Gundam 00's 4 Main Characters, 4 Gundam Units Revealed

jeremy1985

Kiznaiver
Bandai revealed all four of the Gundam Meister pilots and their Gundam mobile suit robots in this October's Mobile Suit Gundam 00 science fiction series on June 14.
The event at the Shinagawa Prince Hotel's Club eX in Tokyo also had basketball-player-sized statues of the four Gundams and prototypes of the upcoming plastic models.
Bandai president Kazunori Ueno said that the animated characters will appeal "not only to the female fans acquired by the last series, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny, but also the male fans who like a hard [science-fiction] worldview."
<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-06-14/gundam-00's-4-main-characters-4-gundam-units-revealed/2">Click here for the character information.</a>
Source : <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com">Anime News Network</a>

jeremy1985 said:
Bandai president Kazunori Ueno said that the animated characters will appeal "not only to the female fans acquired by the last series, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny, but also the male fans who like a hard [science-fiction] worldview."
Then give us a competent, permenant-fixture female Gundam pilot already.

I can't believe the purple haired thing turned out to be yaoi-bait as usual.

edit: and what do you know. The jock one did turn out to be the 'team leader' with a silly macho name. Oh well. At least one of the Gundams is orange. Don't see that too often :roll:

kupoartist said:
jeremy1985 said:
Then give us a competent, permenant-fixture female Gundam pilot already.

Why change the habit of a lifetime? Although, it does seem odd, given how common female moe-bait mecha pilots that this series doesn't have one too. Perhaps, they're afraid that having one will scare off the 12 year old boys they're so desperate to attract with this series.

Seriously though, the more I hear about this series the more convinced that this is going to end up as a barely disguised remake of Wing. Not that, that's a bad thing mind you I liked Wing, even though it's not actually any good. Besides, Wing is one of the few gundam series that has managed to be popular among both girls and boys. Hence why they're copying the formula.

Still, at least Bandai are saying the right things about the show. The Gundams look good too, and slightly different from the norm, even if the character sound fairly standard.

kupoartist said:
I can't believe the purple haired thing turned out to be yaoi-bait as usual.

Yup, the purple haired pilot is one that looks unbelievably female; I mean, the characters are even wearing pointless breast-plates to further simulate a female body shape. Not since Haku from Naruto have I seen such a crazy bishonen designs.

Paul said:
Yup, the purple haired pilot is one that looks unbelievably female; I mean, the characters are even wearing pointless breast-plates to further simulate a female body shape.
The question is whether he'll out girl Loran Cehack himself by dancing with a man in a crazy bee man suit, whilst wearing a ball gown. Who knows. All we do know is that Admiral Ackbar won't be short of work whilst this series airs.

I'm just rolling on the floor with the thought of what that manifesto would suggest if someone hadn't thought to insert the [science-fiction]. :lol:
And considering that the character designs are by Yun Kôga, I'm starting to think that the double entendre could have been intentional. :shock:

I too was rather surprised and disappointed to find that the purple-haired one isn't female. But giving it some thought, I'd rather it was a mysterious androgynous male than the wobbly-eyed buxom moe-bait that a female character would most likely degenerate into.

Some more Gundam 00 character and Gundam pics from the official site. Tieria looks even more feminine in his pink cardigan (I think that's what it is).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhr91Cvush4

The latest TV Spot has been uploaded to Youtube, it shows of what the Gundams will be fighting against. I read in an interview with Seiji Mizushima (director) that there with be a female main character, hopefully she'll be piloting the missing GN-004.

"Q: Will there be any romance?
A: There will be plenty of romance even under these harsh circumstances. *laughs* Yousuke Kuroda is going to include lots of romance in the story.

Q: Which means a heroine character is going to appear?
A: We haven't made that public yet? There is one, a 24-year-old heroine. She's been through a lot of difficulties.

Q: Will she be Setsuna's primary interest?
A: Umm, we haven't decided that yet. Again, she's been through a lot..."

Nice. The enemy mecha aren't cliche Gundam mono-eye / visor fare and look like the real world robots seen in more contemporary takes on where robotics are headed (for example, Metal Gear). It's just a shame that we know full well that ultimately, every man and his dog in G00 will have a Gundam as soon as the enemy MS toy-sales don't do to well.

Finally officially announced the staff working on Gundam 00, music by Kawai Kenji (my fave being his work on Production IG's Windy Tales) is another big plus :D

Planning: SUNRISE
Original work: Yatate Hajime, Tomino Yoshiyuki
Supervisor: Mizushima Seiji
Series’ composition: Kuroda Yousuke
Character design: Kouga Yun, Chiba Michinori
Sci-fi research: Chiba Tomohiro
Sound supervisor: Mima Masafumi
Music: Kawai Kenji
Executive producers: Takeda Seiji (Mainichi Broadcasting), Miyakawa Yasuo (SUNRISE)
Production: Mainichi Broadcasting, SUNRISE
Mechanics Designs: Ebikawa Kanetake, Yanase Takayuki, Teraoka Kenji, Fukuchi Hitoshi, Nakatani Seiichi, Ookawara Kunio
Art design: Sue Nobuhito (KUSANAGI)
Settings cooperation: Okabe Isaku
Color settings: Teshima Akemi
Art director: Satou Takeshi (KUSANAGI)
Producers: Maruyama Hiro (Mainichi Broadcasting), Iketani Hiroomi (SUNRISE), Sasaki Shin (SUNRISE)

Question: Do I need accessive Gundam knowledge to watch this upcoming series or not? Considering I'm fairly interested in it.

Lupus Inu said:
Question: Do I need accessive Gundam knowledge to watch this upcoming series or not? Considering I'm fairly interested in it.

This applies also applies to me =], I would start Gundam, but. . .Its got about 20 anime's prior to this, and that is just a tad scary to me.

Gundam 00 is completely unrelated to the other 6 distinct sub-universes of Gundam. You only need prior knowledge to understand the inevitable fanboy complaints when the series runs out of ideas and steals plot points from its forerunners. Hopefully, this will be kept to a minimum. The director (Seiji Mizushima) has admitted to being as little of a Gundam fan as it is possible to be in Japan, a fact which has me personally optimistic, even if the design side is a bit disappointing (the machines are all to obviously geared towards selling toys and their pilots look like one big barrel of cliche.)

Back