Funimation license Beck?

Mangaminx

Stand User
A post on the AnimeOnDvD forums has indicated that Funimation have the license to the popular anime BECK, about a struggling band searching for fame. The post is not a direct confirmation by Funimation but instead is a statement by manga publishers Tokyopop saying: "Cross promotion with anime to be released by Funimation in March 2006" in reference to the Beck manga.

If Funimation do indeed have the license to the BECK anime (It has yet to be officially confirmed by them), UK fans should turn their eyes to distributors MVM, who have released several other Funimation titles here.

It's good that Funi have it, they'll do it right. I think the best thing to do when dubbing this is to dub the english voices in Japanese. I'd like to see how they decide to do it though. Looking forward to this. ^_^

dub the english voices in Japanese

But then that would make aboslutely no sense at all, dubbing Beck is possibly the stupidest idea I have ever heard, one of the main themes of the show is abot language barriers and differences between Eastern people and Western people, they are going to rip the heart right out of this show.

It will be interesting to see how FUNimation handle BECK, its dubbing poses some unique problems.

But generally, this is great news. I loved the series and the manga is my all time favourite so I can't wait to see if this eventually gets a UK release. Fingers crossed.

I'm really looking foward to seeing how Beck's dub is handled. Even if dubbing in damages the show, it does open up the anime to an audience who prefers dubs. I'll be watching it subbed, anyway.

it looks like quite an interesting series - quite an unusual subject for an anime, which should make for refreshing viewing.
Paul said:
It will be interesting to see how FUNimation handle BECK, its dubbing poses some unique problems.
dubbing the band's songs, you mean? i'd rather they kept it in Japanese like they did in Aquarian Age, but there would be the inconsistency between the voices when singing and speaking. an intersting problem indeed.

Concrete badger said:
it looks like quite an interesting series - quite an unusual subject for an anime, which should make for refreshing viewing.
Paul said:
dubbing the band's songs, you mean? i'd rather they kept it in Japanese like they did in Aquarian Age, but there would be the inconsistency between the voices when singing and speaking. an intersting problem indeed.

It's not just the songs, there is a huge deal about the language barrier, English and Japanese. Some main parts of the plot are about this and there are many parts that are spoken in English.

Yes, various characters in the anime are English, while others are Japanese. There's a lot of scenes focused on difficulty between speaking the two languages.

Back