Fushigi Yuugi - The Mysterious Play

Miaka-chan

Stand User
As part of my never ending quest to discover what people love to watch :lol: I wanted to know who else has watched Fushigi Yuugi and if anyone else loves it as much as me :D (tis at number 2 of my top 10!!).

For the first time ever I am watching it dubbed :shock: This is mainly because the original video boxsets I bought a few years ago cost me £140 and it has taken a while for me to want to splash out on DVDs!!
The dub isn't too bad once you get used to it but it can never outshine the original cast of Hikaru Midorikawa, Tomokazu Seki and Chika Sakamoto (to name but a few!) for me anyway :lol:
This is now my 6th viewing of this wonderful anime by Yu Watase.

For those of you who haven't seen it but might want to, here is a little rundown on what it's about!

It's based on the wonderful legend of the 4 Chinese Gods, Suzaku, Seiryuu, Genbu and Byakko (I think I spelt them right :?: ). Two school girls, Miaka Yuki and Yui Hongo, find a copy of an ancient chinese book in the library and are literally sucked into the story, which takes them to ancient China. Here unfolds a tale of heroes and villians and a race to find the 7 Celestial warriors of Suzaku and Seiryuu.
The first half of the story mostly focuses on Miaka in her role as the Priestess of Suzaku and her quest to find the Suzaku 7 (Tamahome, Hotohori, Chichiri, Tasuki, Nuriko, mitsukake and Chiriko). The second half focuses on her battle with her best friend since Kindergarten, Yui, who has taken up the position of the Priestess of Seiryuu along with her 7 Celestial warriors and Miaka's quest to save Konan and return home.
Whenever I'm asked who I think is the most evil character in anime, there is always 1 name that springs to mind, Nakago from Fushigi Yuugi, you will be stunned by his evilness and at the same time you will be enchanted by every member of the Suzaku 7.

The tale is full of everything you could wish from this genre of anime (definitely shojo - appeals to female and male audiences), romance, action, bitterness, sadness (well basically every emotion going!!). The animation is wonderful, it has one of the best soundtracks ever!, wonderful character profiles and one of the best endings I have ever seen in anime! but if that isn't enough for you (it wasn't for me!!) there are also 3 OVAs!!
If this is one of those anime you've been thinking about watching, you won't be disppointed when you do! :D

I also love this serie when i got it i watch the whole seire in only 3 days

Whenever I'm asked who I think is the most evil character in anime, there is always 1 name that springs to mind, Nakago from Fushigi Yuugi,

your right he was one of the most evil characters ever, most evil characters have a reason why they become evil or are evil e.g war, bad past, or being under control but Nakago just wants power and to be the strongest guy in the world and he dose not care who he hurts and kills to get that power.

What made this serie so great was it feels like you are watching a evil fairly tale and the plot has always got a twist to it that you dont see comeing.

valha said:
your right he was one of the most evil characters ever, most evil characters have a reason why they become evil or are evil e.g war, bad past, or being under control but Nakago just wants power and to be the strongest guy in the world and he dose not care who he hurts and kills to get that power.

At the very end you get to understand Nakago a bit better and believe it or not I actually had a split second moment where I genuinely felt sorry for him :shock:

I'd say Fushigi Yuugi is shojo (appealing to both male and female audiences).

Miaka-chan what did you think of the OVA series, I didnt like them as much as the serie itself. The last OVA was the one i like least as it sort of moved far to quickly and and it felt the animtors where trying to fit to much into a small OVA serie.

valha said:
Miaka-chan what did you think of the OVA series, I didnt like them as much as the serie itself. The last OVA was the one i like least as it sort of moved far to quickly and and it felt the animtors where trying to fit to much into a small OVA serie.

Totally biased I'm afraid, if there's Tamahome and Tasuki (although I don't like his hair in the last OVA) in it, it's watchable for me :lol:

The first OVA i thought was stunning, I first saw it on fansub and I can tell you the official release doesn't have the bad language, which I felt spoilt it somewhat (Tasuki tells Tamahome to *F* off at one point and it seemed so poignant at that time. I know it doesn't matter about swearing but I was kinda disappointed he didn't swear in the official one, I'd never seen Tasuki so vibrant :p
I think the Omake scenes were absolutely hilarious :lol:

The final OVA was a let down and I haven't watched it as much as the first but still, I enjoyed it.

What I'm waiting for is the rumoured second series of FY, which is supposed to centre around Byakko & Genbu :D If there is one character in FY that rivals Tamahome, it's Tatara :wink: and I would love to see a whole story based around Suzunho :D

MangaMinX said:
*sighs* yet another series to check out, *adds Fushigi Yuugi to her massive list of animes to check out*

Actually if you only bought and watched 1 anime this year, this would be the one I suggest you should go for! I have spent the past 5 days in tears from rewatching Fushigi Yuugi :cry: From what I can gather you enjoy watching, this has every eliment :D

Miaka-chan said:
Actually if you only bought and watched 1 anime this year, this would be the one I suggest you should go for! I have spent the past 5 days in tears from rewatching Fushigi Yuugi :cry: From what I can gather you enjoy watching, this has every eliment :D

Ill definately look into this if you feel its that good :D , *moves it up her anime list*

Hovis! said:
I know what you mean. :)

Im glad others can sympathise , theres just too many good animes to see :) , which of course is no bad thing!

Just thought I'd add a quick post script!

Having just watched the OVAs again (couldn't help myself, was in an FY mood!) I can answer Valhas question on them better.

The first OVA, almost pointless and too short but necessary to introduce Tenkou :D
The second OVA, as I said before, stunning! Explains so much about the past lives of many characters (namely Chichiri) and I cried almost as much viewing this as with the actual series (and that is approx. 5 gallons of tears :lol: ).
The 3rd OVA, Sakaki is thoroughly irritating, I still don't like Tasukis hair! but it's entertaining and Tamahome is in it :lol: (although I gotta say Suzaku in his human form is almost as yummy as Tamahome :twisted: ).

Also other than Blue Seed, they have some of the funniest Omake Theatre I have ever seen :D

Back