Great Britain's fighting the power and piercing the heavens

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
2007-12-12flag27.gif

When the Daily Telegraph asked its readers to come up with a new and improved British flag, the response was surprising. Aside from the usual batch of contributions, a large number of anime fans brought their unique graphical talents to the competition too, and now, following a web poll, <a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/12/11/nflag111.xml">the winning entry has been decided</a> (pictured above).

"It represents shouting "UNION!" and joining together; kicking reason to the curb and doing the impossible; fighting the power, and piercing the heavens," said winning artist "Annoymous" from Norway.

For those who aren't aware of what this is referencing, it's a spliced together version of Britian's Union Jack with the iconic logo of the Gurren brigade from 2007's acclaimed mecha anime Gurren Lagann, which is set for a UK DVD release at some point in 2008 by ADV Films. Even the artist's quote above is making clear allusions to the series; "kicking reason to the curb and doing the impossible" and "piercing the heavens" are taken from rousing speeches made by Gurren Lagann's heroes Kamina and Simon.

I would adopt this as our new flag in a heart beat, especially if it included speeches from Gurren Lagann too :) We'd definitely win the World Cup!

That flag is awesome I haven't seen the anime that inspired it so when the dvd comes out I will be sure to watch it. I would definetly use this flag as our new flag.

So the Telegraph hasn't caught on yet then? It will never happen because as soon as the news got to Japan, Aniplex, Gainex, and Konami will be tripping over themselves to get the copy right suits to HM Goverment. Ignorance is so much bliss. :roll:

Lol, this is one amazing flag, I wouldn't use it for are counrty though because it does't mean anything to the people who aren't anime fans, tbh.

I would love to use it for a flag. Salute to the Gurren Brigade. ADV better get hurry up there release of this. I'm very eager to finally watch some TTGL (Nice Abbreviation Aye.)

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to be the party pooper, and say I REALLY dont think that would work as a flag.
We're fans and otaku, yeah that's great news. But most of Britain aren't into our fad/lifestyle. Even if it was, adding something like a flaming skull or a "Hello Kitty" head on make the flag look incorporated or tacky. It's good for a club or an event, but to sing "God save the queen/king" to this... I'd shoot myself before I dare.

Chaz said:
Hmmm, I'm gonna have to be the party pooper, and say I REALLY dont think that would work as a flag.
We're fans and otaku, yeah that's great news. But most of Britain aren't into our fad/lifestyle. Even if it was, adding something like a flaming skull or a "Hello Kitty" head on make the flag look incorporated or tacky. It's good for a club or an event, but to sing "God save the queen/king" to this... I'd shoot myself before I dare.

That's basically what i was trying to say before. :p

Yeah, awesome flag! Pity the article in the Telegraph didn't mention Gurren Lagann or anime :
Chaz said:
uot;]Hmmm, I'm gonna have to be the party pooper, and say I REALLY dont think that would work as a flag.

I doubt we're meant to take it that seriously! :p

That flag is brilliant, to be honest i would rather have that to the boring one we have now(even if it has just got the Gurren brigade symbol stuck on top). One i could fly at any time, and reminds me to finish the series off. Shame it would probably never be accepted as the new flag.

Espy said:
The iconic logo of the Gurren brigade? Rubbish, it's the Offspring logo with shades.

Ha ha yeah it looks a little like it. But I think its cool, quite different which I like.

Back