Gensoumaden Saiyuki/Saiyuki!

Colin said:
I have no idea how I've seen it before, though, given that I'm clearly too young to have seen it when it was broadcast in (I think) the mid-eighties. Mysterious.

No! Monkey was first shown in 1976! (I am 38, not 48 :cry: ). I remember quite clearly it was on a Friday night on BBC2 at 6pm :D
You might have seen the reruns which I believe were on Channel 4 about 2 years ago!

Colin said:
Miaka-chan said:
Ramen89 said:
Is there anything for a typical male anime fan such as myself in this series?

Oh! yes! plenty of bishoujo (pretty girls) with big...
Personalities?

So, is there anything in the series to attract a somewhat atypical male like me? Actually, forget that: I don't even know what I look for in an anime, so there's no reason to suppose that you will.

Yes! personalities, that's the one :lol: Actually for a nice change the females have big breasts and big personalities!!

@Colin: as long as you enjoy anime that has plenty of story and character profiling along with the monster busting action then you should enjoy Saiyuki. The animation is very bright and colourful, the music score is wonderful and as you don't seem to be adverse to yaoi, you should be able to enjoy something that mainly centres around 4 guys! (and no! I'm not indicating there's anything yaoi about Saiyuki but there is definitely a lot of "male bonding" in the straightest sense of the word :lol: ).

Miaka-chan said:
No! Monkey was first shown in 1976! (I am 38, not 48). I remember quite clearly it was on a Friday night on BBC2 at 6pm :D
You might have seen the reruns which I believe were on Channel 4 about 2 years ago!
I'm pretty sure it was shown in the mid-eighties at some point, because I know I didn't see it when it was on two years ago -- even though I meant to.

Saiyuki does sound interesting; I'll be sure to check it out when it drifts down into my budget range ...

Colin said:
Miaka-chan said:
No! Monkey was first shown in 1976! (I am 38, not 48). I remember quite clearly it was on a Friday night on BBC2 at 6pm :D
I'm pretty sure it was shown in the mid-eighties at some point, because I know I didn't see it when it was on two years ago -- even though I meant to.

Saiyuki does sound interesting; I'll be sure to check it out when it drifts down into my budget range ...

It may have been repeated in the 80's too, not sure! but it was definitely first shown in 1976 as I have never seen it since I was 9/10!
The image that sticks in my mind even to this day is of Monkey widdling from atop a high rock :lol: and I remember being disppointed when I found out Tripitaka was played by a girl :( :lol:

I know what you mean about budget, I'm going to have to wait for Reload and Gunlock to fall in price or buy a less than legit copy :shock: :lol:

Miaka-chan said:
I know what you mean about budget, I'm going to have to wait for Reload and Gunlock to fall in price or buy a less than legit copy :shock: :lol:
Ow the woes of having no money, i would have loved to buy that complete set of Mars manga you pointed me toward Miaka-chan but alas my lack of money will force me to buy them indervidually. At the moment i have enough money for one dvd (it's going to be a dvd instead of manga this time around as of my sisters choice, who i'm being extra nice to on account of her having to have braces fitted), and i'm having the biggest trouble trying to decide between seven different dvds (Trigun #1, Chobits #1, Last Exile #1, Kino's Journey #1, Cowboy Bebop #2, Kiddy Grade #1 and Tenchi Forever)

Tenchi Forever is a wonderful movie and if you buy that one you haven't got to worry about buying the other volumes :lol:
Chobits is great but there are a couple of scenes you should be cautious about letting your sister see (she's 14 isn't she?), when I came across one particular scene, I warned my daughter that if there were anymore like that, she wouldn't get to see the rest of Chobits :evil:

Miaka-chan said:
Tenchi Forever is a wonderful movie and if you buy that one you haven't got to worry about buying the other volumes :lol:
Chobits is great but there are a couple of scenes you should be cautious about letting your sister see (she's 14 isn't she?), when I came across one particular scene, I warned my daughter that if there were anymore like that, she wouldn't get to see the rest of Chobits :evil:
I think it's going to be between Trigun, Chobits and Tenchi Forever. I was worried a while back that Chobits would only be a PG or something and so not as good as the manga (like what happened to Love Hina), but if it is something my sister is going to watch, and my mum will probably watch it too (potentially embarrassing) then i might go for something different like Tenchi, or i could even get Kiddy Grade....that is one of my worst traights, indecisiveness, sometimes i can spend hours standing in a shop trying to make a decision about the smallest of things

Um, Tenchi Forever has a few "hot" moments in it too, and one particular scene was cut by about 30 seconds when it went from fansub to DVD :wink:

BTW I can't find that scene from the opening credits I was talking about in Saiyuki! I can't do a screen shot myself, I can never work out how to use all those downloads that allow you to do that kind of thing (I tried). Plus I had a good search and although I found one site with screen shots of the first intro, no luck on the second. :cry:

Back