Gantz & Anime All Nighter at the SCI-FI-LONDON Film Festival

Raz112

Completely Average High School Student
At the 10th Annual London International Festival of Science Fiction and Fantastic Film - Sci-Fi London 10 for short - are planning two events related to the world of Anime.

The first event is the UK Premiere of the live adaptation of the manga and Madhouse anime, Gantz, on Tuesday 26th April at 8.10pm in conjunction with the Terracotta Far East Film Festival.

The film revolves around two teens who, after trying to rescue a man on the subway track, wake up in a room dominated by a mysterious black sphere that sends them to hunt down and kill aliens hiding on Earth.

The second event is the MANGA 20th Anniversary Anime All-nighter to celebrate 20 Years of Manga Entertainment, with a very exciting list of anime which are going to released by Manga Entertainment in the near future.

The films scheduled are:

<strong>Akira (1988) [Remastered HD version]</strong> - the first UK screening of the 2009 remastered HD version of Otomo Katsuhiro's seminal work which introduced anime to the West in the late 80's and becoming a cult classic.
Now remastered for the 21st Century with a brand new HD digital print, this gritty and intelligent tale depicts an impending battle between Neo-Tokyo's government weapons, telekinetic humans, and the cyberpunk resistance that threaten to destroy the post-apocalyptic world.

<strong>Eden of the East &ndash; Air Communication (2009)</strong> - This is a special compilation of Kenji Kamiyama's [Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex] popular TV series of 2009 condensing the whole 11-part series into one easily digestable movie for you to enjoy.

The anime revolves around a missile incident known as "Careless Monday"; a girl - Saki Morimi - who is saved by a mysterious man - Akira Takizawa - who has lost his memory, his clothes, and only holds a gun and a phone with 8.2 Billion Yen in digital currency in his possession; and a game to which this man realises he is a part of where he must help save Japan with this money or else.

<strong>Eden of the East &ndash; The King of Eden (2009)</strong> - The first of two movies that continue the story where the series left off with Akira's disappearance, leaving his phone to Saki and instructions to meet him where it all began. But she is not the only one looking for him...

<strong>2001 NIGHTs: TO (2009)</strong> - Originally a series of loosely connected science-fiction stories by Hoshino Yukinobu connected by being set in the same timeline. Two of the nineteen stories have been adapted into two 3D CGI OVAs, directed by Sori Fumihiko [Vexille].

<strong>Redline (2010)</strong> - First shown in the UK as part of Helen McCarthy's Japanimation programme in the Barbican, this 10 year production by first time director Takeshi Koike is an ultra-stylish, thrilling anime of breathtaking quality which sees dare-devil JP entering Roboworld's Redline, the ultimate racing tournament despite the military government and organised crime syndicates threatening to get in the way. Chaos, carnage, and high speed romance all ensue as the contestants race all the way to the finish by any means possible.

That's quite a lineup, and is scheduled to take place on Saturday 30th April, from 11.45pm to 11.30am

Tickets are &pound;35, and are selling fast. There will also be DJs in the bar, a MANGA WALL, goody bags and freebies.

Sources - <a href="http://www.sci-fi-london.com/festival/2011/programme/feature/gantz">Gantz</a>, <a href="http://www.sci-fi-london.com/festival/2011/programme/all-nighter/anime">Anime All-Nighter</a>

Hmm I don't think I can handle a whole day of watching anime, but it is somewhat tempting even if only for the chance to see the new Eden film on the big screen. Anyone planning to go to this?

Would love to go down to simply see the live action Gantz film, but its too far for me living up north, will just have to wait for the dvd release in september :(

Right well the chance to see Akira, the new Eden film and Redline all on the big screen was too much for me to resist so I've booked my ticket even though it is a tad pricey and I'm not too sure I can handle the whole 12 hours.

Shame no else from here is 'ardcore enough to 'ack it.

vashdaman said:
Right well the chance to see Akira, the new Eden film and Redline all on the big screen was too much for me to resist so I've booked my ticket even though it is a tad pricey and I'm not too sure I can handle the whole 12 hours.

Shame no else from here is 'ardcore enough to 'ack it.
The oposite actualy, the lineup isn't worth the effort. They're just playing their next few months disk releases on a big screen, nothing special.

Last year two of the films hadn't come out in Japan yet (Redline, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works), Musashi hadn't even been fansubed.

Back