FUNimation license FMA animated shorts

Aion

Time-Traveller
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... st-premium

ANN said:
The Fanboy Review website reports that Funimation has acquired the Fullmetal Alchemist: Premium Collection set of animated shorts, and was dubbing them with the original English cast before the new year began. The Premium Collection includes the "Seven Homunculi VS State Alchemists" short that was screened at the Universal Studios Japan amusement park's Fullmetal Alchemist Premium Tour to promote the 2005 Fullmetal Alchemist film. In this "what-if" story, the two sides of the conflict face off in one giant battle. The Premium Collection also includes three DVD shorts that shipped after the movie ended: "Live Action," "Chibi Party," and "Kids." These shorts were the last animated footage created for Fullmetal Alchemist — until this coming April's new Fullmetal Alchemist television adaptation of Hiromu Arakawa's original manga.

A Funimation spokesperson told ANN that the company is "hoping to make an FMA related announcement at Ohayocon later this month." The Ohayocon event takes place in Columbus, Ohio from January 30 to February 1.

More FMA is always a good thing. I vaguely recall watching the "Kids" short... I can't remember much apart from an old (as in, near death old) version of Ed sitting in a chair. I can't remember enough to know if it's worth buying or not, and the same goes for the others.

You've been working hard posting all these news articles :) thanks.

I'll definitely pick this up so long as they don't do something cruel like putting it in a new box set bundle (I have all the rest of FMA). It's always annoyed me that silly spinoff episodes never get picked up any more so I want this experiment to do well!

R

Seven Homunculi VS State Alchemists - Great short watch, the others weren't too good though.

Also, unrelated but I can't believe I paid for FMA individually, the boxsets they're bringing out in the UK are cheap and awesome as hell. ._.

Rui said:
I'll definitely pick this up so long as they don't do something cruel like putting it in a new box set bundle
My sentiments exactly, although I couldn't see them doing that (making it new-bundle-only). Got to love stuff like the YUA Mini Specials - although in the case of these shorts I can't help but feel it would have been <i>even cooler</i> if they'd somehow worked something out with Viz to release a DVD/manga bundle when Viz gets the next volume of the manga out. Don't know how they would have co-ordinated that, but DVDs attached to manga volumes has been all the rage (ish) for a little while now in Japan, would be cool to see it make its way over here.

Lupus: but, then again, we got the DVDs 3 or 4 years ago by buying the singles, right? So I'd consider that a fair trade.

' "Live Action" is a three-minute live-action clip of Alphonse walking around Tokyo and visiting the BONES animation studio. It was filmed using one of the two full-scale Alphonse statues that were made for promotions (one of which Funimation used at many North American anime conventions). '

lol, totally bought just for this.

ilmaestro said:
I'm not sure what you mean - this is just a three minute short, filmed as a bit of a joke. Unless I've misread something.
Sorry, I've misread your previous post and thought there was a FMA live action something (movie / series or the likes)

Back