greatest game vote......

Part of me expected a first person game to be number 1 as it seems to be the genre of choice at moment. Pity the only ones I played are Exhumed and Final Doom on the Playstation 1.

As for Football Manager 2009 - I have the 2008 edition and hardly play it.

I would have liked to have seen Resident Evil 4 and Sensible World of Soccer do better.

Ryo Chan said:
name 1 thing better than a game that forces you to do math ;)
So you're saying it's the first game ever to have a currency or have an element involving money transactions? Wow.

Besides, simulation games are dull. I play games to escape from reality. Not pretend I'm doing something that could possibly happen.

Maxon said:
Ryo Chan said:
I play games to escape from reality. Not pretend I'm doing something that could possibly happen.
Is it really likely that anyone here will become a football manager? I mean, I have no particular love for these Excel spread-sheet management games, but it's still the same level of escapism.

All this proves is that most gamers are brainless drones.
FFVII first place would have been agreeable, surely not my absolute favourite, but one of them... but come on, Call of Buggery and Footjob Manager? Pft, call me a nazi, but I think we should abolish games, the infinite pleasure derivable is not worth such a sacrilege, eg. maintaining a crowd airheads.

Derfel said:
All this proves is that most gamers are brainless drones.
Indeed. I've been saying that for years.
kupocake said:
Maxon said:
Ryo Chan said:
I play games to escape from reality. Not pretend I'm doing something that could possibly happen.
but it's still the same level of escapism.
No it isn't. They are simulators and simulators are there to try to make the experience as close to real life as possible.

There's quite a difference between managing a football team that relies on real life rules and principles and a game that has you going around shooting aliens.

Maxon said:
There's quite a difference between managing a football team that relies on real life rules and principles and a game that has you going around shooting aliens.
Yeah, it's called 'genre' and it has nothing to do with escapism.

How about something like Mirror's Edge, which, putting aside its failings, is essentially about something that people can do, and actually do do (run, jump and dodge monolithic cliches over city rooftops)? Or any puzzle game created, ever? Because all you're doing in those is managing 'real life principles' that are coded into them, even if they don't 'simulate' professions you could (but almost certainly do not) have (and they're certainly not about shooting aliens or whatever).

kupocake said:

Games, regardless of genre, have everything to do with escapism. You are preoccupied with a nonexistent world, a nonexistent state of affairs and you craft its nonexistent outcome. You spend time on that instead of existent matters. Its all escapism. Regardless, escapism owns... about everything.

Derfel said:
kupocake said:

Games, regardless of genre, have everything to do with escapism. You are preoccupied with a nonexistent world, a nonexistent state of affairs and you craft its nonexistent outcome. You spend time on that instead of existent matters. Its all escapism. Regardless, escapism owns... about everything.
I think kupo was implyling that the genre and escapism are unrelated concepts rather than that games aren't escapist...

Managing a football team to win the Premier League is as far from real life for 99.9% of people as shooting aliens is.

ilmaestro said:
Managing a football team to win the Premier League is as far from real life for 99.9% of people as shooting aliens is.
If you go for the Home Office definition, shooting aliens might be illegal, but very possible.

Says the man who has registered himself at police's alien's record.

Back