Gateway anime.

devilrules666

Combat Butler
What anime do you guys think is like a gateway drug for new people to get into anime? I can think of a few.

Beck
Cowboy Bebop
Wolf Rain
Fullmetal Alchemist
R.O.D
Fruits Basket

Lawrence said:
animefreak17 said:
Ummmm well if you can get someone in to one piece then it's all over theyll want more

Couldn't the same be said of most things?

Not sure about that, I mean show people Gundam SEED Destiny and they may run for the hills [/zing]

Or show then Legend of the Overfiend...

*rage* gundam seed/destiny is the worst piece of crap next to first squad those basterds reused loads of stuff and isn't original and they made the gundam like toys.

Gundam wing is the best damn series of all the Gundam series

devilrules666 said:
Good point there. Every gundam show has always had the figures with them. They must sell like hot cakes in Japan .

It's more the Gunpla (model kits) that sell like hot cakes over there, but even the toys/model kits weren't enough to save the first series, the original gundam...

I actually liked Gundam SEED...wasn't that keen on DESTINY though (Shinn Asuka is an annoying twit and why retcon Mu La Flaga?). I really liked Gundam 00 though. Also, iirc, SEED was essentially a reboot. So the fact that we got SEED DESTINY, 00 and AGE afterwards (Well and Unicorn, but that's linked to the UC series') shows that it must have done fairly well.

As for the main topic, as said earlier, Studio Ghibli is a good way to get people to take a look at anime (The Cat Returns remains a family favourite).

It all depends on who you are aiming for though. I'd say, if someone likes action films, show them something actiony. If they like romance, show them something romantic. After all, anime isn't a genre, it's a medium (albeit a niche medium). All because I like one kind of live-action film doesn't mean I'll like them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Studio Ghilbli is indeed a good gateway, my nieces have most of their films (though I question the age rating of Mononoke at times...) I also agree with what you say Josh, there would be no point in showing someone who has no intrest in sci-fi something like gundam or macross.

and yes, Gundam 00 is good, 00-Rizer is awesome in action.

Ghibli for sure. I got my mother to watch a few as I knew she'ld like them [She eventually went out of her way to buy her own "Cat Returns" haha] and she's hooked on them, always excited when I tell her about new ones, haha.

In turn, she asked to watch some series, so i showed her Bleach, Soul Eater & D-Gray man, as its not hard for someone who's not used to Anime to enjoy them ..and yeah, she liked them :)

My brother really enjoys Eureka 7, even though he's not really into Anime so I think Mecha/Action is a good thing for the majority of guys to start on.

My personal gateway was [excluding what I saw as a kid as my interest didn't flower till till I was 18-19] Ghibli, saw Totoro in the shops, thought it looked cute, so I bought it and BOOM, hooked.

EDIT: Can I just say my mother is awesome? Open-minded about all my interests, <3 her. She even giggled at P&S when she glanced over my shoulder & Thought the Elfen Lied opening was "beautiful" :O Rather than "OMG, ANIME IS ALLLZZZ PORRNNZZ"

Sorry for the off topic-ness haha.

Lawrence said:
Hmm, talk as if you want to hook someone on anime? Isn't this kinda like forcing your taste on someone?

YES. THANK YOU. This is pretty much how I feel whenever a thread like this shows up. Saying "make them watch this and they'll now want to watch all the animes ever" is silly to me.

However, I do believe in trying different things, and if someone asked me what decent anime stuff was out there, FLCL and Bebop would be the first things off the top of my head.

Something that has a universal appeal and lacks in general reference to Japanses life.

Things like Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, the GITS series are probably good bets. Fairly broad subjects that are not so much of a jump from watching a live action series.

-edit-

No doubt that FLCL is a great show but you'd have to target it at the right kind of person as a first anime, I could easily see some being put off becuase it's just too much randomness.

I DID NOT SAY FORCE IT ON ANYONE. This thread is for opinions on what to recommend to people who want to get into anime. You guys need to read what i write.

devilrules666 said:
I DID NOT SAY FORCE IT ON ANYONE. This thread is for opinions on what to recommend to people who want to get into anime. You guys need to read what i write.

I understand ^_^.

Well it would depend on the person really

If there in to sci-fi show them a sci-fi anime ect ect ect ect you know

If I'd had to suggest I'd say

Trigun
School rumble
Ouran high school

The best way is to show them comedy's first and let it take it from there

Gurren larganns a good one too

Joshawott said:
It all depends on who you are aiming for though. I'd say, if someone likes action films, show them something actiony. If they like romance, show them something romantic. After all, anime isn't a genre, it's a medium (albeit a niche medium). All because I like one kind of live-action film doesn't mean I'll like them all.

Totally agree with this.

If you were asking for a generic bet, then I would say Great Teacher Onizuka.

Teo

Back