Ghost in the Shell

Mangaminx said:
Wavey said:
I hope it is the whole serious, £30 does seem really cheap, prehaps a bit too cheap?

Its the whole series I believe.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain it's the whole series.

I think the reason it's so cheap is partly to do with the fact that it's been a good seller so far and partly because it isn't going to contain the DTS track discs (which if we're honest, few people are equipped to make real use of anyway).

12 days and counting, I'm looking forward to that review. I want to know whether the audio / subtitle problems have been fixed in the boxset. That's probably going to be the deciding factor for me.

I saw the first movie a while ago, and one of the 2nd Gig episodes on a Newtype disk last month - I've been waiting for series one to be released over here in complete form because I resent being stiched up £15-20 for one disk...

Neon-Noir said:
I saw the first movie a while ago, and one of the 2nd Gig episodes on a Newtype disk last month - I've been waiting for series one to be released over here in complete form because I resent being stiched up £15-20 for one disk...

Well it's actually 2 discs per volume, but you're right, it's only 4 episodes (3 on the last volumes) each volume. The difference is that the 2nd disc is DTS, which if you've you've got it, sounds awesome, and if you don't then probably isn't worth it. :mrgreen:

I'm afraid I love Ghost In The Shell (films and series). I go wobbly at the knees at they're mere mention...

Kind of. Maybe...

Love this series, we used to stay up late and watch our downloads of it at uni. Especially enjoyed the mini episodes at the end of each epsiode featuring the little Tachikoma tanks.

Seen all of series one and will definately collect series 2 when they release a complete box set.

Also features some of my fave Op and End music tracks

what is the relationship between the film and the SAC? Does the SAC follow on from the film. I assume the same applies to Innocence as well?

Or is the film just based on the series and therefore basically a highlights package?

SAC is based on the film, with the same characters (as well as some new ones), but it is sort of set in an alternative universe where Motoko and Section 9 never encountered the Puppet Master, as well as some other changes. Innocence follows on from the first film.

Its funny (well, it isn't really, unless your sense of humour is very, very unorthodox), but despite the fact that the Stand Alone Complex series are set in an alternate universe to the two films, I still find the films greatly improved because, generally speaking, thanks to the extra character development found in the series you get more of a "bond" ( :-/ ) with the characters in the movies. If you get the jist of what I'm saying. Maybe.

I also like the Tachikomas. Only the Far East could conjure up a walking tank-like device that has a cute personality but still manages to discuss, quite seriously, deep and meaningful issues. If Hollywood attempted it they'd end up with another Jar Jar Binks and then some!

Thought I'd share that.

:-D

pazza said:
So just to clarify (sorry, but I am considering buying), is the SAC boxset the complete series1 - #1 thru to #7?

As far as I'm aware, yes.

I noticed that the 2nd Gig complete boxset is also out on the 4th December in the UK (though I'll be getting the tin box seperately with the last volume). :)

That's what Play.com list anyway.

I suspect I'm telling peeps something that they already know though. :)

Apologies if that's the case.

Got 2nd Gig Volume 4 on Saturday and once again it impresses me at what a consistent property Ghost in the Shell is (in film or series form).

I enjoyed all four episodes but I thought the weakest (and this is a testament to the quality of it) was the first on the volume (though it was nice to see Paraz get some character development).

Best episode? Well, I do love the Tachikomas discussing deep and meaningful issues (it appears that the world of Ghost in the Shell has accepted the 'materialist' viewpoint on the mind / body problem generally) and it amused me in one brief sequence that one of the Tachikomas was "holding" a Richard Dawkins book), but I thought 'Poker Face' was an incredible episode.

Thought I'd share that.

Back