Ghost In The Shell 3?

Mangaminx

Stand User
According to an update on Anime Vision, Japanese animation studio Production I.G. have voiced an interest in working on a third film in the popular futuristic Ghost In The Shell series. Production I.G. are responsible for creating all previous animated versions of Masamune Shirow's manga, but Mamoru Oshii (who worked on the previous movies) has said he is not interested in working on a new film. If the studio do go ahead and develop a third film they may have to do so without his input.

The update also states there are no plans for a third season of the Ghost In The Shell : Stand Alone Complex TV series.

Erm, sorry to sound picky, but it's not Mamoru Oshii's Manga, it's Masamune Shirow's manga and original ideas. Mamoru Oshii did the movies.

I think the lack of Oshii's involvement could hurt this franchise, his philosophical musings are what made the first instalment so intriguing. This third film will more likely be closer in tone to the TV show, more serviceable in terms of action and plot but lacking the dramatic resonance and depth that Oshii seems to capture so effortlessly. Still good news and who knows maybe they'll find someone worthy and talented enough to fill Mamoru's shoes.

Interesting news, I'm definatly looking foward to further developments in this. The first two films and the series, while all sharing many elements, are all different in tone, from the action stylings of Stand Alone Complex to the philosophical musings of Innocence, and i'd love to see what direction this film goes into.

Shame about no third season of Stand Alone Complex though, Manga Ent. will be having a few restless nights methinks.

I think the 3rd film woult be based on SAC rather than another plotline for a proper movie, or it could even be an OVA for SAC to tie up loose ends. I have never seen a series like GITS to have more than 1 movie, let alone 3, it's usually things like Inu Yasha and Naruto with 3 movies. Although GITS is an odd anime franchise, but that makes it
intriging <---(did i spell that wrong :oops: ).

Where am i going with this... Anyway... :p :p

DaNiMé said:
I think the 3rd film woult be based on SAC rather than another plotline for a proper movie, or it could even be an OVA for SAC to tie up loose ends.

They're already doing something similar. The Stand Alone Complex movies will basically feature the 'Laughing Man' story arc, re-edited to suit the movie format, and with new footage.

Hum i heard about this a couple of weeks ago, it should be interesting, i wonder weather it will be based of Man Machine Interface or something else

Back