Gundam SEED

Actually I'd like to know more about this series as I am really into Gundam 00 and was thinking about trying one of the other series

Its a good enjoyable series, there are some annoying aspects about it and some annoying characters. The mecha designs are good, well some of the designs look good and it is the only gundam series featuring four legged mecha (BaCue's). The character designs were done by the same person (Hisashi Hirai) who worked on the characters for the s-cry-ed anime. Also you may want to try and have a look for the Gundam SEED Astray manga, as its pretty good for a side story and attempts to answer some questions left open in the anime.

The series is a little different if you have watched any other of the Gundam series. By itself it is enjoyable, but a little full of filler and shot reuse and if you can put up with the emo lead male(s), and the absurd plot armour, a good watch.
What I mean by that its different if you have seen other series is that Gundam Wing was bishi laden with lifeless characters, 00 is more focused on political commentary, turn A was character based and trying to combine alot of what had gone before. The links between series if often just in the title robot or the reuse of plot elements.

Having watched the entire series just recently on anime central ,I strongly recomend that you try and watch if it comes back on AC or you could like me buy the two boxsets that are coming out soon from Beez.Although the boxsets are expensive (over £100 for both) you are still getting a fifty episode anime or five episodes each for a tenner which is cheaper than the single disc releases plus Beez are promising exclusive goodies to go with boxsets.If you like mecha shows even a little bit than you love Gundam seed plus there is also the sequel Gundam seed destiny to come. :D

As Ryo Chan says, SEED is a separate universe from Wing so you don't need to watch anything else before giving it a try.

I certainly enjoyed SEED, it's not the best Gundam series I've seen but it's much more accessible than some of the older stuff (I started on Gundam with SEED, you see). Some of the action is great fun and it's all decently animated (not as good as 00 but then it's a few years older), although as hopeful_monster points out there is some use of stock footage (and plot armour). The story's relatively simple but generally well-paced (a few things are never quite properly explained, though). The mechanical design work is pretty good, the mecha come with lots of dongles and stuff but are generally cool and I personally think that the Strike is a particularly well-done design.

Opinion on the sequel, SEED Destiny, is divided. Some (myself included) think that it was a step down in quality, but that's another argument.

Until Gundam 00 comes out in the UK, SEED is the friendliest face in the Gundam universe and worth a try. It's slap bang in the middle of the franchise in terms of quality, but as far as UK availability goes, it's just about the best thing you can actually own.

Opinion on SEED Destiny is 'divided' in the sense that someone, somewhere thinks that it's worth watching, and everyone else hates it. I've not come across anyone fighting its corner. None of this should worry you: SEED does not end in a way that required SEED Destiny to continue it. This is underlined by how Destiny basically backtracks and undoes a lot of what SEED did in order to make its conflicts.

not to mention they have a new main char in destiny, then half way through, deside they miss kira and put him back in the spot light ^^

Back