General TV/Movie News & Announcements

The more I’ve thought about the Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker title. The more I’m on bo are with the theory that Skywalker refers to a new order that will supplant the Jedi.

Real world religions that have emerged from another commonly name themselves after their founder.

It all adds up and makes sense when you consider the ending to the last movie. Luke is witnessed standing up to First Order tanks and not receiving a scratch before magically vanishing. The end of the movie then shows him him being discussed like a mythical legend. The Christ allegory is there.

George Lucas also considered Skywalker as a name for a religious order before Jedi. So it it ties back there.

Also just going from the title ‘The Last Jedi’ to ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ flows very well too.

It’s all just a theory could be completely wrong. But if it makes so muck sense that if it isn’t true, I’ll be mad! XD (some sarcasm there)

Arrow Video have revealed their July 2019 line-up:

D5FeH68WAAA6Ol5

The Chill Factor
FM
Lords of Chaos
The Loveless
Schramm
Sixteen Candles
Weird Science

In addition, We Are the Flesh is now available to stream on Amazon Prime Video.

Weird Science is a nice surprise, quite enjoyed that film when I watched it many years ago. Many may recognize the film through its title song from New Wave group Oingo Boingo.

As mentioned in the first post, the 2018 Suspiria reimagining is now streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

On the topic of Suspiria 2018, Koch Media (Germany) released the film on BD and UHD in various configurations:

Standard UHD/BD/DVD
3 disc Mediabook
(BD/DVD + bonus BD) *available in two variants*
6 disc Steelbook (UHD/BD/DVD + bonus BD + 2 disc OST) *out on June 13*

10 disc Ultimate Edition
2018: UHD/BD/DVD + bonus BD + 2 disc OST​
1977: UHD/BD + bonus DVD + 1 disc OST​
Comes with two English subtitles tracks:
German/French dialogue only. Has a few mistakes: there's a transparent red rectangle behind the subtitles and French dialogue doesn't have a blue drop shadow (if you can rip BD/UHD, PM me for a corrected subtitle track)​
All dialogue

I have Mediabook variant A, which is quite nice.

Last edited:
Distributor MUBI has started bringing some of their films onto the home video format.

6qjcdbWm.jpg
8SwgVcIm.jpg
6C9bko3m.jpg

The films heading to Blu-ray & DVD (separate formats) are as follows:
  • 15th July 2019 - Border (dir. Ali Abbasi - Swedish audio with English subtitles)
  • 26th August 2019 - Under the Silver Sake (dir. David Robert Mitchell - English audio)
  • 7th October 2019 - Suspiria (dir. Luca Guadagnino - English/German audio with English subtitles)

Arrow Video have revealed their August 2019 line-up:

D75rqvjXUAIjj-9

Alice, Sweet Alice (US & Canada only)
Cruising (UK, US & Canada)
Oldboy (UK)

Oldboy was initially released by Palisades Tartan on Blu-ray and DVD, and now it's back with a brand new 4K restored transfer by director Park Chan-wook. The film will have a brand new limited edition set that includes a 100-page hardbound book featuring new writing by Simon Abrams, Kat Ellinger, and original reviews, a doube-sided fold-out poster, and limited edition packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Matt Ryan Tobin. The Arrow release will also include Old Days: An Oldboy Story, acclaimed feature-length 2016 documentary about Park Chan-wook's masterpiece.

Links are available on Amazon for Cruising and Oldboy.

(disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated)

Arrow Video have revealed their September 2019 line-up:

D-J4XTKXsAA_W6Z

The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 (UK, US & Canada)
Macabre Visions: The Films of Mario Bava Collection (UK)
The Prey (UK, US & Canada)
Who Saw Her Die? (US & Canada only)

In addition, The Ring will be available on Amazon Prime for streaming via the Arrow Video channel.

Arrow has confirmed that a select number of titles featured in the Macabre Visions: The Films of Mario Bava will be expiring at the end of the year. The films included in the collection are Black Sunday, The Girl Who Knew Too Much, Black Sabbath, Kill, Baby... Kill!, Five Dolls For An August Moon, A Bay of Blood, Baron Blood, Lisa And The Devil, and Rabid Dogs.

