Funimation's Color Stream issue

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
I figured this warrants an interesting topic of its own.

kKX1B2F.jpg

TJZdRMW.jpg

Top image: original - Bottom image: Funi

Just recently I noticed there's been a discussion over the streams that Funi have been using. Apparently they have brightened or colour scanned their videos and people aren't happy.

It's hard to explain in my eyes but there's some comparisons:

Heavy Object
Funi vs Original

Noragami Aragoto
Funi vs Original

Overlord
Funi vs Original (or was it the other way around...)

Tokyo Ghoul Root A
Funi vs Original
It seems the issue isn't limited to just us viewers because I just found out that there's a lip-sync problem on Tokyo Ghoul Root A's episode 1 (labeled episode 13 here on the site) and it happened in the very dark scene at 16:43. I think the ADR Engineer also had difficulties seeing the mouth flaps due to the wrong color range they're using for these broadcast videos (and I can't blame him if it was the case).

Of course this isn't the first thing that we've seen this issue. A lot of Blu-ray anime titles released in the states have suffered from brightness issues which (correct me on this) as far as I'm aware Justin Sevakis has no idea how to fix.

So, the question of the day - does this bother you and have you noticed it at all?

Funimation Thread

No. It took me a while to notice what the issue actually was. I was assuming it would be a little more than questionable brightness levels.

FUNi re-encode all their videos with their logo at the beginning for their streaming service, so it's probably just a case of them having set whatever software they're using to do that wrong.

I don't know if I'd notice it while watching really so it's hard to say it'd ruin a show or anything. Still, seeing the difference it does seem to be a slight issue for areas that are already particularly bright. I could understand people being upset since they'd want to see the show as close to the way it was intended as possible, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to ask that Funimation try to fix the problem if possible. I wouldn't say it's anything to get up in arms about either though.

If so many people can tolerate their anime being released on PAL DVDs with dodgy audio changes, I doubt this would bother most fans. Technically speaking I watch most series at markedly different brightness settings too depending on which of my setups I'm viewing on, so it doesn't really bother me.

It would be nice if they would use the exact same settings/materials as Japan in general, though. The brightness really seemed to exacerbate the existing video issues on a few titles on BD.

R

Rui said:
If so many people can tolerate their anime being released on PAL DVDs with dodgy audio changes, I doubt this would bother most fans. Technically speaking I watch most series at markedly different brightness settings too depending on which of my setups I'm viewing on, so it doesn't really bother me.

It would be nice if they would use the exact same settings/materials as Japan in general, though. The brightness really seemed to exacerbate the existing video issues on a few titles on BD.

R

PAL is at least done for technical reasons, this is just a mistake on FUNi's part.

Wait, why are people acting like this is a new thing? It's been going on for a very long time now (possibly years), and I've even posted examples of it before with Tokyo Ghoul. Funnily enough since the start of last season, a certain group which rips the video from Funi's site have been releasing them with the correct colour space. For example, here's the same cap of Noragami captured at full range (0-255) and then here's the same image converted to limited range colour (16-235), matching Funi's stream.

Because I have no actual access to Funi's streams, I just assumed that this was a thing of the past which they had fixed. Interesting to hear that it's still an issue, especially when it's one which could potentially be easily rectified. It's certainly one which has pissed me off in the past. It made darker scenes in shows unwatchable to an extent since you just couldn't see certain parts (e.g. Tokyo Ghoul).

Also as a note, the issue which affects some of Justin's titles for NIS (making them slightly darker) as well as the brightness raising issue that western distributors see in general (see the SAO II post I made) appear to be something completely different to this.

Back