FUNimation to acquire some Geneon titles?

harkins

Adventurer
Just noticed this quite interesting bit of news. Sounds promising. Also interesting to note that Navarre's CEO blames ADV and Geneon's Japanese investment for the high cost of anime. Sorry if this has been referenced elsewhere already.

I wonder what titles they'll want go for?

I would like to see how they handle Shakugan No Shana in Funi Dub form... Though the reviewers were particularly positive with the Dub version handled by Geneon.

Ah, I read this like 2 days ago, Someone mentioned it on Myanimelist & everyone is cheering it on.

I would be happy for them ito pick up some of Geneon's anime like Haibane-Renmei, Black Lagoon, Heck they've already got Love Hina.

They may aswell do it.

Chrono Mizaki said:
I would like to see how they handle Shakugan No Shana in Funi Dub form... Though the reviewers were particularly positive with the Dub version handled by Geneon.
The liklihood is they would stick with the Geneon version. Geneon stated that they were still committed to creating the dubs for their (in-house) licences and would simply be outsourcing the distribtion to a third party.

Gawyn said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
The liklihood is they would stick with the Geneon version. Geneon stated that they were still committed to creating the dubs for their (in-house) licences and would simply be outsourcing the distribtion to a third party.

That sounds good, if the dubs are done it could mean getting something out quite quick. Hopefully if they do get some of the titles they could do a re-release for or finish off the titles Geneon left half released as there is obviously going to be an instant market of people like me who wan't to finish off series. Also for the likes of Black Lagoon there are people that are probably putting off getting the first series until a DVD release for the second is confirmed, and as it gains popularity it could bring in a good profit straight off allowing other titles to follow. I think where Black Lagoon is concerned a boxset of the first series followed quickly by the first volume of series 2.

Dracos said:
Gawyn said:
Chrono Mizaki said:

That sounds good, if the dubs are done it could mean getting something out quite quick. Hopefully if they do get some of the titles they could do a re-release for or finish off the titles Geneon left half released as there is obviously going to be an instant market of people like me who wan't to finish off series. Also for the likes of Black Lagoon there are people that are probably putting off getting the first series until a DVD release for the second is confirmed, and as it gains popularity it could bring in a good profit straight off allowing other titles to follow. I think where Black Lagoon is concerned a boxset of the first series followed quickly by the first volume of series 2.
As far as Black Lagoon goes, MVM are releasing (if I am not too mistaken) both series starting this year. Geneon have definitely dubbed the second series of that since they actually stated that they would complete that dub despite ceasing their distribution.

Of course other dubs may not have been started due to Geneon US having no revenue source but that is liable to change if they have found distribution deals.

Gawyn said:
Geneon have definitely dubbed the second series of that since they actually stated that they would complete that dub despite ceasing their distribution.

Ofcourse they definately got the dub completed, since The Second Barrage is airing on Canadian TV, UnCut Ultimate Dub and all(Though, there was some audio censors in the first season), on G4 TechTV.

You see things like FUNi taking the reins in nice and all, but what happens to series that are being still continued in Japan, like that Kara Maoh show ? If they get liscened by FUNimation, they'll most likely not keep the original Voice Actors, so that FUNimation can dub it in house at a cheaper cost than higher an ADR Studio like Ocean Studios, which is what Bandai, Viz, and Geneon do/did.

Gawyn said:
As far as Black Lagoon goes, MVM are releasing (if I am not too mistaken) both series starting this year. Geneon have definitely dubbed the second series of that since they actually stated that they would complete that dub despite ceasing their distribution.

I realised this after reading another thread about MVM delaying the release.

Primus said:
You see things like FUNi taking the reins in nice and all, but what happens to series that are being still continued in Japan, like that Kara Maoh show ? If they get liscened by FUNimation, they'll most likely not keep the original Voice Actors, so that FUNimation can dub it in house at a cheaper cost than higher an ADR Studio like Ocean Studios, which is what Bandai, Viz, and Geneon do/did.

The Genoen VAs are probably out of jobs so maybe FUNi will offer them contracts to finish off any dubs they have started.

Dracos said:
Primus said:

The Genoen VAs are probably out of jobs so maybe FUNi will offer them contracts to finish off any dubs they have started.
Unlike ADV, Geneon (like the majority of anime distributors) does not own its own recording studios or specifically employ any actors. They outsource their dubs to a third party company, which is responsible for the employment of the actors. Those actors will not purely work on anime so while Geneon may not have been (indirectly) paying them many would have been working on other projects.

Gawyn said:
Dracos said:
Primus said:

Unlike ADV, Geneon (like the majority of anime distributors) does not own its own recording studios or specifically employ any actors. They outsource their dubs to a third party company, which is responsible for the employment of the actors. Those actors will not purely work on anime so while Geneon may not have been (indirectly) paying them many would have been working on other projects.

I was sort of being sarcastic, but if the actors are available there is probably no real reason why the dubs can't be completed with the original cast.

Back