Fushigi Yuugi - Genbu Kaiden

Miaka-chan

Stand User
With the release of the new Fushgi Yuugi saga about the Priestess of Genbu, only weeks away, I thought I'd post the synopsis of volume one here!
It sounds so good and I just cannot wait to read it.

When schoolgirl Takiko Okuda attempts to destroy her father's translation of "The Universe of the Four Gods," she is instead literally sucked into the story, becoming the Priestess of Genbu in an epic journey to find the seven Celestial Warriors!

In her first encounter, she meets the mysterious Rimudo, one of the Celestial Warriors who has a tattoo of the Chinese character for "woman" on his chest. As it turns out, it's there for a good reason: Rimudo can not only summon the wind as one of his special powers, but also transform into a woman! Caught up in pursuit, because Rimudo is regarded an outlaw, Takiko falls in with the bowman Chamuka, who is hunting Rimudo. Chamuka regards Takiko an outlaw as well, but they eventually become traveling companions, for it seems Chamuka is one of the seven Celestial Warriors as well...

Even before reading that synopsis, I wanted to read this, but now I'm looking forward to it even more- it certainly sounds even more interesting than I'd hoped. ANN only mentions two volumes in the series, though- is that all there is to the story or is there more to come?

It's an ongoing Yuu Watase project! Currently in Japan there are 3 manga volumes, which takes the story to chapter 12, then it continues monthly in "Watase Yuu Perfect World: Fushigi Yuugi". Which is her own monthly manga magazine - I'd love a copy of that :D
So hopefully, it will be another nice long manga series :p

P.S. I know who I like already, just from pics - Uruki :wink:

Another little addition to this discussion. The characters seem very intriguing from what I can see, none more so than Hien & Shigi. It looks like there's going to be a lot of antagonism between the genbu warriors!

My copy of the first volume arrived this morning and I just couldn't wait to read it (but I had to :( ). I've never read a manga book I've enjoyed more than this :D It was absolutely wonderful and everyone HAS to read it!

No it's a prequel! It's the story of the Priestess of Genbu.
If you've seen FY, you might remember the bit when they have to find the shinzaho in the ice cave and they come across the spirits of the 2 ice warriors, Tomite and Hikitsu. The shinzaho they are given belonged to the Priestess of Genbu when she went into the book in the 1920's. Her father was the guy who originally translated the Universe of the Four Gods into Japanese. It's all about her and her celestial warriors and it's bloody wonderful

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one? I only just brought Fushigi yuugi volume 1 Priestess! It was a manga series Id wanted to get for a while and I finaly brought it the other day it was great Ive re-read it 11 times since then. I have no money to buy the rest.

So there is another?

KittySeras said:
Another one? I only just brought Fushigi yuugi volume 1 Priestess! It was a manga series Id wanted to get for a while and I finaly brought it the other day it was great Ive re-read it 11 times since then. I have no money to buy the rest.

So there is another?
You have to remember that FY is quite old now. It was first serialised in Animerica, then had a graphic novel release and I bought my first 6 volumes 4 years ago. It's recently had a re-release in the US and now a UK release, so Genbu Kaiden is very new in comparison :wink:

valha said:
do you think these any chance they will be turning this manag story into a small ova anime seire??
I live in hopes! but then what would happen if Hikaru Midorikawa or Tomokazu Seki, or infact any of the big name seiyuu couldn't voice a new series, it might not be so good! I do get the impression there are quite a number of volumes for the manga and I don't think Ms. Watase will skimp on telling a story she's wanted to tell for years!! so you never know, if it were ever animated, it might be a TV series, rather than an OVA :D

Miaka-chan said:
KittySeras said:

So there is another?
You have to remember that FY is quite old now. It was first serialised in Animerica, then had a graphic novel release and I bought my first 6 volumes 4 years ago. It's recently had a re-release in the US and now a UK release, so Genbu Kaiden is very new in comparison

I had no idea it was that old :oops: I knew it was quite old thought, thats proberly why I cant find the others!!! :x

KittySeras said:
Miaka-chan said:
KittySeras said:

So there is another?
You have to remember that FY is quite old now. It was first serialised in Animerica, then had a graphic novel release and I bought my first 6 volumes 4 years ago. It's recently had a re-release in the US and now a UK release, so Genbu Kaiden is very new in comparison

I had no idea it was that old :oops: I knew it was quite old thought, thats proberly why I cant find the others!!! :x

Gollancz is currently re-releasing the original Fushigi Yuugi here in the UK, volumes 1+2 are available to buy/order in the shops (and play.com) now, with vol 3 to be released in September iirc (and later volumes following in the coming months). You can also get the US releases from amazon or United Publications.

Red XIII said:
KittySeras said:
Miaka-chan said:
KittySeras said:

So there is another?

Thanks! By the way Ive been meaning to say you have a really cute avatar :D
Gollancz is currently re-releasing the original Fushigi Yuugi here in the UK, volumes 1+2 are available to buy/order in the shops (and play.com) now, with vol 3 to be released in September iirc (and later volumes following in the coming months). You can also get the US releases from amazon or United Publications.

KittySeras said:
Viz have been rereleasing all of FY over the past couple of years and you can get second editions of all the first volumes. I have vol 1-6 in the big oldstyle Animerica books and then from vol 7-14 in the new right to left, smaller version books. It looks a little untidy on the shelf though, as there's a good 1 1/2 inch difference in the size of the mangas, plus the original Animerica graphic novels were £11.95 each :shock:

Miaka-chan said:
It was absolutely wonderful and everyone HAS to read it!

I read the first volume last night and have to say I totally agree with you. Everyone has to read it. Its so good, and I can't wait for the next volume.

Back