GitS: Innocence news

KingJimmeh

Magical Girl
Ghost In The Shell: Innocence will be re-released by Bandai Entertainment after that God awful Dreamworks/Go Fish Pictures fans were forced to suffer with for several years. This will feature a brand new English dub produced by ZRO Limit/Animaze who have done just about every Ghost In The Shell anime in existence, including the series. Besides that, the new DVD releases will have GOOD covers, and I imagine subtitles that work and are not closed captioning passed off on English subtitles either. Innocence will also be getting a Blu-ray release.

Source: http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/ ... -Day-2.htm

I don't understand why they're doing a new dub. The dub we have is great and includes the same voice actors as Stand Alone Complex. Why not just release that one? If anything they should redub the first movie.

Also beware of that link. It was filled with pop up ads.

I've never had to deal with that many pop-ups there. But maybe i'm used to it as I use that site for a lot of things.

Anyways, i've yet to see Innocence, but what I have seen of SAC is pretty damn good dubbed.

The problem is not the dub. The problem, (which really isn't a problem, but one that BE has made for itself.) I that the UK dub is owned by Manga Entertainment UK. As far as the US is concerned that doesn't exist for them so BE has to dub their US R1. but if they are using the same dubbing facility as all the other GiTS dubs I would hazard a guess that they will use the same VA too, and I don't think that they will mind at all unless they are fully booked already, however with the recent reduction of new dubbed releases, I doubt that to be the case. If BE asked MEUK if they could licence the UK dub for the US I'm sure something could have been arranged, however they might have already done that and no agreement was possible, hence the re-dub.

The new dub is because the movie didn't use the GITS:SAC VA's, so Bandai want to use them for the movie - for continuity.

And, this is old news all the way back from 2 months ago. I pondered at the time of writing the NYCC post whether or not to include it, but it didn't seem worth it at the time....

http://innocence.bandai-ent.com/

melonpan said:
The new dub is because the movie didn't use the GITS:SAC VA's, so Bandai want to use them for the movie - for continuity.

Err... ummm.... no.

The VAs were the same. Epcar, Freeman, McGlynn, Knight, McCarty... All of the SAC VAs worked on the first dub for Innocense.

Ibought the UK version which was totally fine imo as it's the US versoin that was poor (for once we get a better release! :lol: ). The US release from Dreamworks was sub-only with a truly naff cover, so it's due for an upgrade.

Strange that Manga's dub won't be used as they could earn a few bob selling the rights over. :?

Ushio said:
Strange that Manga's dub won't be used as they could earn a few bob selling the rights over. :?

Probably a case of its cheaper to re-dub it. I think Manga lost quite a bit on Innocense.

All this infighting between the licensees isn't really helping anyone.

Let me get this straight - Bandai are going to re-record the Innocence dub, using the *same* voice actors? I can't possibly see how that would be cheaper than buying the rights to the Manga owned dub track. They'll have to pay all the VA's to go back into the studio for a start.

Project-2501 said:
melonpan said:

Err... ummm.... no.

The VAs were the same. Epcar, Freeman, McGlynn, Knight, McCarty... All of the SAC VAs worked on the first dub for Innocense.

Well there's something in it. I don't know what dubbing studios are used for what, but I know that Bandai specifically stated they'd be using the same people from the Solid State Society dub, so I guess that's the same as SAC as well. The US release of Innocence didn't have a dub anyway.

The dub for the first GITS movie was different to SAC wasn't it? In both the UK and US the same dub was used for these, but Manga UK financed the dub for the UK release, and the VA's in that were ....?

The website specifically states "Includes All-New English Audio Track by the same studio for Solid State Society". If that's the same as the UK financed dub, then maybe Bandai just didn't want to pay Manga UK for it.

You never know. They just might end up using the dub we have on the UK release and claiming it to be an 'all new dub'. After all it wasn't released officially in America before so how are they to know (unless they imported).

Sy said:
You never know. They just might end up using the dub we have on the UK release and claiming it to be an 'all new dub'. After all it wasn't released officially in America before so how are they to know (unless they imported).
Something I'd say it's highly unlikely. Not impossible though... ;D

melonpan said:
The website specifically states "Includes All-New English Audio Track by the same studio for Solid State Society".

The Manga UK dub was done by exactly the same VAs as SAC but at a different studio.

The original film did have different VAs apart from Epcar and Knight (Batou and Aramaki) although Epcar is credited under a different name.

Sy said:
I think the VA would have something to say about that liek. Like "where's our money?" lol. Unless of course they are paid anyway as if they had been working on a dub in which case they'd have to be paid more to keep shtun.
Why am I making a big deal..... I think it's all crazy, but I don't care coz I've got the UK release and very happy I am with it too.
^_________^

I rather like Innocence, but I don't see where this is coming from. It was a respectable enough release apart from that first batch with the corrupted disc.

Wildcard said:
I rather like Innocence, but I don't see where this is coming from. It was a respectable enough release apart from that first batch with the corrupted disc.
The problem with the US release was that there was no dub produced for it. That may not be a problem for you personally but for a great many anime fans it is.

Back