Further Optimum Ghibli titles

it's better than nothing though. even if i don't get to own Whisper of the Heart on DVD for a while yet it will still be great to catch it in the cinema. cinema runs do not equal big plans but they're good for publicity!

IanC said:
One cinema run does not equal big plans.

Wow....

Last time I heard, any kind of anime theatrical run in the UK was big plans.

Optimum's devotion to Ghibli films is commendable and their big plans for the theatrical releases of a lot of these films as well the previously announced "Ghibli DVD collection" is a massive boost the the UK community. Miyazaki's (and other Ghibli) efforts are a great starting point for a lot of prospective anime fans as well as being classics in their own right.

IanC said:

Wow....

While I'm not particularly thrilled about these announcements, its good UK fans that do want these titles will hopefully eventually be able to buy them on DvD or see them in a theatrical run.

IanC said:

Wow....

Well for a start Ian I work in a cinema and any kind of anime related theatrical release is pretty big news. For Optimimum to be pushing so hard to get features like Appleseed and a slate of possible Ghibli features released in smaller cinemas like the one I work at is amazing, it'll probably never happen but the fact they're making the effort and spreading word of their releases to practically every corner of the country can only be good for anime in the UK (something you for one seem particularly fond of).

Paranoia Agent said:
Well for a start Ian I work in a cinema and any kind of anime related theatrical release is pretty big news.
KDS ran in one cinema for a week. Laputa / Whisper of the heart were shown once at the Cambridge Film Festival. Even by anime standards, that's a non-event.

I'd also warn against thinking that the BBFC classifcation has any bearing on the DVD rights to Kiki / Laputa, though I'm quite positive that we'll see Whisper of the Heart now.

---

Also, Just trying to find a ghibli thread to dump these in:
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg

The boxarts for PAL R2 Nausicaa / Cat Returns. Compare with:

Frankly, I think as far as DVD art goes, the Optimum versions look far, far nicer than the Disney R1s. For starters, Ghibli is foregrounded over "Look! Disney released it!". I also suspect that the silver on those cases will be a nice shiney material, which will make them look less cheap.

Nausicaa Extras
* Complete storyboards: a look at the film's artistry
* 'The Birth Of Studio Ghibli' featurette
* Original Japanese theatrical trailer
* Studio Ghibli trailer reel

The Cat Returns
* Complete storyboards: take an insider's look at the film's artistry
* 'The Making Of The Cat Returns' featurette
* Original Japanese trailer

However, what isn't clear is whether these are 2 disc sets. I think this depends on whether 2 discs were actually necessary on the Disney release or an extravagence - the only extras seemingly ommited from the UK release (according to Play.com) are the "behind the microphone" featurettes. The "Making of The Cat Returns" / and "The Birth of Studio Ghibli" features are 30 mins long on the Disney discs. They sound tasty :p

nice finds Kupo :D

the Optimum covers do look really nice. the Nausicaa one is a little more subdued (in keeping with the darkish tone of the film which wasn't really reflected in the R1 cover art) and the Cat Returns cover just looks prettier.

my guess is that they will probably will be 2 disc sets. looks like the Ghibli films are in safe hands with Optimum! now all i need is to get the cash together...

I've also found that according to this Optimum News release, Howl's Moving Castle "will be in cinemas nationwide on [Friday] September 23rd 2005". What bearing that has on my speculation in this thread, I'm not sure, but I'm really quite sure that I'm going to be able to go to my average sized Cineworld the day before I go to Uni and see the movie, which would be wonderful!

Back