice people. And as for not wanting doom and gloom I think I'm just a bit wary after Wing because I found that sooooo dragging. Doom and gloom is all well and good if done well but....I dunno I just hated Wing. I liked the Duo dude (think that's his name) and blondie rich dude but the others annoyed me.

Back