Meanwhile, over at Eureka Entertainment, a standard edition version of Jackie Chan's Police Story & Police Story 2 is coming this September. Available to pre-order on Amazon.

(Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links for Amazon, which will support me if you buy anything through the links provided.)

Marvel Studios have officially announced their Phase 4 line-up. The line-up will feature both theatrical films and Disney+ TV Shows.
  • Films:
    • May 1st 2020: Black Widow
    • November 6th 2020: Eternals
    • February 12th 2021: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    • May 7th 2021: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
    • November 5th 2021: Thor Love and Thunder
  • Disney+ TV Shows:
    • Autumn 2020: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
    • Spring 2021: Loki
    • Spring 2021: WandaVision
    • Summer 2021: What If...?
    • Autumn 2021: Hawkeye
Also confirmed are the following:
  • Black Panther 2
  • Blade
  • Captain Marvel 2
  • Fantastic Four
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3
  • Spider-Man MCU 3 Not confirmed for Phase 4 nor mentioned at the slate since it's a Sony title but it's definitely happening

Last edited:
Blade certainly hit us out of nowhere. I'll be interested to see how/if Jane's Thor and the original will co-exist and I'm very intrigued by Doctor Strange taking a horror movie turn. Hope this is a sign that the MCU will get to branch out.

A much better look at 'His Dark Materials' which is looking great. Not that it would be the biggest deal and all but I have concern they might censor out the more explicit Catholic church references in a series that exists to criticise organised religion, Granted, as long as the Angel names etc aren't changed then the message will still be pretty clear but it still rubs the wrong way if they let religious pressure censor a work that criticises that very practice.

Bow, I have less to say about Star Trek: Picard but only because its now my most anticipated TV series going forward.

I do wish they’d stop messing around with Trek’s aesthetic - In Enterprise and Discovery it kinda makes sense, but as a continuation of TNG I’m having trouble buying that everything’s gone from being all sleek and clean to dark and cyberpunk in the space of 20 years. Part of TNG’s timelessness is that the bridge of the Enterprise looked like an airport lounge 30 years ago and it still looks like an airport lounge today (seriously, do an image search) by being a bit bland and nondescript it escaped being too dated (hairstyles exempted, though Jean-Luc himself handily escapes that and more girls should rock the Tasha Yar, frankly) and I am a little concerned from the trailer that Picard seems to be leaning into current style trends a bit hard.

Putting these visual gripes aside though, I can’t deny that it put a smile on my face to see Patrick Stewart back in the role. It also looks to be dealing with some interesting and timely topics that have come a long way since TNG first aired - We’re probably not that far from creating Data (it’s amazing to think that the ship’s computers in Trek are not that much more advanced than Siri/Alexa/Cortana) and despite being wary of an AI takeover Elon Musk now seems A-OK with potentially creating the Borg. I stay away from rumour mills so I was both surprised and happy to see Data... if it is Data. It’s Brent Spiner in any case, and that’s enough.

I've never felt I want Trek to be stuck in the past visually. Its didn't look the same between TOS, TOS movies and TNG - ENT. I expect things to move on rather than have everything married to what is now a retro look.

I've never felt I want Trek to be stuck in the past visually. Its didn't look the same between TOS, TOS movies and TNG - ENT. I expect things to move on rather than have everything married to what is now a retro look.
It's not so much that I want things to stay the same, it just feels like there should be more of a discernible continuity there. From TOS to the movies to TNG I had more of a sense this could actually be style changes happening in universe, but this just feels a bit disconnected. It's probably partially down to the way it's being shot and lit as well.

The filming and effects is all down to how the industry has moved and it comes with many advantages. Aliehs that look like aliens rather than slightly altered humans. New worlds that look interesting with a sense of scale to them, CG ships look better than they ever have while being quicker and easier to make witch means less stock shots. This also stretches to space battles, thus resulting in more visible damage rather than just the crew flailing around and camera shaking. Technology, both industry and consumer, moved on a heck of a ways between Enterprise and Discovery.

Back