Ghibli Film 4

Some Ghibli film's are coming on

Tue 16th - My Neighbour Totoro - 2:50
Sun 21st - (repeat) -3:05

Fri 19th - Castle Of Cagliostro - 5:10

Sat 27th - Cat Returns - 2:50

Please tell me I'm not the only one, My favourite Ghibli film is 'Castle of Cagliostro' because it actually has a plot with memorable characters and follows through to the end

I thought that 'Howl's Moving Castle' and 'Princess Mononoke' were beautifully drawn and had themes running through it but it never had a consistent plot, just random thing's happening
Don't take this as I don't like Miyazaki but I would rather have a film have his input and somebody else writing it

I still haven't seen:
Pom Poko
Nausicaa
Ocean Waves
My Neighbour The Yamadas

So do you think I'd like any of these

As great as it is, Castle of Cagliostro isn't a Ghibli film. It was released 6 years before Ghibli was founded. It just happens to have been directed by Miyazaki so sometimes gets erroneously labelled as Ghibli.

Definitely watch Nausicaa. Although that isn't technically Ghibli either, but led to its founding and is practically Ghibli in all but name.

Pom Poko seems a bit marmite. Though I did enjoy it. I'd just say it was a little too long.

Yamadas is quite different from everything else Ghibli. It's based on yonkoma/4 panel gag manga and the movie is presented in a similar way, sort of made up of lots of comedy shorts.

PartiallyMetalAlchemist said:
Some Ghibli film's are coming on

Tue 16th - My Neighbour Totoro - 2:50

Oh yeah! Damn I have to do a badminton session, wait no I don't DELEGATION TIME!

Stu, it's a much watch. Btw I should tell you I make a **** gag every time the cat bus appears... it's "fur-nished". *grimace*

Oh and OP you have to watch Nausicaa, tis very good. Very ghibli too, be ready for a little bit of "this film has a message".... Still fun.

EDIT: OH NOES! They're going to be dubbed versions aren't they?!?

Hmm interesting you think Mononoke has no consistent plot. PersonallyI think it has a very consistent plot, its just not as black and white and this is the good guy/bad guy as much as most films, which is something I really liked about it.

Weren't there legal reasons behind the renaming of Lupin? Animeigo changed it to "Rupan" for the movies they licensed, while both Streamline and (I think) Manga UK used "Wolf".

Whatever issue that existed back then is obviously not such a problem in recent times, as Tokyopop, Geneon, Funimation and Discotek have all used the "Lupin" name.

The UK DVD? If so, that's the later Geneon dub. Manga UK themselves dubbed Mamo and Goodbye Lady Liberty in the mid-1990s, and I think they used "Wolf" in those.

In the interest of making an on-topic post, I say this to the OP: watch Ocean Waves. It's good.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Weren't there legal reasons behind the renaming of Lupin? Animeigo changed it to "Rupan" for the movies they licensed, while both Streamline and (I think) Manga UK used "Wolf".
I guess it's not impossible, I thought all the Lupin books were written long enough ago that it wouldn't have been an issue, but it seems they were still being written past 1923. I would still be surprised if this was actually the case, though, as opposed to wanting to give him a "cool" name rather than a "French" name.

Yep, there were legal reasons for not using the Lupin name:

ANN said:
Lupin III began as a parody of a novel series by French author Maurice LeBlanc, creator of the original Arsène Lupin. This led to legal problems, as Monkey Punch did not seek permission to use the name Lupin from the estate of LeBlanc. The estate decided not to seek legal action against Monkey Punch, on the condition that the use of Lupin was to remain in Japan.
To compensate for this legal issue, anime licensors released various Lupin III titles under different names. Streamline Pictures' releases had Lupin renamed "Wolf." AnimEigo released two films as Rupan III. In France, Lupin was known as "Edgard de la Cambriole."
In the early 1990s, the Lupin name went into public domain, thus allowing the use of the name on the anime franchise outside Japan.

Back