Funimation starts a production department

chaos

The Boss
The North American anime distributor Funimation has announced on Monday that it has hired Chris Moujaes as Director of Original Entertainment. According to the company, Moujaes will head its "important new co-production initiative" and "focus his efforts on the acquisition and development of a slate of original anime titles based on major intellectual properties."

According to Funimation, Moujaes previously worked an independing producer to develop properties for AOL Kids and served as the president of the Spoonbend branding agency. He co-founded a company called Boomstar to negotiate international television co-productions and to provide animation services through Boomstar's studio facilities in the United States and India.

Manga Entertainment, Bandai Entertainment, and ADV Films were among the other North American anime distributors that co-produced and developed anime titles, instead of just acquiring exisiting anime titles.

<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-11-23/funimation-starts-initiative-for-co-producing-anime">From ANN</a>

Because this has worked so well when all the other Western anime distributors have done it.

Lovingly strokes my collection of Samurai Gun... not.

Only the French should be allowed to collaborate with the Japanese on anime.

I dunno, MANGA is still around in the US, Bandai has a presence, so that's 2 out of 3 that are still fine. I wouldn't mind FUNimation getting in there, especially if it means that titles are released even sooner.

Just Passing Through said:
Yeah, like the french are any better at the best of times.

I can count three series that were any cop, the rest tend to be faux anime at best.

Conan-san said:
Just Passing Through said:
Yeah, like the french are any better at the best of times.

I can count three series that were any cop, the rest tend to be faux anime at best.

try's to think of any French animes full stop*

ummm Code Lyoko.............. Oban Star Racer........ nope that's it

I suppose the most successful examples of more recent co-productions are Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex, and Afro Samurai. And Geneon USA are credited as producers for Ergo Proxy, Hellsing Ultimate, Koi Kaze, Paranoia Agent and others.

This might be a move to ensure that Japan produces more western-orientated anime, since the cute slice-of-life and romance stuff that Japan is currently spewing out is generally not very popular in the US.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I suppose the most successful examples of more recent co-productions are Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex, and Afro Samurai. And Geneon USA are credited as producers for Ergo Proxy, Hellsing Ultimate, Koi Kaze, Paranoia Agent and others.

This might be a move to ensure that Japan produces more western-orientated anime, since the cute slice-of-life and romance stuff that Japan is currently spewing out is generally not very popular in the US.

Couldn't have said it better myself. But from looking at Chris Moujaes's other projects, I think FUNimation might be looking to creating things like web-shows through their website and youtube channel, rather than a large scale collaboration project.

Update: Funimation has confirmed with ANN that its new co-production initiative will bring in anime studios to adapt non-Japanese franchises. This is different from co-producing original Japanese titles as a production committee member, as some of the other North American anime distributors have done.

so that's a ben 10 anime otw then

Archaic Sage said:
Totally Spies the movie by Funimation, lol.

*cough* I actually liked totally spies when I had tv. <_< Not as much as anime of course, but, it was better than um um, what are they called, the things lots of women watch that are dramatic... I give up, I can't think of it.
I've always leaned to animated things, though some cartoons are just plech (Cramp Twins comes to mind :/). *also likes Kim Possible* <_<

Maxon said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Seriously? How would that get a release outside of Japan?

Is that cause the incest theme? Or? Cause Angel Sanctuary was out in the US in like 2001 and has the same.

Heh, there's worse things than Totally Spies admittedly. But their lovely tones in a feature length movie would be something worth crying over.

Or even worse, Johnny Test the movie.

Archaic Sage said:
Heh, there's worse things than Totally Spies admittedly. But their lovely tones in a feature length movie would be something worth crying over.
I dunno, the only one(regularly appearing) whoes voice bugs me is the mean girl that's not part of the team. :p

Back