Games you've played to Death

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
What games have you played so much that you find it difficult to play any more? In my case it's Dragon Age:Origins. Completed it a few times before my computer died taking all the save games with it. Then had to replay it to get some save games for DA2 by this time I had finished it about half a dozen to a dozen times, plus twice as many half completed games.
Every time I try and play I remember every time I played it before. I know where the enemies are going to be, what the dialogue choices are and which to choose.

Probably Lumines. My games on that take too long now for the initial period to hold my attention.

Your DA story has chilled me to my very soul, though.

There are actually very few games I play all the way through, otherwise, yeah I would probably get tired of them. (To reiterate I mean repeat play all the way through =P I don't just pop them in and then give up)

I'm much more of an episodic game replayer, I like to pop in a game, boot up my favourite level and then shut down again before I get bored of it, though one level I'm getting a bit sick of is Mars Prison defence in Timesplitters Future Perfect multiplayer. It's easily the best assault map, but I've played it SO many times because it's all my friends want to play when they come round.

I lost count of how many times I played through Resident Evil 2 back in the day. Every Sunday I'd attempt a speed run for one of the scenarios, desperately trying to remember in which order to do things in order to save the most time, and think I managed to get it down to 2-3 hours each.

These days nothing holds my attention for that long. But I have put about 100 hours into Oblivion, and 90 into Fallout 3 and Persona 3. Oh, and hundreds of hours of Mario Kart Wii online before my luck seemed to completely desert me and I began to loathe it with a passion.

I lost the ability of being able to replay a game years ago. I'm lucky if I even complete a game once these days, and after that theres no way I'm going back to it, unless maybe its a true classic then I might return something like five years later. Also there are too many good games I want to play but I barely have time to play any of them let alone replay them.

Whenever I hear a game has alternative endings, I usually get excited and think "ooh thats nice", but not so much once I realize I'm never gonna complete it more then once(if that) and I'll probably get the shite ending as well.

Two games I do want to replay though are Shenmue 1 and 2 because I love those games and I haven't played them in years and years now, also you always discover something new playing it again. Oh yeah and despite them being my two favourite games ever, I've never actually completed Shenmue 1..... I got caught by the blasted forklift bug when I first played it, and to this day I still haven't righted that wrong. I think I'll wait for Christmas time though as thats the season for Shenmue.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I lost count of how many times I played through Resident Evil 2 back in the day. Every Sunday I'd attempt a speed run for one of the scenarios, desperately trying to remember in which order to do things in order to save the most time, and think I managed to get it down to 2-3 hours each.
I used to speedrun Resident Evil 2 quite a lot as well, just to try and unlock the 4th Survivor mini-game, I never did though, best time was around 2:28 on Leon A.

Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect were other games I played repeatedly, the multiplayer is ludicrously fun even with bots and I always played co-op with my cousin, Timesplitters 1 was pretty memorable to, countless hours trying to complete the Mansion level on hard, Half Life 2: Death Match was another game I put loads of hours into and now that I think about it, loads of time on Mario Kart 64. And Tetris.

Oblivion!

Just so much fun going through with new races and builds. I never actually completed the main story though; but still put in way too many hours lol.

Shirayuri said:
Oblivion!

Just so much fun going through with new races and builds. I never actually completed the main story though; but still put in way too many hours lol.
I ditto this! Get to about level 30 then start again, moaning that the game is too hard for Stealth orientated characters in the process

fabricatedlunatic said:
Oh, and hundreds of hours of Mario Kart Wii online before my luck seemed to completely desert me and I began to loathe it with a passion.
I heard that game was a legitimate test-of-skill racer, bro. >_>

I've never played and re-played a game as often as a dozen times. In fact, I rarely ever re-play games (why bother, when there are so many great new games to play?). The game I've played the most though, was Final Fantasy XII ... put about 140 hours into it!

ilmaestro said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Oh, and hundreds of hours of Mario Kart Wii online before my luck seemed to completely desert me and I began to loathe it with a passion.
I heard that game was a legitimate test-of-skill racer, bro. >_>
Not sure if serious...

MK is a lot more skillful than some people give it credit for, but when you have a bunch of people with approximately the same level of skill, luck plays a much bigger role. Usually it's swings and roundabouts but I went through an extended period where nothing went my way, so for the sake of my already fragile sanity I hung up my racing gloves.

fabricatedlunatic said:
MK is a lot more skillful than some people give it credit for, but when you have a bunch of people with approximately the same level of skill, luck plays a much bigger role. Usually it's swings and roundabouts but I went through an extended period where nothing went my way, so for the sake of my already fragile sanity I hung up my racing gloves.
MK was about skill in earlier versions. Now it's Wacky Races minus the fun. I miss MK64.

Shuuya said:
I put so many hours into Perfect Dark, and I still never got a Perfect Agent rank.

Same. The time on my file reads at about 3 or 4 days of play spread over 11 years (for multiplay, of course).

I got to rank 11... and then my controller pak died :( Quite why I didn't save it on cartridge, I don't know.

Back up the ranks now, thanks to a Perfect Sims/Remote mines 'glitch'

Shuuya said:
MK was about skill in earlier versions. Now it's Wacky Races minus the fun. I miss MK64.

And this.

I still play MK64 with my friends some 14 years later.

We seem to play a lot of N64 titles, hmmm...

Mario Kart and Smash Bros are still about skill now. Good players will still beat bad players, just as it should be. The only difference is the games have changed in a way that means even if you suck at the game, you can still have fun, more so than the previous games.

Well, SmaBro is explicitly designed to try to not be all about skill and appeal more to casual gamers, according to the developers of the game, which is why most of the dedicated Smash community prefer Melee over Brawl. But I agree, better players will win all the time in Brawl, too. It wouldn't be as much fun to troll some of the guys I know if it was actually true. :p

Mutsumi said:
Mario Kart and Smash Bros are still about skill now. Good players will still beat bad players, just as it should be. The only difference is the games have changed in a way that means even if you suck at the game, you can still have fun, more so than the previous games.
Then explain why every time I'm leading for an entire race I get blasted by a blue shell just before the finish line? Anyone who thinks recent versions are about skill have never played the older ones. Nowadays the series is designed to **** you over for being good at it. **** Double Dash and **** MK Wii.

Shuuya said:
Mutsumi said:
Then explain why every time I'm leading for an entire race I get blasted by a blue shell just before the finish line? Anyone who thinks recent versions are about skill have never played the older ones. Nowadays the series is designed to **** you over for being good at it. **** Double Dash and **** MK Wii.

Are you not good enough to recover from that blue shell hit and retake the lead? Are you not good enough to have built up enough of a lead beforehand that even after the blue shell hits you and you recover, you are still leading? Sure, I've lost a few races from being blue shelled near the finish line. I've won some from my opponent being blue shelled there too though.

Back