FUNimation request YouTube remove clips, YouTube go to Japan

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to Anime News Network, US anime publishers FUNimation have told mega-popular video streaming site YouTube to remove "over 2,000 videos" for infringing copyright law related to their products (including Fullmetal Alchemist and Dragonball Z).

This news follows on from YouTube sending over a delegation of representative to Japan to discuss their issues with the Japanese Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers (JASRAC) after they requested "30,000 clips" be removed. Given YouTube is now owned by the upstanding global super business Google - this could be the turning point for YouTube; a site that has been dogged with copyright issues since day 1.

I assume so, yes - especially in the case of the Japanese companies who aren't likely to understand the positive qualities of AMVs.

AMV's are the primary reason I invested in buying Witch Hunter Robin and Serial Experiments: Lain, two of my favourite series. A shame really.

Paul said:
the positive qualities of AMVs.
I do believe i've missed them all... AMVs aren't something i'm about to miss, especially on Youtube which is clogged with a thousand and ten such embarrassments for every anime series you've ever enjoyed. There was a time when AMV makers got their Media Studies A-Levels and the world was never troubled with their cheesy and style-less creations again. Now they appear in every anime search to emerge and engulf you in a naff-tastic bubble of fail. If their destruction means the removal of copyrighted opening and endings and other clips from series, so be it. It's a small price to pay for never hearing 'One Winged Angel' over 45 rubbish anime trailers (that all inevitably have the subtitles on and flicker between aspect ratios like an epileptic seizure).

i don't really use Youtube anymore, i did, but not now. I've seen only a couple AMV's also but none really inspired me to buy any anime's that where shown in it..to maybe see that side of them i may need to see more.

Once an AMV has subs in it is branded a failure. How am I meant to take you seriously if you can't even get raw content? ;[

I buy the DVDs after I watch the sub, I did with FMA and I will with Keroro Gunso. Japan should shut up because they are getting mass free-promotion this way.

kupoartist said:
Paul said:
the positive qualities of AMVs.
I do believe i've missed them all...

95% of AMVs are especially rubbish; Linkin Park / Evanescence with Naruto is the worst offender. Melodramatic teenage angst + boring nu-metal = bad AMV. That said I have 45 AMVs stored up over the years, many of which are fantastically put together and a credit to the anime community. If you genuinely want me to prove you wrong I'll happily point you in the right direction.

But of course there are a minority of well put together AMVs. I'd just gladly throw them into the great god's fire as an offering to get rid of all the rest of them (because finding the good ones is like trying to find a haystack in a needle. Quite improbable.).

Paul said:
95% of AMVs are especially rubbish; Linkin Park / Evanescence with Naruto is the worst offender. Melodramatic teenage angst + boring nu-metal = bad AMV. That said I have 45 AMVs stored up over the years, many of which are fantastically put together and a credit to the anime community. If you genuinely want me to prove you wrong I'll happily point you in the right direction.
Indeed, most are trash but there are some rather technically outstanding ones out there that don't reek of bad cheese left in the sun.

All my feelings about AMVs are summed up in this topic.. Except I feel that 99.99% of AMVs = fail.

For those who enjoy browsing through em though, I wouldn't worry until animemusicvideos goes down or some feasible anti-torrenting plan comes into effect. LOL. Unfortunately that also means we won't be spared DBZ to Linkin park anytime soon.. just fewer of em on youtube. *shrug* Honestly doubt this'll make a massive difference overall really but time will tell..

Back